#jennride 2021 26th June

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: #jennride 2021 26th June

Post by Richard G »

boxelder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 am Surge testing started in Cumbria yesterday, due to a spike in Delta variant infections. Be extra vigilant if you're heading to the Lakes.
Yeah, I'd honestly be reconsidering if it wasn't for the fact that I've had both my vaccinations. Getting like the wild west out there.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Me too. Double jagged, but still careful. It's 12-30 yr olds they are focussing on. Some locals are getting twitchy about visitors though, so always good to be extra considerate - I don't mean for this event obviously, as not much 'groups inside' stuff going on. Just good to bear in mind when you do stop, as I find myself forgetting about it all occasionally these days. I'm planning a leisurely L300 Fri-Sun and Staveley's just right for the Fri evening.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm staying at a pub for a couple of days beforehand, which yeah... does make me a bit twitchy.

Sigh... I remember when all this sh*t was simple. Not least being able to stop places on route without worrying about table service / checking in / booking in advance.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

If anyone is up for a beer with Billy no Mates here - the friends I was going to meet are now working.
Is there a bar up at the campsite, or is it Hawkshead Brewery again? Guess I'll get the info when I get around to processing an entry (was down for M100).
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Hmm... that's a point. Will probably need to book for Friday night.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Will probably need to book for Friday night.
At the brewery bar? Yeah, limited capacity when I was there recently. You'd to wait to be seated inside or out.
ton

Post by ton »

If anyone is up for a beer with Billy no Mates here

Andy, yes mate, i am if i manage to get there friday. but it may be saturday because i am on grandad duties all week. :-bd
le randonneur

Post by le randonneur »

Hi all,

I have just entered the event and having not ridden in the Lakes (or done any BP trips) for an age I have a few Qs:

- Is there anything planned for Friday night? Pizza van per chance...?

- What options are there for meals or snacks on the route? I have never carried a stove before and the pleasure of a cafe / pub meal goes a long way to making an excellent experience!

- Do I need cash for the ferry?

- What tyres... only kidding!!!

I will be double-vaxed and very happy to join up with another rider(s) who has local knowledge on the best detours, etc!
Feeling quite excited at the prospect of re-learning how to do all this again.

Thanks,

Craig
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Wow... only just noticed the slightly watery section thanks to that post. :lol:
Mrhoppy

Post by Mrhoppy »

I think it's a whole £2 for the ferry and they're card only from what I read.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

le randonneur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm Hi all,

I have just entered the event and having not ridden in the Lakes (or done any BP trips) for an age I have a few Qs:

- Is there anything planned for Friday night? Pizza van per chance...?
Dunno. Usually there's a slide show/lecture on the Friday night but not this year.
le randonneur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm - What options are there for meals or snacks on the route? I have never carried a stove before and the pleasure of a cafe / pub meal goes a long way to making an excellent experience!
Pubs in: Hawkshead, Coniston, Seathwaite, Boot, one further up the valley, Old Dungeon Gill, Stickle Barn (New Dungeon Gill), Ambleside.
Shops: Hawkshead, Coniston, Ambleside.
le randonneur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm - Do I need cash for the ferry?
See above.
le randonneur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm - What tyres... only kidding!!!
Round ones.
le randonneur wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm I will be double-vaxed and very happy to join up with another rider(s) who has local knowledge on the best detours, etc!
Feeling quite excited at the prospect of re-learning how to do all this again.

Thanks,

Craig
I'm going to be pootling around, aiming to be at either the ODG or Stickle Barn for tea, then find somewhere in the woods for a bivy.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I might not be making this. I've been feeling dizzy / sick for the last four or five days and I don't seem to be getting much better. I might be by the weekend but I'm supposed to be travelling up Wednesday and that's not looking likely right now.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

ton wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:10 pm
If anyone is up for a beer with Billy no Mates here

Andy, yes mate, i am if i manage to get there friday. but it may be saturday because i am on grandad duties all week. :-bd
:-bd
I'm planning to be around Staveley from around 8pm Friday? No plans other than a couple of days on the bike - Friday down from Keswick and will probably head home from around Grasmere/Eskdale on Sunday.
May yet have some family duties myself, but hopefully catch you there somewhere.

Ferry tickets are 50p if you buy in bulk in advance from Kendal Town Hall, but the contactless thing might scupper that:

"To protect customers and staff during the pandemic we will no longer be accepting cash payments. Instead pedestrians and cyclists will need to use contactless payments at the 2 kiosks on each side of the lakeshore. These payments will be made through a glass screen to protect the staff and the public. Pedestrians and cyclists will also need to wear face coverings at all times whilst on the ferry as a condition of travel."
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Strangely looking forward to this although the route will most likely break me :-bd Talking of broken I’ve a busy Thursday evening, drive back from London, pop into Tim,s to borrow a mat, call at parents in and hopefully pick up a fresh rear caliper (it’s being delivered there, unfortunately they don’t have any interest in fine bicycle components) escape being force fed then get the bike ready :-bd Hopefully the weekends damage toll will be slightly less than last weekend.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just seen the email about there basically being no food options after 8pm. I'd forgotten how ass backward that part of the world could be...

(no apologies to locals! :lol: )
ton

Post by ton »

Richard, the local chippy is vaguely exciting. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Realistically I'll be there after 9pm on Friday so no chance of getting food. Will bring something with me for the evening and the morning

Does anyone know if we have to book to get into the brewery? Wouldn't mind a beer with some of you lot if I recognise any faces 😁

Will be in the van so will either be in the field or that car park in the email
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Email says "see you there" (brewery), but I just can't see how that would work.
elliptic

Post by elliptic »

I'll be there on the blatantly overbiked 160mm Orange alpine. Prolly won't make friday night though - staying over in Ambleside most likely.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Gonna take the (off ground) fire pit to the "campsite" and have a few beers with mates in the field, the walk to the pub and back is far too far away and I'm not unpacking the bike until the morning.

All Bear boners welcome to toast their marsh mellows on the fire if you fancy, bring beer, snacks and a chair :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bringing beers sounds like a safer bet than hoping to get served I reckon.
ton

Post by ton »

good idea that John. i may join you if i get there friday.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've arrived, miracle.

Remains to be seen if I have what I need with me!
postierich

Post by postierich »

food at the Eagle till 9pm I reckon, pizza best to prebook on the website, but might be possible to get one walking up I do all the time! hoping they will stay open late this year. Brewery is open and plenty of space.
Updates on eventbrite emails
295 riders booked on space for 5 more see you all in the Brewery Friday Night and the ODG Saturday night
£4500 raised so far
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/richard-munro11
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

All Bear boners welcome to toast their marsh mellows on the fire if you fancy, bring beer, snacks and a chair
......and midge repellent if it's still - they're fairly busy this year 🦟🦟