jones mudguards

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cocker

jones mudguards

Post by Cocker »

sorry if this has been asked before,but any suggestions for front and rear mudguards on my jones swb plus{running 29x3 front /29x2.6 rear}?
thanks
fatbikephil

Re: jones mudguards

Post by fatbikephil »

Excuse the mugshot but here is my Jones lwb 29+, all guarded up.
Up front its a muckynutz size large mugguard. I cut the wings off it and used a fork steerer expander wedge bung thing to bolt it to the bottom of the fork steerer. A cable tie round the front bit of the truss forks stabilises it. Mudhugger do a shorter one. I also have a muckynutz gut fender on the down tube to keep gunge off the frame bag and BB, as well as my feet.

Out back its a Mudhugger Large Rear mudhugger. The normal ones are OK too but a bit shorter. I've got a bit of polyprob sheet bolted between the chain stays and seat stays to fill in the gap between the BB and the mud hugger. This keeps spray off the back of your legs and the BB.

Probs about 500gs in total but I wouldn't go out without them as they keep most of the glop off you and look OK too...
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

I have the same setup on my 29+. One thing I have done which I find very useful is to add a sheet of 2mm plastic (you can use an old tub or something) on the back of the front mudguard. My sheet is probably about 15cm long and a bit wider than the guard itself. I attach it with 3 cable ties (one at each side higher up and one in the middle right at the end of the guard -holes drilled through the guard and the sheet) and I find that with that, everything above my knees stays completely clean, regardless of the muck
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ditto the front guard method - woodscrew, Leffe bottle cork and a Crud Guard rear mounted to the front. Currently using a modified Crud Guard rear to the rear (modified so the POS guard-mount interface stays in one piece!). The rear in this pic is a CycraGuard, they were much better. An old pic. The front guard's till there 9 years later.
Joe

Post by Joe »

With my truss fork I used a mudhugger FRX (I think it is the FRX) but I drilled some extra holes to zip tie it onto the front part of the truss. Very solid that way :-bd
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

thank you very much,i'm going to have a look at those this weekend

cheers