Whats the pick of the 29er rims at the moment?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Re: Whats the pick of the 29er rims at the moment?

Post by robbie »

ChrisS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:29 pm Stans Arch Mk3 suffer from cracking at the spoke holes. I've had one changed under warranty.

I'm not tough on my wheels and they were built to exacting standards (by me :wink: ) so I'd say it's an issue with the rim rather than wheel build/usage.

If I didn't have them on 2 bikes with interchangeable front wheels (dyno swapped over as required) then I'd not have replaced it like-for-like but didn't also want to have to replace the other 3 rims to match.
This is exactly the issue I've discovered after a post-Highland Trail inspection. Two separate cracks at different spoke holes on the rear wheel. I bought the wheelset second hand so don't think it'll be covered by warranty.
Chris are they the mk3 rims?
I've cracked crest mk2 and mk3 ones.
Had a pair of mk3 built for my gravel bike and didn't use them in anger. Noticed both front and rear had cracks so wasn't happy so sent them an email explaining and with pictures.
They were really good and sent me 2 new rims. 2 bottles of sealant and 2 rolls of rim tape from USA. They never asked for reciets only a picture of each serial no. They even changed them from 650 and sent me 29er ones as I was putting them on the mtb. I know they will crack again as seems to be an on going issue and the flows are the same. So worth dropping them an email and see how you get on. Just word it nicely but mention how disappointed you are etc etc. Worth trying.
I'm never going to buy their rims again as the carbon ones from light bicycle are much better. I have 2 pairs and no complaints.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

robbie wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 pm
ChrisS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:29 pm Stans Arch Mk3 suffer from cracking at the spoke holes. I've had one changed under warranty.

I'm not tough on my wheels and they were built to exacting standards (by me :wink: ) so I'd say it's an issue with the rim rather than wheel build/usage.

If I didn't have them on 2 bikes with interchangeable front wheels (dyno swapped over as required) then I'd not have replaced it like-for-like but didn't also want to have to replace the other 3 rims to match.
This is exactly the issue I've discovered after a post-Highland Trail inspection. Two separate cracks at different spoke holes on the rear wheel. I bought the wheelset second hand so don't think it'll be covered by warranty.
Chris are they the mk3 rims?
I've cracked crest mk2 and mk3 ones.
Had a pair of mk3 built for my gravel bike and didn't use them in anger. Noticed both front and rear had cracks so wasn't happy so sent them an email explaining and with pictures.
They were really good and sent me 2 new rims. 2 bottles of sealant and 2 rolls of rim tape from USA. They never asked for reciets only a picture of each serial no. They even changed them from 650 and sent me 29er ones as I was putting them on the mtb. I know they will crack again as seems to be an on going issue and the flows are the same. So worth dropping them an email and see how you get on. Just word it nicely but mention how disappointed you are etc etc. Worth trying.
I'm never going to buy their rims again as the carbon ones from light bicycle are much better. I have 2 pairs and no complaints.
I have Mk3s. Thanks for the tip, I’ll drop them a line and see what they say.

Funnily enough I was looking at the Light Bicycle rims as another option and just getting both wheels rebuilt with those. Wasn’t planning to do it this year, but might as well now I’ve got to replace a rim anyhow. Which ones do you have? And how’s the delivery/import process?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I'm still wavering about going Light Bicycle. The older style rims seem to be about $170ish and the newer ones $$270ish. Then there's $75 delivery and the inevitable UK charges...still in the balance for me.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I Cant remember the exact models without checking back but one pair was a gravel pair 38mm I think. and then I got a a deeper road pair think they were 45mm. The import was simple and just paid the duty. After my local wheel builder built mine he started recommending them to people who wanted carbon rims as he thought they were great.
He always slated the stans rims so seems to know what's decent. Ive never needed my carbon rims trued! But did with aluminium on a fair few occasions.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Dyffers wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:21 am
Seriously tempted by FLV's Fun Works 28mm rims, but really like to build DT rims and have never had a failure...
I bought custom wheels from them last time. I usually prefer to build my own but the wheels were cheaper than the sum of the parts.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Dyffers wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:44 pm I'm still wavering about going Light Bicycle. The older style rims seem to be about $170ish and the newer ones $$270ish. Then there's $75 delivery and the inevitable UK charges...still in the balance for me.
I've got some light bicycle rims too... 30mm internal ones from back when they were 99usd a rim... Years ago, many bikes and a rebuild onto boost hubs later, still going strong. :-bd
BenS

Post by BenS »

For Light Bicycle ask them to quote TPD, much cheaper than paying for postage and then import duties even if I’m not sure quite how it’s cheaper
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

FLV wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 pm
Dyffers wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:44 pm I'm still wavering about going Light Bicycle. The older style rims seem to be about $170ish and the newer ones $$270ish. Then there's $75 delivery and the inevitable UK charges...still in the balance for me.
I've got some light bicycle rims too... 30mm internal ones from back when they were 99usd a rim... Years ago, many bikes and a rebuild onto boost hubs later, still going strong. :-bd
Those Fun Works rims are looking way better bang for buck than light bicycle ones; 28mm internal alloy Vs 30mm internal carbon, similar weight, carbon nearly double the price. :roll:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I would have been sceptical but I bought a funnworks xl25 in hurry to replace a cracked Arch back in 2019 spring. That 25 did about 4000km without issue. So i thought them worth a go, and so far so good :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've been using spank industries oOoozy trail 29. I had no problems. built up easily.495 fair weight at 24.5 inner width suit 1.7" to2. 5c ture

https://spank-ind.com/pages/buyers-guide-rims

they are available from distributor 'hot lines' then crc /wiggle/ crankset etc
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Went with DT Swiss XR 391s in the end. Couldn't bring myself to buy carbon rims at the same width and weight but three times the price.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Currently running Hunt 29 Wide on the rigid can't fault them tbh and good value for money too :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Leerowe76 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:37 am Currently running Hunt 29 Wide on the rigid can't fault them tbh and good value for money too :-bd
Would you hapoen to know the internal width of these pls Leerowe
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:06 pm
Leerowe76 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:37 am Currently running Hunt 29 Wide on the rigid can't fault them tbh and good value for money too :-bd
If they are the XC Wide wheels they are 25mm internal, the same as the XR 391s.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Dyffers wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:06 pm
If they are the XC Wide wheels they are 25mm internal, the same as the XR 391s.
Yep thats them, sorry not been on for a few days
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams