Van recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Van recommendations

Post by ootini »

So, my wife and I currently own a car each, but neither is perfectly suited for our adventuring/ camping holidays.
Shes got a Nissan Qashqai: high driving position, tow bar, good ground clearance etc, but small boot, 2WD, farty little engine, manual.
I have an A6 Avant: massive boot, automatic, 2l diesel, nice inside. But, awful clearance ( s line so lowered), huge alloys = £200 tyres, 2WD.

Long story short we're thinking of shifting the Audi on and replacing it with a van for family adventures. I don't plan on any kind of conversion so to speak, other than racking in the back for storage and load carrying. I'm assuming something Vivaro sized, preferably high top so I can stand inside it. So H2 L2/1 would be good

I've never owned a van so wanted to ask if anyone had pointers, recommendations, what to avoid etc.
Probably have a budget of £15k.

Thanks
Bumpy Jonas

Re: Van recommendations

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

I drive a transporter and it would be my recommendation However high tops in these are hard to find I have a pop top roof. Its not a good time to buy a van they are all fetching premiums due to camper van converters and self employed delivery drivers buying them up. I never wanted to convert my van either only putting in a bed platform and a heater. I have spent over £20.000 converting the original van over the years and probably will spend another 5k before the end of the year so be warned.
Cheers Peter
benp1

Post by benp1 »

sellers market at the moment. check what you can get for £15k and then check if you actually want it

also see if your wife is happy sitting in a twin passenger bench for longer journeys. they're not the most comfortable thing, especially compared with an audi. if you get a captains chair as a passenger chair it's MUCH more comfortable but it's also more expensive
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've had numerous vans over the years and currently own a T5 camper and a Renault trafic for work purposes.
I'd buy another Trafic any day of the week.
Both trafics that I've owned have been brilliant(until I sold the first and it lunched itself the following day, buyer was a bit of a knob :grin: )
T5's are just a bit meh.
Hate all transits.
Vivaro's are good.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I own a previous-generation Trafic, bought as bike transport, which I insulated and lined then eventually did the deed and had fully converted to a camper. I do love driving it, even more now that I've had it re-classified and so don't have to abide by the lower speed limits. It shows its "industrial" roots in the firm handling, though this does mean it also corners well and isn't saggy over bumps. We had a pop-top roof installed as part of the conversion. That does make a massive difference to comfort while camping and lets in lots of daylight. High tops are much harder to come by, though cheaper to convert if you end up down that route (our roof cost £6k,painted and fitted!). I'd definitely look at some sort of high-levels windows or roof-light though.

I've driven T4/5s and (for a living) Tourneos. I find them soft and rolly in comparison, though they are undoubtedly more "car-like" inside. The Tourneos were also ridiculously thirsty.

We still have the 2-person bench seat and it's never been a problem on any journeys. Captains chairs would be nice though :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I always think when I see a VW van - "to all viewers, this van is full of expensive outdoor gear, please break in and nick it"
Whereas a slight beat up Ducato (for example) is more likely to be over looked...
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Taylor wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:27 pm Both trafics that I've owned have been brilliant(until I sold the first and it lunched itself the following day, buyer was a bit of a knob :grin: )
I've heard that as well.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I've a T5 - most unreliable car/van I've ever had, but as it's converted to a camper and has some emotional attachment we've still got it 12 years later. Piece of crap though.

My youngest is looking for a Vivaro - going to convert it to a dog / camper van himself if he can get one for the right price.

Beware on vans that they are limited to lower speed limits on some roads (50mph on dual carriageways for instance) - and ANPR cameras can ping you. Mine is a "motorhome" with normal car limits, but it was re-registered before the SVA rules came in.

I'd try a few - they're not cars and they don't drive like cars. Plus they can be thirsty, and over 80mph they can get a bit wobbly (despite what a delivery driver will tell you). And height restricted barriers can present a problem especially for a high top.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

rufus748 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:03 pm
Taylor wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:27 pm Both trafics that I've owned have been brilliant(until I sold the first and it lunched itself the following day, buyer was a bit of a knob :grin: )
I've heard that as well.
Evening Andy, just checked, it's still going!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Recently driven a few different vans (hired ones for moving house etc). I believe they would all have been the base models.

2019 Vivaro. NIce. Smooth, quiet. Decent cabin. Good engine. Gearbox was a bit rubbish - never quite sure what gear you were going into. And this is coming from someone who drives a Leyland Daf 200 as their main vehicle so I know a thing or two about horrible gearboxes!

2021 Transporter. Great cabin and entertainment system. Space in the rear was smallest out of the three vans. Loadbay slightly higher too. Steering was incredibly light which made it a little vague. Very quick throttle response - almost too quick. Engine had lots of turbo lag and ran out of puff a bit early. Extremely quiet in the cabin! Had the highest amount of toys/features/extras in it.

