Van recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Re: Van recommendations

Post by boxelder »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm I just thought I’d post on this thread that I have a T6 California so you can all hate on me. Now worth more than I paid for it 5 years ago.
😆 Likewise - T6, love it, depreciation over last 3 years = -10%
Sort of irrelevant, as I'm not selling.
OP - not sure why standing up is so important if not converting it? I'd check out Caddy size vans to see if they'd meet your needs. Fiat Doblo etc. For a bigger van, a Merc Vito may suit you more if used to Audi - just check for rust.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

VW really are like clitorises aren't they.
May the bridges you burn light your way
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

....well mine's a sort of purplish colour (the van that is).
But go on, presumably something about what they attached to?
Last edited by boxelder on Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

a Merc Vito may suit you more if used to Audi - just check for rust.
No need to check really.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:09 pm
No need to check really.
Mine was really clean when I bought it, I went crazy with Waxoyl in all the internal cavities and it still rusted really badly. The rust just came through in the middle of panels with no apparent cause (not on seams where you'd expect it), they're notorious for it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 pm ....well mine's a sort of purplish colour (the van that is).
The follow up line is:

Every **** should have one!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was actually thinking, 'every c**** got one'
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:44 pm I was actually thinking, 'every c**** got one'
A year or so ago I was driving my T5 and a blinged up one came towards me. The driver made a “W” with his fingers. I really wish I’d been quick enough to give him the V back. I think you’re right Stu. Changing mine to a WV T5
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I mentioned my Caddy earlier, I also own a VW Crafter lwb with the maxi body. It's at the converters at the moment, so no pics sadly. My house is sold and I move out on the 27th of this month, the van will be ready mid October and I'm going to live it for a while. 🙂
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:44 pm I was actually thinking, 'every c**** got one'
What's the difference between a hedgehog and an NV 200? The hedgehog has the pricks on the outside!
Sorry, had to respond on behalf of all us *@#ts who drive VWs. :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:16 pm
No need to check really.
Mine was really clean when I bought it, I went crazy with Waxoyl in all the internal cavities and it still rusted really badly. The rust just came through in the middle of panels with no apparent cause (not on seams where you'd expect it), they're notorious for it.
Sorry. "they're notorious for it" was the point I badly failed to make :cry:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Looked into vans a few years back.

VW's too expensive for a small van and highly prized by van thieves looking for a quick sale to sell them on again.

Fords too rusty, Mercs were too expensive

Ended up with a Peugeot Boxer LWB and High top

The good things
Rust prevention - Galvanised body
Cheap
Drives very well
Has the best ford van engine in it, 130,000 miles and running fantastically
Cheap to repair
08 plate sails through every MOT
3 vans - Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato and Citroen Relay all came off the same production line and sold well so spares will be no problems.

The bad thing
This model/engine although great only has a 5 speed gear box
No cruise control
Not as economical as a 6 speed box
The spare wheel mounting is made of biscuits

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:22 pm
Jurassic wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:16 pm
No need to check really.
Sorry. "they're notorious for it" was the point I badly failed to make :cry:
No, I got your point and from personal experience can confirm that you're absolutely correct.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

whitestone wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:21 pm
boxelder wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 pm ....well mine's a sort of purplish colour (the van that is).
The follow up line is:

Every **** should have one!
Ah, right. I thought it must be 'the source of great pleasure, for those who know'.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No doubt a source of great pleasure for those who can find one :wink:
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

To balance out some of the 'Vitos rust' above, I understand that they were galvanised post late-2006 which resolved the rust which affected earlier versions.

I've had a very clean and reliable 2007 Vito for well over 4 years now - it's great as a second occasional vehicle, spacious (LWB), nippy (for a van) and really versatile - tailgate, twin sliders, I've fitted swivel bases up front, armrests all round and rear seats which all fold individually and are easily removable. It does everything from tip runs, moving people between houses, camping (with a decathlon inflatable awning), biking trips for 5 etc. :grin:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Just getting back to the OP. So many vans. So little time.

