Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by RIP »

Nothing less than poetic that, our Chris :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ta. It's a good thing I don't write for a living, my output is very much influenced by my mood. Thankfully, last night put me in a good one.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Landslide wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:02 pm Ta. It's a good thing I don't write for a living, my output is very much influenced by my mood. Thankfully, last night put me in a good one.
I'm not surprised you're in a good mood after that, looks very serene
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In progress.

Pitched not too far from the campsite I'm actually paying for and enjoying the sights and sounds of breakers rolling in off the Atlantic.

10 o'clock and still half an hour to sunset
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:03 pm actually paying for
:o :???:

Awooga! Rule #5 infringement detected in Zone 6! Clear the area immediately whilst observing all safety precautions! Awooga! :grin:

Although that's a very unusual one indeed for the adjudicating authorities - paying for a campsite then actually bivvying outside it :smile: . Possibly a first? :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

5/5 for this year

May's BAM was done on the WRT . My first group experience since last year's Winter event initially it felt quite strange but soon turned into something that seemed to be normal what a lovely feeling that was :smile: . After plenty of tea and bacon rolls Peter and me set of and as usual were the last to leave . A nice ride up the valley followed by a steep HAB got us to the first grid reference on the road below the Star I had always wondered about that bridleway and as Matt said before we left once you have done it you probably won't bother again ! The obligatory river crossing got us into the Hafren forest for plenty of gravel riding leading to a superb bridleway then lane to the A44 . A long road climb followed so that we could wave i the general direction of another GR shortly after a bivvy spot presented itself so we stopped set up camp dressed for dinner ate well and retired to our respective flat bits guess who's wasn't as flat as it looked , it was a bit cloudy but the moon was visible so was surprised to wake up around 2 the victim of gravity and cold and wet it was the first night using a Borah Bivvy bag with a cumulus 150 quilt I knew the Borah wasn't waterproof as the thick cloud we were now in confirmed fortunately I had a synthetic fill jacket which kept me warm enough for the rest of a sleepless night .
ImageP1010187 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImageP1010192 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The sun burnt the cloud off reasonably early so got everything fairly dry before we set off to the café in Pont-rhyd-y- groes for breakfast 2 on the way we had to stop at the old mine workings near Cwmystwyth for a wander about ,
ImageIMG_20210530_095218009 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The café was good and the clientele were almost all cyclist's . Pete suggested taking the off-road option to the join the road that would after one false summit after another take us around the Claerwen reservoir this turned out to be something of a bikepacking super highway with us as usual going against the flow it is part of the Trans Cambrian trail .
ImageIMG_20210530_164123359_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A late lunch in Rhayader that was eaten in proper vagrant style outside Clive Powells then off in search of the next GR our chosen bivvy spot didnt seem to be getting any closer but we kept going we arrived around 11.30 got set up and after a bit of faffing went to bed this time with the added protection of my tarp it was a Chrystal clear night and it would have been rude not to enjoy some stargazing before closing my eyes .
Dehydration was obviously a factor as I slept right through, the morning revealed what a stunning place we were lucky enough to have found ourselves in .
ImageIMG_20210531_063715783_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210531_063800096_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

After breakfast we got a bit of a move on to get back in time for cake if I remember correctly we did about 3 miles in 2 hours in order to access the Llandinum wind farm after some silly navigational errors on my part Pete got us on the right track to Llandinum where a lovely lady made her outside tap available to us, we had a brew and some food by the river , only the small matter of getting back now which seemed to take a long time and involved a hell of a lot of climbing . True to tradition we were last in about 5.30 thankfully some cake had been saved :grin:
Stu made some some tea we had a chat it seemed to be getting darker i looked at the time it was nearly 9 time sure flies :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

June.
This had meant to have a been a longest day ride of some length but an iffy forecast for the weekend and a healthy dose of cba lead to me taking an easy option, albeit with a bit of a hill. Machine of choice was the fatbike for no other reason than its got gears....

Friday was a total write off thanks to the stupid computer crashing and me spending several hours trying to get it to back up my files before resetting itself, ultimately failing. Thank god I had most stuff on a pen drive.... So it was with some relief I pedaled off into the sun. Nothing fancy; just roads and trails to the Ochills above Dollar, one fairly arduous climb out of glen quey and a pitch up at a spot I'd scoped over the winter.
Sheltered by a narrow strip of forestry but breezy enough to (mostly) keep the midges at bay. Getting quite good at the old tarp erection.
A fine view north to the Perthshire and Stirlingshire hills.