2020 Transit Connect. Cabin was similar to Vivaro. Best loadbay area - lower and wider than the others. Best engine - linear power delivery. I definitely found myself driving this one the fastest! No cruise control and the infotainment thing was the worst. Steering/handling was by far the best weighted but had a weird thing where it felt difficult to come right off the centre, kind of tramlining? But once you moved a few degrees from centre line it felt lovely.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I drive a Caddy, it easily takes 2 mountain bikes and enough kit for any cycling and camping we want to do. When I bought it I looked at bigger vans and brought a couple home on test drives to load them with stuff to make sure I got what I needed. In the end I ruled out bigger stuff and it was a choice between normal or long wheelbase small van. The normal was plenty for our needs so that's what be bought.

Vehicle prices are silly at the moment, good news for me as I'll be selling the caddy in a couple of months, not so good if you're buying though.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Also have a Caddy that we've coverted into a basic camper/tent on wheels. You dont get the head room but its about as close to the feeling of driving a car as you can get from a van and still pretty good on the mpg! Works pefectly for our one vehicle househouse as we only use it for trips or lugging bikes/camping gear about.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We're on our second NV200 (please don't ask about the first, God rest its soul) and really can't fault them. Not as big as many vans but still surprisingly roomy. The latest is actually a 7 seater with windows all round, the previous one was a 5 seater with no rear windows. Can generally be bought quite cheaply (compared to most vans) with low miles - I recall the latest is a 16 plate, had 18k on it and cost 10k.

Drives very much like a car, returns around 60mpg but Steve says, do check it's class. New one is down as a 'car' old one as a 'van' ... we've both attended speed awareness courses after 58 within a national speed limit driving the previous one :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I had a T5 and now have a T5.1. The first was base spec albeit a carpet lined Kombi. The 5.1 is a highline 180, ten years newer and understandably a nicer drive. Both managed 40-45 on a run.

I like having QR seats in the back and I can remove the double single-handed so it's not that heavy! My first one had 18s and my second 17" wheels and its a lot quiter, comfy and the tyres are cheaper.

Wouldn't say I hate Transits (like Taylor!) but the new ones we had at work weren't as nice to drive as my 170k miles original T5. There seemed to be no initial torque so pulling away and parking was a faff.

I love having the vans, they've been the "best" cars I've owned for all round enjoyment, but as has been said above, check if the current market gets you what you want in budget.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

htrider wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm I always think when I see a VW van - "to all viewers, this van is full of expensive outdoor gear, please break in and nick it"
Whereas a slight beat up Ducato (for example) is more likely to be over looked...
A friend of mine bought an old van and had it signwritten like it was a plasterers van. He said nobody in their right mind would break into a plasterers van as they hardly have any tools and what they do have are very low value.

If you can wait till the winter then vans are always a lot cheaper then. I would look for a 'race van' as these have a huge storage area for motorbikes and sometimes a bit of a workshop too. The bed and cooking part is usually fairly minimal in a race van but that sounds like it might work for you. Sleeping in an uninsulated van isn't that great - you get condensation dripping on you, it's hot in summer and baltic in winter and the rain is very noisy. For 15k you could pick up a reasonable van that someone has converted already and save yourself a lot of work and expense. Travelling in one would be a much nicer experience all round.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Having spent the past few years of my life converting vans and working on them daily would definitely agree with anything but a vw.

Personally drive a LWB trafic and it’s great has lots of toys and cost brand new £15k with delivery mileage.

The transit customs are ok to drive but definitely get extra locks fitted to them as they are so easy to break into.

High roof vans are pretty rare to get and also depends where your planning on going as height barriers on car parks then become an issue.

Definitely get a test drive in a few as coming from an a6 avant to an old van can be a shock at what little toys you get.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

ootini wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:06 pm ... awful clearance...
Not in any way knocking the van plan but what are you doing in your A6 that requires better clearance? Or is the current clearance stopping you driving onto the beach like you want to?

Just asking as I'm not sure what clearance in a road vehicle is required? If it's beach and off-road you're after maybe you should look for a Bongo or one of those ex-military Russian APC things. :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I expect I'll be in the minority here but I've never got the "need" so many people seem to feel to posses a van.

They just seems like a big old fuel-inefficient tin box being used to 5% of it's ability/capacity, 5% of the time*. Personally I just got an estate and even that feels a bit profligate except for the odd occasion when it's loaded up with the whole family. But I can't figure out what a better alternative [edit - I meant compared to the estate, I'm unconvinced a van is necessary for me or many others] would be for me in my circumstances, except for leaving it parked up and biking into the office ;-)

Hey ho, not hating, just a bit bemused / puzzled.

