Ireland - Wild Camping vs. Passenger Locator Form....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slugwash

Ireland - Wild Camping vs. Passenger Locator Form....

Post by slugwash »

Hi,

I'm thinking of catching the ferry to Rosslare in a fortnight for a few days bikepacking (currently less tests needed than a trip to France). However, you need to fill in a Passenger Locator Form in advance to gain access through the port of entry. This is meant to give the accommodation address for the duration of your trip. As our address will be a different beach or wayside wood each night I'm not sure how to go about this and Google hasn't thrown up many answers so far. Have any Boners been turning their wheels in the Emerald Isle of late? And, if so, how did you navigate the Passenger Locator Form? Any route recommendations and info. on bike touring in the bottom half of Ireland greatly appreciated too.

Cheers.

Link to PL Form if anyone's interested......

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900 ... cator-form
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Ireland - Wild Camping vs. Passenger Locator Form....

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It looks like it's based on the UKGov PLF, this you can re-submit as you have new information. Reading the requirements on the www it mentions updating the form, therefore, update it as you go along? If I were bivi-ing in the "wild" and not with loads of people I'd not bother updating, just do it for "formal" accommodation i.e. campsites, B&B, hotel etc, if you use them.

There's usually helplines but the quality of advice is variable.

All just my 2p, no direct experience in Ireland.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Well this is an interesting and new thing! Hurrah for Brexit.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Put down no fixed abode, cycle touring.

After spending a lot of time touring in my home country I can only offer one piece of advice - if bivying set up late and go early. A lot of landowners can be really irked along the southern coast. There is a lot of historic resentment of the travelling community in the ROI. A person in a tent is more often seen as a vagrant than a cycle tourer/hiker.

If you get good weather though.... you'll have a cracking time along the south coast, it's ace.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Hurrah for Brexit
"Hurrah" for Covid I think Greg :???:

Or the insidious loss of basic civil liberties masquerading behind the pandemic, depending on your outlook :???: :???:
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psling

Post by psling »

Same for France too. The thing to do is book accomodation for your first night in the Country before you travel, you may also need to give proof of a minimum balance available in your bank account. The paperwork may or may not be checked on arrival in the Country. Once you're in, you're in; carry on as normal. Re Eire, as Greg says, wild camping can be erm, challenging.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:18 pm
Hurrah for Brexit
"Hurrah" for Covid I think Gregg :???:

Or the insidious loss of basic civil liberties masquerading behind the pandemic, depending on your outlook :???: :???:
Ahh yes, track and trace and so forth.

Just two g's BTW .
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

psling wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:37 pm .... Re Eire, as Greg says, wild camping can be erm, challenging.
Definitely. I'd say worse than challenging, but at least I can speak local.

Down when dark, up before light and it'll should be ok.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

GregMay wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:09 pm
Hurrah for Brexit
Just two g's BTW .
I dont know what you mean :wink:
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

.... Re Eire, as Greg says, wild camping can be erm, challenging.

Definitely. I'd say worse than challenging, but at least I can speak local.

Down when dark, up before light and it'll should be ok.
That should suit my cycling companion who likes to colonise his bivi spot for a good twelve hours and wave his 50000 lumen torch around like a searchlight whilst hunting for newts! :lol:

Thanks for the info chaps. I've just spoken to someone who's recently back from cycle touring there and said he gave his first night address on the form and carried on without issue for the rest of the holiday. We'll probably book a campsite for the day of arrival and use that address then.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hurrah for Brexit
"Hurrah" for Covid I think Greg :???:

You've had to do this for at least forty years when visiting the US. The first time I went (1979) I was stopping at friends so no problem, second time (1984) I was camping in upstate New York and just gave the address of the local climbing store. Doubt anyone checked.

I can't remember if UK citizens had to do it prior to joining the EU (Common Market as was then) but I think it became an EU thing for non-EU citizens which of course we now are.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I knew I should have put a bloody 😉 in that post 🙄

😎