Rigs (NOT bikes) of the tour divide

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Rigs (NOT bikes) of the tour divide

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve always admired the open door inclusivity of the TD as opposed to the HT550. The fact that all are welcome at the GD is great.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’ve always admired the open door inclusivity of the TD as opposed to the HT550.
Dunno, I always admired Alan's stance to make sure that those wanting to take part weren't getting in above their heads. It's good for those riding and for the reputation of the HT and other ITT.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am I’ve always admired the open door inclusivity of the TD as opposed to the HT550. The fact that all are welcome at the GD is great.
Having ridden it I think limiting the numbers at the HT550 is also about resupply. If there were 100+ starters then riders at the back might find upon getting to the cafes and small shops that they were stripped bare and no food was available, which would be an issue as there aren't many options in some places.

It does also help to ensure people have experience. I've read enough copies of the Cordillera to know that every year there will be starters at the TD who've never been on a bikepacking trip before, don't know how to pitch their tent, navigate or will just loose most of their kit as it was loosely strapped on the seat-pack*, none of which are recommended for the northern loop.

*See also comments on the TD bikes thread.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If there were 100+ starters then riders at the back might find upon getting to the cafes and small shops that they were stripped bare and no food was available,
Err. Locals.

Limiting the start numbers on the HTT550 is a sensible move regarding its impact on the communities it passes through (and, to an extent, the land it passes over).
jameso

Post by jameso »

I’ve always admired the open door inclusivity of the TD as opposed to the HT550. The fact that all are welcome at the GD is great.
I think both policies are about risk management or liability? TD is unregulated and no-one really organises it or could be held responsible so it's left open. I thought HT550 has a vetting process partly for similar end reasons.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 am
I’ve always admired the open door inclusivity of the TD as opposed to the HT550.
Dunno, I always admired Alan's stance to make sure that those wanting to take part weren't getting in above their heads. It's good for those riding and for the reputation of the HT and other ITT.
I’m sure there are lots of good reasons to limit the numbers on the HT. limiting impact on a fragile environment being top.
I guess I was being purposely provocative with my comment.
Alan’s choice doesn’t however guarantee competitors make good choices though does it. Plenty of folk heading out in course without enough equipment year on year as far as I can see. Plenty of people dropping out hypothermic because of it. That a higher profile accident hasn’t happened is arguably luck rather than judgement.
But back to the TD… good or bad I bet the open door policy makes for a great atmosphere at the start and I’m sure that’s why a lot of tourists enter on the GD day.

How is there no organiser of TD? Don’t you write a ‘letter of intent’, doesn’t someone publish those and a start time/date and list finishers?
I can’t see a good enough lawyer not being able to find the person to be held liable in a law suit if it ever came to that. It is America after all.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I think the lawyers would be knocking on Matt Lee’s door 😀
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Matt takes such a soft hand to the race these days he'd be hard pushed to be seen as organiser any more.

Anyway, Crazy Larry is in charge!

*shudder*
trob6

Post by trob6 »

faustus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 am The alloy tailfin without bag is much cheaper, and weight still OKish...

How about the bike with a full length Narwhal tusk on the front. Are they planning to joust?
I met this fella (Mike) on day 2 in 2019 and he has drank some water he hadn't filtered as he was high up and thought it would be ok and was weeing out his bum all day, he had to scratch.
The GD was a fantastic experience and one I would love to do again, there was no them and us everyone was equal so I for one admire everyone that turns up to give it a bash regardless of the state of some of those overloaded bikes but there is a lot of fear to pack on a ride like that!
I took a gas stove and coffee, didn't use it every day but when I was cold it was very good to have and would take it again.
What's the worst than can happen?