Suggest some socks.. pls

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest some socks.. pls

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not the Darn Tough as I couldn't afford another pair just yer.

Not the Endura BaaBaa as they only lasted me a year but have been lovely through that.

Something that's a blend of the above... feel nice on the feet and (as I used em) are multi seasonal and non stikny (they were for me).

Not the HJ Hall army issue types as they're too warm and I already have a pair and they're the thicker yarn which I like in winter but maybe not now.

Something that might be avaiable in town or at OutdoorGo...

Summay not made in China as I'm going to wear em for a Demo at London China embassy against the 100 years of Uigher genocide and I'd feel more comfy with non china socks...

Pls help
Scud

Re: Suggest some socks.. pls

Post by Scud »

I can only suggest the Defeet Woolie Boolie socks, usually cost about £15 a pair and mine have lasted nearly 10 years now, merino wool and decent warmth too.

States they are made of US Merino wool (so not much better politically!)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I get on well with Finisterre's Last Long socks:
https://finisterre.com/collections/socks/wool
Made in Loughborough, apparently.
HUX

Post by HUX »

I really like my teko socks for riding. They are 4years old now and show no wear at all. I will definitely buy some more.
Eco friendly etc.

https://www.tekoforlife.co.uk/
slarge

Post by slarge »

I really like my Carnac socks from PlanetX - however they only seem to come in garish colours and don't actually last very long. Good while they last though.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I love cep socks for hiking/biking and just about any other outdoor activity.

Made in Bayreuth, Germany.
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:10 pm I really like my Carnac socks from PlanetX - however they only seem to come in garish colours and don't actually last very long. Good while they last though.
I remember these Steve... They were lovely but lasted me about 3 months if that.
ton

Post by ton »

bridgedale merino hiker light. last me a couple of years. for nits too.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/bridg ... colour=145
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Bridgedale aren't cheap but do last, for me at least. Lots of options as well, length, weight etc.
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:37 pm I get on well with Finisterre's Last Long socks:
Just ordered 3 pairs... thanks Landslide :-bd

There's a sale on. 3 for 2...
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Get thi sen down to Mountain Warehouse.
Plenty of good socks there or m u show some solidarity and go sockless. :shock:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
redefined_cycles

Mariner wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:59 am Get thi sen down to Mountain Warehouse.
Plenty of good socks there or m u show some solidarity and go sockless. :shock:
It's a (mental) comfort thing Mariner. Plenty of days I've turned off my 0345 alarm and gone back to sleep (to skip the 40 mile cycle commute) to drive to work an hour or so later. But when the socks are right, it's one extra incentive to get myself out... :grin:
redefined_cycles

Bearlegged wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:37 pm I get on well with Finisterre's Last Long socks:
Now I'm totally confused.. Your name has changed??

Socks arrived. Got my daughter (9) a pair. She couldn't stop smiling as they feel so solid, like slippers she telled me. Mine feel nice too and can see how they should last ages...

:-bd
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

+1 for Woolie Boolies - for cooler weather, at least - they keep your feet warm, even when wet, and don't pong.
Has mine for at least 5 years, and they are still going strong
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Carnac/Holsdworth socks from PlanetX are good value and have worn well.
I like the Argyle ones, :-bd Wool loop sock went 'felty' on the inside ,but these polyester ones have worn really well and seem to stay fresh/ dry quick, are good value. also Merino options.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/footwear/socks
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I bought some socks from Planet X recently. Despite my misgivings about buying merino from uncertain sources, I gave in to their pricing :oops: I bought a pair of merino and a pair of synthetic in the same style, and I can't tell any difference between them. I even took a lighter to a bit of seam inside, and both seemed to melt rather than singe. I know they're a blend rather than 100% but it made me a bit suspicious of how much wool is actually in them. For the money, they're probably OK, but I'll probably just put my hand a bit further into my pocket next time.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I melted a hole in the arm of my sportwool jersey from Torm when I skidded along the road in it so while it's only one data point, it does imply it's not just a feature of cheap merino blends.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Together with mine, it's two data points, so fair enough :cool:
Mart

Post by Mart »

ton wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:01 pm bridgedale merino hiker light. last me a couple of years. for nits too.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/bridg ... colour=145
I got some the other day whilst up in Manchester - they had a bargain bucket in the Didsbury store :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Mart

Post by Mart »

I also do cheapie merino form PlanetX
Usually buy about 5 pairs every autumn (£3 each when on offer)

Wear them all out by spring time, and buy new again the following year
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Just an update here if anyone might find it useful. I think it was the Finisterre I went with first. Lasted ok but not nearly as long as I'd hoped (don't ask me why/what I do with em to make em fall apart quick). There were 2 pairs that I bought with one being a thinner version.

Then I bought some Merino Teko socks. Mid to heavy versions and after that some more Darn Tough. The Darn Tough have already started thinning out but the Teko are going strong. I wear all my socks alot between washes and in that regards they've all been great - no odour to the point that sometimes I'm having to confirm with the family.

I know my next socks will be some more Teko. Excellent planet-savibg strtegy.they have too IIRC.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

You can return your Darn Toughs for a new pair Shaf

Just google darn tough returns uk
redefined_cycles

Shewie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:22 am You can return your Darn Toughs for a new pair Shaf

Just google darn tough returns uk
That's v true Shewie (thanks) but it just doesn't sit too right with me*. Especially after wearing them thoroughly (like 4 or 5 days straight at a time) for at least 4 or 5 months. I think somehow I deem to abuse socks beyond their capacity. It's the Merino that wears away everytime and they are super comfortable and for deep winters I don't think anything else comes close to warmth/comfort.

The Teko, though a tad colder (for winter in the medium thickness) don't even look worn at all. Definitely will be sticking with this company now.

*Based on retail law in Islam and the fact that they really are really really good/comfy and soft - I reckon if they fixed that top layer searing out issue then they'd just not be as warm/comfy anymore. I might clarify it with the local scholar once again though...
redefined_cycles

Sock Review

Could easily open a new thread on the subject, but then that'd be too easy to find and this being BearBonesB, where'd the fun in that be! So with that said, I'm here today wanting to talk about my socks history and maybe a little best to acceptable categorisation. Hence anything bordering on tripe, won't be mentioned.

1. Teko: Come in Merino and plenty other materials. I got the idea from this very thread and since mid 2021 I've now owned at least 3 pairs and gifted at least one (the feedback a year or two later was, a picture of em on with the message 'best socks over). In three words, I'd agree with my buddy and the flavours I own are the 2 mid weight, mid calf socks and the one heavyweight mid calf.

I've almost worn through the mid weights - all approximately 60% merino but definitely tougher than the Darn Toughs - but they're still going strong. Can wear em on my feet for at least 3 days with daily deep feet washes in between and there's no 'pong' whatsoever. Once you get to the 5 day mark you probably want to be thinking about giving em a handwash at least and then feel free to pop em back on.

They dry quickly, aren't made in China and the quality control as well as after sale support is superb. Sadly the UK suppliers from Scotland seem to have almost disappeared though they did get back to me with lightening speed after I made a slight complaint (coming from my dad and elder brother, but after I checked out the same pair it really was unwarranted) through the US website.

Would I buy again, yes definitely but I might size down in the heavy weight versions. This Decembers 313 mile ride I took em off after 200 miles and lots of damp/wet/humid, my feet stunk but the socks definitely did not. Washed em under the tap with soap at the masjid and popped em back on after a good squeeze.

The heavy weight versions, I've done similar with the washing. Again, just a couple of weeks ago and an extended stay in Liverpool due to work-cover. I took em off after 3 days of wearing and worried they might be going into the 'stinky' stage. Gave em a wash in the Travelodge wash basin and squeezed. Then wore em again the next morning just 7 hours later in much all day comfort.

2. Darn Tough: Definitely not as tough as the Teko but also a lot more 'velvety'. Worn through at least 2 pairs in less than 15 months each but the pleasure of wearing was unparalleled - yes that does mean they're a more enjoyable experience than the Teko which can feel a little, slightly, harsh - and the lifetime warranty claims were not tested. Though I do have it on good authority that it works just as it should.

Made in Vancouver so again you can be rest assured that people were hopefully paid properly for the workmanship. Definitely not made by, 'oh sh*t I hate my frigging job... when's weekend coming so I can get drunk and forget about it all' folks ( sorry :lol: ) and the quality control is superb. Fit is as it should be for a £28 pair of socks and for completeness of information, the only reason I didn't chase up the lifetime warranty is due to religious preferance and the fact that I probably had over 3 years of use in them 15 or so months!!

3. Dexhsell last better than SealSkinz but in my expereince they're all a bit of a farce. Maybe I'll buy some more one day but, over 10 years experience of both before investing in the Darn Tough and I never had a pair last me much more than 1 year (or 8 months) of fairly average usage.

Other socks I've tried... alot. Crikey, how much merino were nice but the workmanship a bit shoddy at the toes. The Planet X thin merino were also good, but you gets what you paid for. Woolie Boolies I probably took a cursory look over at some point but doubt I invested. Bridgdales seem a bit too bulky and the HJ Hall have gone down in quality since manufacturing moved away from Nottingham (IME).
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I swear by Woolie boolies 😀

Definitely give them a try
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer