Tents, tarps, bivvies... help!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

arkay

Tents, tarps, bivvies... help!

Post by arkay »

After a couple of trips out I feel like I have been bitten by the bikepacking bug (well, I certainly have plenty of itchy red lumps in annoying places), so having begged and borrowed some kit previously I need to get a shelter of my own.

I don't have loads of cash to spend so I am pondering what type of shelter system would offer the best all-round flexibility. I like the idea of being able to sleep under the stars in fine weather rather than hidden away inside a tent, but equally I want something suitable for all weathers. I have been looking at Joe's shop for inspiration and quite like the look of the mesh bug bivvy, to combine with a tarp as needed. But that looks like it would need some more complex tarp rigging to give space for the bivvy underneath, plus more poles. Last time I just used a tarp rigged between handlebars at one end and 29" wheel at the other, which gave enough headroom for a mat and sleeping bag but that's about it.

Or alternatively the ultralight tents on Joe's shop which have a mesh inner and a waterproof outer, so I could use just the inner on those balmy summer nights England is renowned for, and the full tent on the other 363 nights. Can anyone who has used one of these say if they are any good as they look like a bargain: https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... -man-tent/

I'm sure the pros and cons have been discussed to death on here but the search doesn't help with common words like "tarp", so perhaps the old hands here could cast their minds back to when they were young(ish) and keen(ish) and offer some advice to what I should buy.

If it matters, I am in southern England so midges are not such a problem but we still have our share of bitey things. I envisage most of my trips will be simple overnighters fairly locally but I also have a couple of 3- or 4-day trips on the wish list in the not too distant future.
whitestone

Re: Tents, tarps, bivvies... help!

Post by whitestone »

Be prepared for a flood of "I use" replies :lol:

Generally:

Tents - you know how they go up so to begin with are much simpler and less worrying. That's also their weak point, there's no flexibility. They are like an Airfix kit - you bought a Spitfire, you've got a Spitfire so you can't make a Hurricane.

Tarps - very flexible but you do need to know what to do. They are like a pile of balsa wood - you can make a Spitfire or a Hurricane (you just need to know how).

In between those are the shaped tarps like the SMD Gatewood & Luna Solo or https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... tarp-377g/. They have the ease of pitching of a tent but are close in feel to a tarp.

The Gatewood is sort of the opposite to your inner-only idea. It's an outer only but you can use a mesh inner or a bivy bag should it be bug season.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Firstly, there's no right or wrong way to do this :wink:

For absolute versatility, I think a bivvy coupled with some type of tarp is hard to beat. Carrying that combination allows numerous set ups depending on conditions and circumstance. However, some folk simply aren't happy beneath a tarp and then, something like the shelter Joe sells makes a decent compromise - not quite a tent (in the eyes of those who favour true tents) but way more than a simple flat tarp (potentially). BTW, they look very good and the separate inner does increase their versatility and provide more options.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think for overnighters, particularly if you can be choosy with weather, a flat tarp and lightweight bivvy bag is the way to go. Don't use bike bits for the pitch though as this adds to the faff. Get a pole, guys and pegs off of Stu, work out one pitch and use it all the time. After a few goes you can get a tarp up in a few minutes. The only real issue is if you get a wind change overnight (and its raining) which may require a re-pitch. Also in view of the somewhat annoying rules on 'camping' down there, a tarp bivvy is more likely to be overlooked (cue hair splitting debate)

The tarp tent / mesh inner or lightweight bivvy is my choice for iffy weather and midges and the one in Joes shop looks a good and cheap option when compared to an SMD offering
rivers

Post by rivers »

I bought an Alpkit Elan hooped bivvy earlier this year. I only used it a few times so far, but I'm really happy with it. If the weather isn't great, you can fully zip up the bivvy. If it's nice, you can just zip up the mesh to keep any bugs out/have a bit of fresh air. It's very waterproof as well. I can also store a few bits at the bottom as well as I'm only 5'2".
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

if you are skint i would get a cheap tent personally- its covers all scneariosn where as a bivvy does if you have alot of skill.
IME getting into a tiny bivy when you are wet is sub optimal- ye its often annoying ot be inside rather than ourtisde but for t year round Uk us ein our changeable weather its hard to beat it

Its all personal choice ,I am sure there are folk here who only ever use a Bivvy or Hammock etc, but tired wet me wants the simplicity of a tent that pitches outer first.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with that set-up from Joe’s shop. I’m also in the south and it’s surprising how often you can get away with just a bivy bag. I’d also say that I rarely worry about bug protection down here, so I might be more inclined to get the Tyvek bivy and tarp to start with, as that gives you the option of using the bag alone for out-in-the-open stealth bivying. You could always use that with a midge head net.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Came in to give a long post about all the stuff I've tried (and mention that the bug bivvy is tiny, btw), ending in "Alpkit Soloist would be a good starting point". Randomly, the topic under this is:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20569
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

If you want a decent view of the stars how about one of the Six Moons offerings and leave the front open.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:16 pm If you want a decent view of the stars how about one of the Six Moons offerings and leave the front open.
I often sleep with my head sticking out of my Lunar Solo. I've woken up with rain falling on my face and just pulled myself back under cover.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Having used a tent for years I got a flat tarp a few years ago to save weight on short trips.
I didn’t get on with it much, too much faff and not enough coverage for me.
I moved to a shaped tarp/tarp tent in the form of a SMD Gatewood Cape and am very happy indeed.
Over time I’ve added a home made Tyvek floor ( which I washed in a washing machine :wink:), a Serenity bug net/floor and a lightweight bivi.
I’ve now got a super versatile ‘system’ that I can mix and match to suit my needs according to the trip and weather.
The Gatewood offers really good weather protection, is simple and quick to pitch and offers an airy sleeping under the stars experience if you pitch it high and open. Add in the bug net if needed. Use the bivi as well if it’s really wet or just use the Tyvek ground sheet and away you go.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I am fortunate to have a few options.

For good weather I love the Gatewood cape. It is light, small and versatile. I made a DIY groundsheet and Stu's carbon pole and it works really well.
That said, if I could only have one then I do really like the Alpkit Soloist tent. It might not be perfect, but does things well and is still quite light and small. I probably use bivy bags the least as most are similar weight and size as a Gatewood cape, but have less space inside.
arkay

Post by arkay »

Thanks for the replies all. One thing that looks less than ideal about the Soloist is that you have to pitch the inner first, which means potentially getting wetter if it is chucking it down. Is that a significant drawback? It looks pretty quick to erect so maybe not.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I can’t speak directly about the soloist but lots of tents pitch inner first. MSR and North Face are prime examples. Whilst this is less than ideal, my experience is that it doesn’t matter too much in practice. If you are slick at putting up the tent, even in a total sh1t storm, the tent doesn’t get wet enough to cause any more grief than all the wet clothes and kit you’ll end up dragging in after the tent is up anyway.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

arkay wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:51 pm Thanks for the replies all. One thing that looks less than ideal about the Soloist is that you have to pitch the inner first, which means potentially getting wetter if it is chucking it down. Is that a significant drawback? It looks pretty quick to erect so maybe not.
You can pitch outer first with the (optional) footprint. I just test pitched mine yesterday the standard way though, and it took less than 2 minutes before the outer was on top/protecting it so not too bad.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

You can have the soloist pitched in under 5 minutes pretty easily and under 3 minutes with some practice. I wouldn't let that be an instant no to certain tents as I am sure there are others that are also brilliant and inner first.