Sat out making food and drinking beer (homebrew in a couple of those folding water bottles plus a couple of cans) and swatting midges when the breeze dropped. Turned in as it cooled down at 9.
Clouds were blowing in overhead from the coast and the wind was on the increase.
Crashed out at 11 then woke briefly by the tweeting of birdies at dawn. On looking out it was misty, there was no wind and it was drizzling on and off. Just as well I didn't follow the forecast and went with bivvy bag only..... Woke again at 9(!) then lazed around in the bivvy eating breakfast and drinking coffee in the hope the mist would rise. It didn't so I packed up and headed off at a decadent 11.30.

Cloud started lifting as I descended but much rain around by the looks and sure enough I got well watered on the last few miles to the house
Quite useful these on the whole. Pity I kept forgetting to use them...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:30 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:03 pm actually paying for
:o :???:

Awooga! Rule #5 infringement detected in Zone 6! Clear the area immediately whilst observing all safety precautions! Awooga! :grin:

Although that's a very unusual one indeed for the adjudicating authorities - paying for a campsite then actually bivvying outside it :smile: . Possibly a first? :-bd
😂

We're on Uist on holiday. Mrs Routes was happily soloing in the campervan while I rode into the sunset for my bivvy.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Jimmy G, Thank you for renewing my resolve to go and ride down Glen Etive, it somewhat ran out when I was on the HT but the rose tinted glasses are full-on again so I shall definitely return - probably in late September when the midges have all gone back to bed.

My May BAM is an HT claim. I'm gonna pick this as my favourite pitch Image because it felt wrong to be racing away from it - so I stayed in bed till 10 am. Damn I miss the legality of wild camping.

Off out for June tomorrow night with both my favourite boys - Landslide and TSK for a solstice pilgrimage. More on that later.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:30 pm

😂

We're on Uist on holiday. Mrs Routes was happily soloing in the campervan while I rode into the sunset for my bivvy.
Crisis averted :smile:

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:15 pm Jimmy G, Thank you for renewing my resolve to go and ride down Glen Etive, it somewhat ran out when I was on the HT but the rose tinted glasses are full-on again so I shall definitely return - probably in late September when the midges have all gone back to bed.
My pleasure Trep! Btw I must take this opportunity to congratulate you on your HT550 achievement. That and your excellent post-ride write-up and your Q&A with Stu. :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
RIP

Post by RIP »

With Mrs P having rescinded my June weekend passes I've been pleading for an alternative. Earlier today her people faxed my people with a new offer of a midweek pass. Due to some quirk of fate they'd filled the form in wrongly and given me 3 days!! So before they have time to realise the mistake I've dashed down to the station and jumped on a train - choosing the fastest one to get me the furthest away from the authorities.

This turns out to be Bangor in North Wales, 230 miles away :???: and at least four hours by motor. As it happens there's one direct train a day from me at 18.42 which only takes 2h40m - astounding. I quickly decided it's going to be a Slate Quarry Finding Mission! I realise this carries the risk of re-opening Shaf's "quarries" thread but it can't be helped :wink: .

The basic idea is a desperate search for a spot near Bangor tonight (graveyard?) then work my way down to Criccieth or somewhere, winging it and looking for the next quarry on the horizon as I go. I'll have gone to heaven! Apologies for not making it a social occasion because I need to be super flexible and you'd probably get bored after the 56th quarry unless you happen to be the long-suffering BDS.

Anyway, here we are in the restaurant car enjoying a five-course dinner with drinks at 125mph. No of course not, sadly they no longer exist so I'm having to improvise. Not like the old days sadly, although a meal gazing out of a speeding train window is the height of civilisation in my book.

Actually a pal of mine and his missus recently went on the Royal Scotsman train and I invite you to inspect the tariff for amusement: Grand Taste Of The Highlands - a mere £9500. Each.
https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/s ... AQAvD_BwE . He said they had an incredible time. Here I am enjoying pretty much the same thing for about five quid. Admittedly I don't have a spa bath (*) to retire to afterwards, but I do have a nice view and a glass of something which is all I ever ask for really :smile: . See you out the other side....

