Seat Packs - What's Everyone Using These Days?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slugwash

Seat Packs - What's Everyone Using These Days?

Post by slugwash »

Hi,

I'm thinking that maybe it's time for a new seat pack. I had the Alpkit Koala before but sold it as I found it a bit of a pain to set up and move between bikes as well as accessing the contents mid ride, so I'm discounting that option.

I've got a fair bit of Lomo gear that I use for kayaking and sailing which I'm impressed with, so am considering one of their seat packs. Any feedback on how that compares to the Koala?

Also, the Wildcat harness system looks like a possibility (maybe other brands of harness are available?. Any feedback on that from the Boners?

Any other options worth considering? There seems to be a lot on the market these days.

Cheers,

Richard.
whitestone

Re: Seat Packs - What's Everyone Using These Days?

Post by whitestone »

I use the Wildcat Tiger harness. I actually don't use anything else. Very stable and can take dry bags from 5-10 litres.

I like the separate harness and bag: you can fill/empty the bag in your tent out of the weather before mounting it; you can fit different sized bags (within the bounds of the strap lengths) to match your load; if the bag is damaged, you just replace that not the bag and harness.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just get the Revelate that comes with the bracket (is it terrapin... edit, it's the Spinelock and it's very very stable). Last seatpack I'll probably ever buy and will probs get the smaller version when they make a dropper friendly one...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Wildcat, still. Have used a lot of different bar bag combos and a few frame bags but haven't looked for anything else for a saddle pack since getting the Wildcat harness about 8 years ago. The way it secures to the saddle rails is miles ahead of the rest, so secure. Used it enough to wear through a strap, they fixed it, no problems.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Revelate Terrapin 14l for big loads, pika for small ones. The terrapin is good as the new one compresses right down and is super stable. Can also carry my winter bag, mat and spare clothes. Also uses a separate drybag so handy for stowing dry kit and bunging in the tent / bivvy as per Bobs comment. Spendy but they do seem to last well. The pika is a bit old tech and more wobbly as it doesn't have the doubled back straps plus needs a dry bag. Might get a wildcat too for small loads.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Yep, Wildcat :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've got a Restrap bag and harness. Not the lightest, but is pretty rock solid once attached.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I had the same issue with the Alpkit one - found it a pain to set up/tighten and no bungees on top for a jacket or whatever.

Got the Podsacs one - it's good. Easier to use, waterproof and with a bungee. About £30
chris n

Post by chris n »

Wildcat for me too. Very happy with it.

I do have a small Porcelain Rocket that I use on the road, but the Wildcat is more stable and easier to pack.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

slugwash wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:47 pm as well as accessing the contents mid ride
I tend to use seat pack and handlebar bag for stuff that I'm not going to use mid-ride, i.e. bivy kit and spare clothes. Appreciate that it may not be an option for you depending on what you take but consider shuffling stuff around your various bags to achieve that.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A previous generation 14L Revelate Terrapin harness/bag. Works well for me. Very stable with no wagging.

I'm very interested in the Revelate Spinelock Q/R bag but I use my Terrapin on 3 bikes and don't fancy the hassle of swapping the seat mount over.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have a variety but almost always end up using the Wildcat with an Alpkit tapered dry bag.

I did buy a Podsacs one recently for trips where I want to take a bigger load. My brother used one on our recent KAW trip and I was impressed how stable it was. Not super light but seems OK quality and was only £25. Not used it yet.

I’ve also just ordered a Rockgeist Gondola dropper-friendly bag but it’s not arrived yet, so no idea if that’s any good.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Yet another vote for Wildcat, think mine is 8 or 9 years old :-bd
jobro

Post by jobro »

I use the (Crikey, how much) harness rear pack. Heavy, but very secure. By the way, who made their bags?
Clearly I'm not allowed to use the R word.
RIP

Post by RIP »

If, like me, you think it's a bit much having a seatpack that almost weighs more than its contents, then go with Wildcat. The newer LS21 version is a shade over 200g, a third of the weight of some of its competitors. It also has the other advantages mentioned above. Of course lightness and quality comes with a certain price tag.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Home made harness and 10mm od. Ally tube frame used with an Alpkit tapered stuff sack
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Been using Revelate for years now

Was the Viscacha, moved to the Terrapin a while back

Revelate is the only proper bikepacking stuff I have, apart from a wildcat tomcat pouch for jones loops
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice that ^, Mr 'Smith :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Thanks for the replies. It looks to me like a harness system is the way to go.

@woodsmith That's a nice bit of engineering. I wish I had the skills and determination to see through a project like that. :-)
I tend to use seat pack and handlebar bag for stuff that I'm not going to use mid-ride, i.e. bivy kit and spare clothes. Appreciate that it may not be an option for you depending on what you take but consider shuffling stuff around your various bags to achieve that.
I'm trying to get the pack off my back where possible and just have a bum bag. I'm always up for a mid ride brew/cook up and a costume change if the weather worsens! However, the faff of having to repack, re-attach and re-tension a conventional seat pack severely rubs me up the wrong way!
chris n

Post by chris n »

jobro wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 am I use the (Crikey, how much) harness rear pack. Heavy, but very secure. By the way, who made their bags?
Wot, Rapha?
jameso

Post by jameso »

jobro wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 am I use the (Crikey, how much) harness rear pack. Heavy, but very secure. By the way, who made their bags?
Famous pink stripe brand kit was made for them by Apidura / Apidura's supplier.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

For lighter/smaller loads it's Wildcat
For heavier/larger loads it's the Acepac from Stuart here at Bear Bones with the 2 dry different sized dry bags to chose from.

Both don't sway when fitted correctly
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

For lighter/smaller loads it's Wildcat
For heavier/larger loads it's the Acepac from Stuart here at Bear Bones

Oh, I didn't know Stu was knocking out seat packs, and I now see that there's also a new website!

I think I'm now interested in the harness system but may get the Acepac if I ever need to shoe-horn a pack raft into my luggage. :lol:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Currently using the Alpkit Koala 13lt and was with the Exo Rail fitted but that snapped on one side on the Welsh Ride Thing last weekend which I didnt expect having only used maybe 10 times and its hardly been overloaded but hey nevermind I may get it repaired or may not, looks like some good ideas on this thread for alternative seat packs and more so waterproof ones too :-bd I'll keep an eye to this thread now
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

I'm trying to get the pack off my back where possible and just have a bum bag. I'm always up for a mid ride brew/cook up and a costume change if the weather worsens! However, the faff of having to repack, re-attach and re-tension a conventional seat pack severely rubs me up the wrong way!
I looked at doing the same and took the plunge on a Tailfin S3 rack, I just strap a drybag to it easy on and off and really solid