Pillow recommendation please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Pillow recommendation please

Post by ssnowman »

I’m after a new pillow.

What are you using and what are the pros and cons?
May satan walk with you
Bearlegged

Re: Pillow recommendation please

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm a side-sleeper/wriggler, and feel much better with a thicker pillow. I've tried Decathlon's £4.99 offering (ok) and the Klymit Cush (not a fan at all), but have now settled on the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium pillow, size large. Benefits are that it's thicker, and it has a fabric covering, which seems to help with comfort and warmth compared to the others I've tried. It's easy to inflate/deflate, and packs down approximately the size of an orange. Bonus bike tart points for being green.
Cons, it's a bit bigger and heavier than the others I've tried, but it's hardly a boat anchor.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Landslide wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 am I'm a side-sleeper/wriggler, and feel much better with a thicker pillow... the Klymit Cush (not a fan at all)...
Also a side sleeper and I really like my Kush folded into three with a buff round to hold it folded.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm a long time fan of the Klymit Kush too but have recently started using a Sierra Designs Dridown pillow. Bit heavier but very comfy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 amSea to Summit Aeros Premium pillow, size large.
Me too. Haven't used any other camping pillows, but this works well for me. Also a side sleeper.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Another Kush user here. I go with two folds inside a buff because I like quite a low pillow. Also about 80% inflated, don’t find it that comfortable when it’s fully inflated. I like it but it’s the only one i’ve ever used.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

It's slightly heavier and bulkier than others I have but at least I can sleep on it
I now always use my VANGO, Deep Sleep Thermo Pillow
I'ts worth carrying it for a better nights sleep as it's so comfortable with it's fleecy lining too
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We’ve a couple of Sea to Summit pillows. Two sizes so pick toget the lift you want
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have a S2S Aeros, Its fairly comfy, and fairly thick. If you can get it to stay in one place...
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

The only one I've tried is the alpkit drift and I'm happy with it.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

S2S aeros ultralight ( the turquoise one) . Light, very compact paked size, moderate comfort, doesn't like staying in place, not washable ( use a buff as a pillow case). Failed on a seam after approx 150 nights use.

Exped REM. Heavier, bulky packed size, supreme comfort, washable outer. Still going strong after approx 300 nights
Boab

Post by Boab »

I asked a similar question a while back, and ended up going with the Exped pump pillow. Mainly as it meant I didn't have to carry a separate pump. So far it's been OK. You do need to fiddle to find the correct inflation though, as to much is horrible and too little leaves you with a cricked neck.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:58 am I'm a long time fan of the Klymit Kush too but have recently started using a Sierra Designs Dridown pillow. Bit heavier but very comfy.
That might be what I need for my next upgrade. I can't deal with pure inflatable pillows as I don't feel like I can squish myself into them (they just get firmer then wobble about).

There was another with a inflatable core and a down outer, but it was crazy money.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I got a Kush after Stu recommended them a while ago and have been using it folded in three with a buff round it until recently then I stumbled on the idea of putting it inside a stuff sack with my lightweight down jacket on top (also in the stuff sack) and for me it's the best solution yet. Enough volume and the jacket adds the compliance that you need in a decent pillow and it's all stuff I have with me anyway. Potential downside would be if I wanted to wear my down jacket in bed to boost my sleeping bag of course so maybe not a cold weather option.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm a two wheeled tramp - though I thought we were all supposed to be... I'm obviously on the wrong forum - so I used whatever is at hand. Sometimes my arm but that can get slightly uncomfy.

Last BAM I popped the shoes underneath the mat to raise it a little. Then I folded/squished something down (I think) and went to slèep. So tehcnically my pillow (in the absence of whatever the top covering was) is my shoes :o
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Thanks for all the replies. Leaning towards the kush at the moment. I like the versatility.
May satan walk with you
Verena

Post by Verena »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:18 pm I'm a two wheeled tramp - though I thought we were all supposed to be... I'm obviously on the wrong forum - so I used whatever is at hand. Sometimes my arm but that can get slightly uncomfy.

Last BAM I popped the shoes underneath the mat to raise it a little. Then I folded/squished something down (I think) and went to slèep. So tehcnically my pillow (in the absence of whatever the top covering was) is my shoes :o
I'm with you on this one. Last night I used my bum bag stuffed with my phone and puncture repair kit and a box of mints. :lol: . Not very successfully I might add. So mostly just the ground.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:18 pm I'm a two wheeled tramp - though I thought we were all supposed to be... I'm obviously on the wrong forum - so I used whatever is at hand. Sometimes my arm but that can get slightly uncomfy.
Sure, but some of us have massive problems sleeping, so need additional assistance.

Others are just soft, of course. :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

ssnowman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:22 pm Thanks for all the replies. Leaning towards the kush at the moment. I like the versatility.
I've got one for sale!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 pm I'm with you on this one. Last night I used my bum bag stuffed with my phone and puncture repair kit and a box of mints. :lol: .
Impressively hardcore :-bd . What happens when you get a mint craving at midnight? Come to that it must be quite disconcerting when your phone goes off that close to your lug 'ole!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:27 pm
Verena wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 pm I'm with you on this one. Last night I used my bum bag stuffed with my phone and puncture repair kit and a box of mints. :lol: .
Impressively hardcore :-bd . What happens when you get a mint craving at midnight? Come to that it must be quite disconcerting when your phone goes off that close to your lug 'ole!
No, not hardcore, have been feeling happy but generally wiped out all day, lack of sleep plus some of the worst hay fever I've ever had...my face and eyes have been so sore and scratchy.... luckily there was a spontaneous river swim gathering, so it was bliss to keep my face under water for about an hour....

Mint cravings at midnight, yep did that, had about three times the maximum recommend number of daily mints, no I'll effect.

My phone never rings luckily....but I briefly worried about the radiation.... But then I did spend half the night sliding down the hill didn't I, far away from bag and phone...

O by the way, do any of you not bother with a mat in the warmer weather and when you know it'll be soft ground like grass or sand?

I've done that twice now and also found it fine, not cold and a lot less faff.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I always thought this. Then I bought pillow. Now I don't have to worry about whether I'm "hardcore" or not because I'm too busy sleeping rather than trying to arrange and keep a random selection of un-pillow-like objects under my head :wink:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I’ve got an Exped pillow, the large version and have had no issues with it
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

i introduced a friend to bikepacking
on our first trip together i'm getting ready for bed in the tent and get out the pillow to inflate
she gives me a confused look, and asks "a pillow? why not just use spare clothes in a dry bag?"
she shortly thereafter added, "ah, you don't carry any spare clothes"
a pillow and a pair of footless tights are my two little luxuries for sleeping.