(*) I guess the best I can hope for is a Spar bath :lol:

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Have an excellent time Reg, I hope you get everything you wish for :-bd :lol: .
May you always have tail wind.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

“Stupid! And beautiful!”
Trep gently slapped my arm. I’d already realised that the trailhead was not in fact “about half a k as the crow flies”, and that I’d mistakenly read out a spot height from my GPS (not a distance). It turned out to be a very navigationally-challenged crow too, as it was a bit over 4km of rocky paths, vertiginous sheep, redundant stiles, verdant cloughs and steep uphill pushes before we got back on track. As a pair of hares leapt in the saddle of moorland below us, we agreed that I was not sorry.
↟↟↟
Flashback to the night before, which saw four of us rolling out into a sunnier evening than the weather forecasters had predicted. Smiles were shared, tales of the (Highland) trail were told, and all was well with the world. We zoomed down, and reached the bottom of The Very Big Hill, at which point one of our gang decided it was an appropriate time to head for home. We pointed out that making this decision *before* zooming down The Very Big Hill might have made more sense, but we wished him well, and the bivvy trio continued on our way.
↟↟↟
A bit of tree cover along the next stretch gave enough shelter for the local gnats and midges, and anyone feeling the need for a little bonus protein would only need to open their mouth as they rolled along the gravel track. We passed a gaggle of geese, Mother Goose hissing gently as we passed her gang of fledgling goslings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQZMFCKBqsL/

A little further on, we turned off the main track, and started to alternate between riding and pushing our way up the steep slopes of the valley. Breaking out of the tree line, we were rewarded with the last of the sunlight, and as the gradient eased off, we found a flattish spot for the night, raising beers and whiskies* to the sunset that ushered in the night before the longest day.
↟↟↟
After a decent night’s kip, I woke to the sun rising at the head of the clough, and a small cloud of winged teeth congregated around my head net. Thankfully, it was at this point that Trep decided to fire up her stove, the Law of Sod dictating that any attempt to make a brew would be accompanied by the breeze picking up. Got rid of the midges at least. Breakfast taken and bags packed, all that was left was to “Just head up here, then join the track along the ridge…”
↟↟↟
Back into Sheffield, and along the trunk road, groaning with the morning rush hour. Ducking off to the side, I found quieter paths, wildflowers, and a bacon butty. Happy solstice, everyone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQZMf3gBku3/

*There was an assiette des fromages et charcuterie and some rhubarb flapjack too.
Bonus June bivvy.
2021 BAM 6/12
2021 total bivvies 7
Current streak (months) 31
Last edited by Bearlegged on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thank you Peter. Everything? That may be a little difficult to arrange in Bangor on a damp Monday evening. On the other hand, you know what they say about Bangor. The clue's probably in the name :lol: .

Just passing Rhyl (*) and the windfarm. "Would you like another beer Reg?", "Well yes I don't mind if I do, thank you Reg". All very relaxing. Very relaxing.

(*) best thing to do really
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:52 pm “Stupid! And beautiful!”
Well that's not a very nice thing to say about your best mate Trep! :grin: . Best delete half of it before she notices :lol: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:52 pm *There was an assiette des fromages et charcuterie
A Ploughman's y'mean?

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Nah, Port Salut and a continental salami. No pickled onions either. Went down a treat on top of a cheese scone though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Breakfast on the beach :smile:

Second breakfast in the quarry :smile: . A stunning first quarry, Penrhyn.

Off up the mega hill to Dinorwig next.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Hope the weather there is better than the weather here!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep I've got 2021's sunny day in Llanberis! Absolutely knackered having biked from sea level to the very top level of Dinorwig quarry. The whole place is utterly stunning every time I see it. Made up because I finally reached Australia level... the hard way... photos another time.. a taster though:

Like Verena had the other day, it was a very emotional experience. A sensory overload. The engineering, the history, the stories about the workers. Oh and all that sexy slate towering over everything :X :X :X

I've had to retire to Pete's Eats for a large veg breakfast (third one, at 3 in the afternoon :smile: ). I'll need it - going over Telegraph Valley to Waunfawr next I think. Then who knows.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As previously related, we've been up on Uist for our annual jaunt and I took my fatbike with me for some relaxed beach riding and to get in a June bivvy. I had two spots in mind. The first was a hill called Cleitreabhal. It's not huge at a mere 133 metres. but it still dominates the north east end of the island. My second choice was to find a beach or clifftop so as to enjoy the sounds of the sea. The latter won out.

I set off after dinner, with a little bit of road work then just making my way across the grassy machair to find a location far enough away from any houses. When I arrived at one little headland, I reckoned I'd found the right spot. I was disturbing a couple of Oyster Catchers and they peep-peeped around me for 10 minutes or so as I was setting up the tarp. After that, they'd got used to my presence and proceeded to ignore me until the morning.

I could make out the remote islands of St Kilda in the evening light, though a hoped for sunset didn't happen. Still, it was nice to chill out with a couple of beers just listening to the ocean and the occasional bird.

Of course, it doesn't really get that dark around these parts around the solstice anyway. As a result I was awake very early, made a coffee and just sat watching the waves until I reckoned it was time to head. Of course, I couldn't miss the opportunity of another beach ride on the way back to the campervan.

In fact, I was feeling so chipper that I headed up Cleitreabhal on my way back. Very glad I did too. Not only were the Curlews and Lapwinf putting on a show, I was treated to two short-eared owls hunting for breakfast.

Even with the detour I was early enough back to have breakfast with Mrs Routes.

6/6
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice Colin. Oystercatcher eh? Oysters for your tea then? :smile:

Third night out here. Sunburnt yesterday, soaked today - proper Welsh weather. Done my Welsh C2C anyroad (Liverpool Bay to Cardigan Bay that is!)

Tonight's bijou accommodation below, having to wing it a bit.

6/6, 6/12, 65/65

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Work and DIY commitments mean I've not made it off the Island for a proper trip in June :sad: Ralph was getting anxious that the end of the month was getting near and he hadn't got his BAM in, so school-night bivi it would have to be.

Picking the day when the forecast was dry we headed out after dinner.

The joys of a midweek quick overnighter, hardly any kit, especially as I'd left the tarp at home and chanced it being dry as per the forecast. By coincidence my google photos had informed me that it was exactly three years to the day since I first rode the Selma and that was also a bivi.

A handy list of destinations and distances from here, John O' Groats is tempting but I probably should have packed more food for that :smile: I headed off into the woods to a new area I'd noticed when out running. Now the vegetation has grown up I would be out of sight despite being in a strip of woods that's only 100m wide between paths. I only took my 150 quilt/neoair/borah bivi. The thermometer said a low of 11 degrees and I was warm enough. The new straps to keep the quilt on the mat seem to make the all the difference and stop the cold back/drafts that used to be an issue.

Ralph slept well, as did I, with 3:50 of deep sleep according to my watch. I could happily of slept there all today as well but had to go to work.

I thought I'd had a bright idea to pep up my porridge, chocolate chips. I'd under-estimated the temperature of porridge and over-estimated the melting temperature of choc chips so they all melted in. Still made a tasty chocolate porridge but lacked the bite I'd hoped for.

Still loving the Evernew 400FD pot (with lid off my Alpjkit pot) but the heat from the BB 22g stove is too much for the silicon on the bottom of the handles close to the windshield. The wider but shallow size makes it easier to fit in either the waste pack or frame bag and the insulated handles mean no more burnt fingers.

Only thing left to do was pack up and head to work. Once packed up I always have a double-check I've got everything, the only problem with LNT is that there's no way I'd ever find the spot again, so if left anything behind I'd never be able to work out where I was to look for it.

6/12 this year.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

RIP wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm Yep I've got 2021's sunny day in Llanberis! Absolutely knackered having biked from sea level to the very top level of Dinorwig quarry. The whole place is utterly stunning every time I see it. Made up because I finally reached Australia level... the hard way... photos another time.. a taster though:
I had a good look around the quarries on a wet day during a climbing trip ages ago. It took most of the day and involved lots of scrambling up and down inclines, peering over sheer drops and clambering up and down dilapidated and rusting ladders and cables. I shudder when I think of it these days, and the state they must be in now, the best part of 30 years later.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.