Are there no folk that "regret" getting one?

* random numbers, don't ask me to show my workings or quote sources ;-)
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

When I had a van I liked being able to put the bikes inside rather than fannying around with a bike rack and having bikes covered in road filth when I arrived. Also they felt safer inside.
I did like having a vehicle I could sleep in, I must admit. It opened up the world to a whole new set of possibilities. Sure you can camp, but not easily or safely in an urban context.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:04 pm I expect I'll be in the minority here but I've never got the "need" so many people seem to feel to posses a van.

They just seems like a big old fuel-inefficient tin box being used to 5% of it's ability/capacity, 5% of the time*. Personally I just got an estate and even that feels a bit profligate except for the odd occasion when it's loaded up with the whole family. But I can't figure out what a better alternative would be for me in my circumstances, except for leaving it parked up and biking into the office ;-)

Hey ho, not hating, just a bit bemused / puzzled.

Are there no folk that "regret" getting one?

* random numbers, don't ask me to show my workings or quote sources ;-)
I've ruminated over one a few times however I need a car for most of my journeys for various reasons so a van would be an additional vehicle. When I looked at the costs of buying and running I realised I could hire one for any trips I wanted to make with the bike for a lot less dosh overall. Obviously less flexible and no scope to convert it to a camper but no MOT's, no insurance and no crawling around underneath fixing another vehicle....
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

I'm a trafic fan as well. I've moved the platforms between vans over the years. It's great to have bikes on top and boxes underneath.
I tend to run with 6 seats and 5 bikes.

I'm a reasonable home mechanic which helps. They do go wrong and a code reader is very helpful!

Dave
psling

Post by psling »

I thought that was lock-down hair-dos in that photo ^^ but then realised it was just people you don't like anymore with their faces scratched out :lol: :lol:

I ran a Toyota Hi-Ace for many years, excellent van and didn't miss a beat. No longer made, I think its replacement in UK is a collaboration called the ProAce. I now run a Fiat Ducato but it's a much larger beast.

As well as the speed limit thing mentioned a few times above, one thing to look at with commercial vehicles rather than car-derivatives is the insurance cost; commercial vehicles usually have much higher premiums.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Read most of this thread whilst sat in a field in a van! TBF, it was raining :roll:

We've a Peugeot Partner which is basically a Berlingo without rear seats and windows. As such it's the same ground clearance as that, or pretty much any other car/van, apart from sporty models. The lower speed limits are only really a "problem" if you generally have clear roads - I came back from the Lakes this evening and according to the trip computer the average speed was 40mpg, that's using the A590 and A65 so not exactly minor roads.

Definitely higher insurance, presumably because of theft of tools, etc. from commercial vehicles. Also you can't just transfer insurance from a standard car insurance you have to cancel that then find a commercial insurer. If you are using it for a business, even partly, then your partner can't use it for their work unless it's the same business - I think this is just a general commercial restriction. Domestic use is fine. Ours currently has some mucky tools in the back, not the sort of thing I'd want in the back of a car.

Noisier on the road, basically you are driving an echo chamber, so unless you line it with something soft be prepared for that.

If you want to sleep in the back of it then unless you are really short you will need a long wheelbase model.

Whatever you look at, make sure it's low mileage, a friend who owns a garage/repair shop doesn't even look at the make/model when buying SH cars to move on, just the mileage. He says that these days the body work will last multiples of the mechanics which tend to go around the 100K mark - they don't just break but more and more things need replacing/fixing around that point. Deliberate obsolescence. :sad:

Finally there is a bit of a van shortage at the moment (well according to the media): a mixture of the factories being shut due to Covid; vans being bought up by Amazon et. al. delivery drivers and people buying them to convert to campers for staycations, again Covid related.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I just thought I’d post on this thread that I have a T6 California so you can all hate on me. Now worth more than I paid for it 5 years ago.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

It seems I'm in the minority here but having owned two five cylinder T4 Transporters, a Merc Vito and now a five cylinder T5 Transporter and also with loads of friends and family members who drive VWs I would struggle to recommend anything other than a VW. Mine have all been excellent and while the Merc was mechanically reliable it rusted really badly, guzzled fuel and generally lacked the charm and personality that the T4s had. The T5 is more modern, much more powerful (174bhp) and I do like it but the engine isn't as smooth and revvy as the old T4 lumps were.
In the interest of impartiality, I do have a work colleague who bought a T5.1 and had loads of problems with it (my sister and a couple of close friend have T5.1s and have had no issues with them though). Work colleague replaced his 5.1 with a LWB Transit Connect which he hates even though it has been reliable. You pays your money.......
I think that once you've had a van (of whatever type) you'd struggle to go back to a car though, they're just so much more practical and useful if you like carrying loads of outdoorsy kit.