Do you intend to sleep in it at campsites? If so, you'll need to do some conversion works and get it reclassified. I have no idea why this is an issue but having no idea whatsoewver, the first time I turned up to a campsite near the FOD in my Transporter which I intended to sleep in, I was asked for my conversion certificate which I didnt have of course, and was turned away. And again at the next one, I realised where I was going wrong and said I was going to sleep in a tent in the back. Sailed through.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-caravan

Honestly the whole thing is a complete mess. One of the requirements is "motor caravan style graphics on both sides of the vehicle" which I guess is why they all have those silly stickers all over them.
I'm just going outside ...
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Around a year ago I imported a Nissan Elgrand and I think it might be the best car/van I've ever had. I haven't converted mine but many do. Seats eight and the configuration is such that you can have 3 rows of seats, or 2 rows and a big rear (boot?) space. The middle seats are captain's chairs and spin round to face the rear. The back two rows also fold flat if you wanted to sleep in them. It was around £6.5k landed in the UK. 17 years old and had done 20,000 km (yes kms!). It came from Japan so RHD and because of the lack of salt on the roads over there it was immaculate. Although relatively old, it's was way ahead of its time so has keyless entry and start, auto wipers, lights etc. TV that drops down from the ceiling. 2 sunroofs. Although it feels big on the inside it really drives more like car. Only downside is that it can be quite thirsty as it has a 3.5L V6. The upside of that is that there is plenty of power for overtaking even if you have it loaded with bikes (and boats in my case).

DSC_1153.JPG
DSC_1153.JPG (94.38 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:11 pm Just getting back to the OP. So many vans. So little time.

Do you intend to sleep in it at campsites? If so, you'll need to do some conversion works and get it reclassified. I have no idea why this is an issue but having no idea whatsoewver, the first time I turned up to a campsite near the FOD in my Transporter which I intended to sleep in, I was asked for my conversion certificate which I didnt have of course, and was turned away. And again at the next one, I realised where I was going wrong and said I was going to sleep in a tent in the back. Sailed through.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-caravan

Honestly the whole thing is a complete mess. One of the requirements is "motor caravan style graphics on both sides of the vehicle" which I guess is why they all have those silly stickers all over them.
The chances of getting it re-classified seem to be slim to none at the moment, everything comes back as "van with windows". The only affect this will have is van speed limits, motor caravan limits are the same as a car. Insurance shouldn't be affected.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:45 pm The chances of getting it re-classified seem to be slim to none at the moment, everything comes back as "van with windows". The only affect this will have is van speed limits, motor caravan limits are the same as a car. Insurance shouldn't be affected.
The gov.uk link says that reclassification won't affect the speed limits

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

I've been looking into small vans, only those that are 'car delivered' don't have to stick to the lower van speed limits. It's based on weight so campers based on vans will still have the lower limits. On the VW Caddy FB page it appears that plenty of people have been caught out recently.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A bit more reading and it's even more confusing :???:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/ ... ed-limits/
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I dscovered that it isn't purely about weight. Things like capacity, windows and door configuration also play a part. As said, it gets quite confusing and also petty.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

From that article it's likely that since DVLA won't reclassify a conversion you'll end up paying commercial rate insurance since that goes off DVLA records.

As for speed limits, if you are going long distance then you'll most likely be on motorways so same limit as domestic car, once you are on single carriageway roads while you are limited to 50mph in practice there isn't much difference. It's dual carriageways that will most likely catch you out.

Going from home over to my brother's in the Lakes in a car takes 80mins, in the van it takes an extra five minutes. That's sticking to the limits for both vehicles.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a T6 Kombi. It's categorised as a dual purpose vehicle so I can do car speed limits as long as the rear seats are there. Have nearly forgotten a couple of times when I've taken them out to pick up big stuff

A couple of people with a kombi categorised as a dual purpose vehicle have got off speeding finds by proving the vehicle can be treated as dual purpose rather than commercial only

It's a T32 with a dsg box, I just creep below the mass in service limit. If I'd have had 4motion fitted I'd be over

I also had a few more hoops to jump through for insurance. Normal places wouldn't insure me. Went through Brent acre, easy and still cheaper than my old car insurance
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As for speed limits, if you are going long distance then you'll most likely be on motorways so same limit as domestic car, once you are on single carriageway roads while you are limited to 50mph in practice there isn't much difference. It's dual carriageways that will most likely catch you out.
I think it depends where you live Bob. Many of the roads here are still national speed limit, so it can be fairly easy to get caught out. Also, most of the roads that cross the border are dual carriageway, so plenty of care needed there. The last time I got stopped, the copper himself said the reduced limit was stupid and should be changed ... but obviously that didn't stop him writing me a ticket :wink: