Undercarriage Multi-Day Hygiene

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Undercarriage Multi-Day Hygiene

Post by redefined_cycles »

NB. Whenever I go for a wee and have the opportunity I also wash around the groin area so as to keep the bacteria causing sweat (modifythe term as appropriate).

Only one problem I'd envisage with the water method is that I suppose it might not work aswell with long pubes. As compulsory part of what we're taught (part of Islam and what Mohammed SallallahuAlayhiWasallam taught us... maybe others think they know better what he taught us: not interested :-bd ) ia to ensure - for men and women - is to keep the pubes (under arms and down below) short (like shaved/grain of rice short).

Sorry for going proper nitty gritty but Rich started it :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Never thought this thread would lead to discussion of the shaved groin side of religion... :lol:

I've ordered some Paw Paw cream, and going to try and find a good option for witch hazel (will probably decant into a travel size bottle). Lots of options out there for travel wipes, and handy that they come with their own package so you can just fold them back up and put them in there ready for later (responsible) disposal.

I don't think a cloth would work out well for me as I never seem to have enough water on hand.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:25 am Never thought this thread would lead to discussion of the shaved groin side of religion... :lol:
There's actually a mention of it in the Royal Marsden manual of nursing (procedures). It's like a 'bees knees' book. Under the topic of Islam it mentions similar to the above and they recommend/endorse it as a generic infection prevention protocol (water and I think shaving :lol: ... but will try and find the ref again)...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Where else would you find a discussion of this nature butt on Bearbones? :lol:
Not sure about shaving/pruning round my bits, couldn't that lead to ingrowing hairs (and the problems that would inevitably entail)? I notice Boots do biodegradable witch hazel and teatree wipes, I might get a packet of those to try. I tend to carry a small pot of Sudocrem just in case and while I do wear padded shorts, I reserve my most minimal (ancient cheapo Decathlon) ones for multiday rides. I've tried using the Endura clickfasts but the thicker, contoured pad in those caused me all sorts of problems (although they seem fine for day rides). I may have to try the "commando" option one of these days but it goes against all my instincts! :???:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If you have a problem e.g. soreness etc then I'd favour Metanium (though specifically the "Yellow One" which is both barrier (IIRC) and treatment). Always thought Sudocreme (and Metanium's "Purple One") are more day to day barriers i.e. prevention rather than treatment of symptoms / impacts / aggravation.

https://www.metanium.co.uk/our-products/the-yellow-one/

Ah, that greasy yellow smear!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wasn't there something a few years ago about shaving ... I recall that British Cycling advised their female squad not to tidy their gardens too much as they believed it was leading to sores, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:54 pm Wasn't there something a few years ago about shaving ... I recall that British Cycling advised their female squad not to tidy their gardens too much as they believed it was leading to sores, etc.
Yes. It was part of a study into saddle sores and contact points. It resulted in BC submitting requests to the UCI update the regulations on things like the saddle angle - previously they mandated that the saddle must be level, now it's allowed to be nose down by up to 9deg.

Someone mentioned the Endura click liners - I found these to make things worse as the whole thing is made of quite heavy material and is very uncomfortable after a while.

DHB do several thicknesses of pad, I've the thinnest and it's considerably better than standard thickness chamois.

I watched a GCN+ video on endurance riding and Lael Wilcox noted that she cut the pads out of all her cycling shorts to help avoid problems caused by moisture build up in the chamois.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Chunky pads are the devil, but then the good thin pads are generally pretty expensive.

I have an additional problem, in that I have no arse to speak of, so I have to get ones that are neither thick, or wide.
Last edited by Richard G on Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:04 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:54 pm
now it's allowed to be nose down by up to 9deg.
I saw something similar from one of Mike Halls vids years ago and started tilting the saddle which significantly helped
DHB do several thicknesses of pad, I've the thinnest
I found similar Bob. I have thre thicknesses of the Lusso chamoise undershorts. The thickest is the winter version but due to the moisture buildup - it's a very thick pad - things can get uncomfy. I've found the middle version to be best all year round. But since that commando discussion on here I've been working on just using boxer shorts which is nice for all sorts of reasons. Not sure I'd try it on a 200 miler but 100 milers have been fine. Road obviously...
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:55 pm Chunky pads are the devil, but then the good thin pads are generally pretty expensive.
Lusso. I think made in manchester and they can even cut the chamoise down for you I believe. I have a discount code from one of the brand ambassadors strava profiles. Very good gear it is IMO/IME
substandard

Post by substandard »

I survived gbduro (10days) in a single pair of bibs (that’s got a rinse at each checkpoint) using liberal amounts of bum butter

It’s had antiseptic properties too and just seems to do the trick for me
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sadly I'm unable to use that stuff. It makes me sweaty, which then gives me swamp crotch which I find makes the discomfort from the undercarriage I had last weekend pale into nothing by comparison.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Don't use silicone/builder's wipes. Oh my God the pain, I had nothing else in the van after a very hot few days in the Lakes and can still feel the stinging now.
However, I find that urine seems to be a real irritant so I ensure the onions are fully drained before everything is put away to prevent leaking, and then preventing the subsequent issues surrounding this.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:09 pm Sadly I'm unable to use that stuff. It makes me sweaty, which then gives me swamp crotch which I find makes the discomfort from the undercarriage I had last weekend pale into nothing by comparison.
Rich... maybe you should call it Swamp Crotch Syndrome... then patent it
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Shorts off at night and talcum powder liberally applied, after whatever cleaning can be done. It's the constant humidity/dampness that's not good - a bit like a baby's mucky ar5e.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 pm Rich... maybe you should call it Swamp Crotch Syndrome... then patent it
My mark on history. :lol:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Cream up for the ride, use baby wipes or something similar for cleaning off a night, a little Sudacrem for over night repairs and cream up again for the mornings riding. Seems to work okay, again I think it depends on how far your riding also like was mentioned above maybe use toilets on route for a clean up and re lubing of the gooch maybe worth it :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Baby wipes, then talc, then put on clean merino long johns. Also a bit of Sudocrem before going to sleep helps if you're a bit sore.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Caveating that my trips are short, generally 2 nights and c.100 miles max, I don't do anything

No cream, no special cleaning, no bib tights, no chamois

I wear my normal boxer shorts (UA boxerjocks) from start to finish. Same pair at night and during the day. I change into night time base layer top and leggings (over the top) but I don't do any special hygiene routine

I would probably have to for longer trips, but at that length of time I don't really need to do anything

e.g on the WRT last weekend I didn't do anything different to a local overnight bivy