Hurray for fatties!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Hurray for fatties!

Post by gairym »

No, not a thread predicting the second coming of the humble fatbike - sorry!

Less predictably I'm here to explain why we, the 'folk of big bones' and/or the 'fitness impaired', are the true heroes of the sporting world.

Why? Here's why.....

I started this years Tuscany Trail with my buddy from back in Chamonix.

I'm overweight and under-trained, he is not.

He finished yesterday after a stunning ride in a time of 3.5 days. I'll finish tomorrow after 5.5 days.

In the 3.5 days of riding he burned 8656 kcals and I burned 12076 kcals.

He was constantly within his comfort zone, set off later, finished earlier and recovered faster.

I was absolutely foooooked, needed to start early and finish late and each morning i felt like I'd been run over when I woke up.

He had less time between water stops and food supply points and spent a lot less time in the baking sun.

And at the end of those 3.5 days he'd finished and i still had +150km to go.

He was celebrated, saluted, congratulated and complimented by the same people and in the same breath as people laughed that I was so far behind, couldn't keep up and clearly wasn't trying.

Ignoring for a minute the fact that I get an extra 2 days of 'holiday' out of my trip than him, I do think that there's something a bit off about the way in which we decide what is worth being impressed by and what isn't.

I'm not, for a single second, trying to take anything away from folk who eat right, train right, plan things, put the hours into getting ready for an event etc... BUT.....when it comes to looking solely at the effort put into an event I think there's an argument to be made that the fat lad/ladette at the back doesn't get enough (any?) credit from the public at large for their efforts.

This fits is nicely with what ScotRoutes said in the HT550 thread:
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:07 am I'm a bit disappointed that the dotwatcher site already has a post-race wrap up. Seems a bit disrespectful to those still taking part, who deserve our admiration just as much (if not more) as those only spending 3 days on the course.
Right, enough waffling, I've got a great big bloody hill to get up and over and I've rested/procrasted enough.....

Laters, Gairy.
BigdummySteve

Re: Hurray for fatties!

Post by BigdummySteve »

Your not wrong, after finishing the Spanish C2C
Craig worked out that I needed 40% more power to climb at the same speed as him, so there’s that as well. Also don’t forget descending, that extra mass has a lot of stored energy so you go faster :-bd

https://open.spotify.com/track/4eovTz3F ... vXyxGCNMHQ
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Scud

Post by Scud »

I can get behind this.... after 18 years as a rugby prop forward including professionally, i am still a very square shape, what bugs me is that i have to train really quite hard to be decidedly average. I ride 20 hours a week and friends 4-5, just so i have the base fitness to keep up with them.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

:-bd
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
ton

Post by ton »

I'm not, for a single second, trying to take anything away from folk who eat right, train right, plan things, put the hours into getting ready for an event etc... BUT.....when it comes to looking solely at the effort put into an event I think there's an argument to be made that the fat lad/ladette at the back doesn't get enough (any?) credit from the public at large for their efforts.
100% with you mate.
as most know, i am probably the biggest cyclist most people will ever meet. and being so i have never ever let it hold me back in trying stuff that maybe i shouldnt. but i like the challenge. infact i love the challenge. i love to see peoples faces on the starting line of rides when they see a fat big bloke at the side of em. i dont give a monkeys if they laugh.
most people dont know the sheer effort of taking a big ride or event on when you a big and heavy. also they have know idea of the bravery and courage it takes to attempt something so challenging.

some people are just big. born big, big as a kid, big now. but sometimes it aint through greed and laziness. i ride more than anyone i know. 100 miles every week, year in year out. i played pro rugby in my teens and 20's. i did triathlon in my 20's and 30's. i have ridden mtb's since their arrival in the uk. i cycle for holiday, for commutes, for fun with the family. it is what makes me who i am.

so to all the fat/big/heavy riders on here and everywhere. keep on keeping on. :-bd

and hats off the you Gairy for taking on this challenge and every one you take on. well done pal.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

What about us skinny folk (10 stone and a bit) that finish last?! :lol: Finished at the back plenty of times, for me it’s definitely using the event as a challenge of completion rather than how fast I can do it

Take the Rovaniemi races for example, did the 150 on the bike with an 8 month old at home (training!! What training), then went into a DNF in the 300 (worked 5 days a week and volunteered on my day off at a school to get onto teacher training :oops: ) and then did the 66KM on foot as a non runner, so had a year from doing zero running to finishing an ultra.

- - -

The dot watcher stopping, was that the fact dot watcher pulled the plug early or was it the riders had X amount of days to finish and those outside the time, dot watcher stopped tracking? Either way, it’s a shame of the riders

(Hopefully the above doesn’t sound mean as anyone who sets off on a challenge, whether they complete it or not gets my admiration)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The dot watcher stopping, was that the fact dot watcher pulled the plug early or was it the riders had X amount of days to finish and those outside the time, dot watcher stopped tracking?
IIRC there is no cut-off time for the group start.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm
The dot watcher stopping, was that the fact dot watcher pulled the plug early or was it the riders had X amount of days to finish and those outside the time, dot watcher stopped tracking?
Alan G originally said 8 days.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I Gairy makes some very interesting and valid points up there ^ but Simon also ... people can be slow(er) than others but it doesn't always follow that those people are bigger, heavier, whatever.

I also believe that what Paul says about not attending events or joining group rides is way more common than many people might imagine. No one likes to feel that they're holding a group back or that they'll have to flog themselves to near death while everyone else seemingly breezes up every hill while laughing loudly, smoking a pipe and guzzling down a bottle of wine. It's a shame because in my experience, any or at least most fears are unfounded and no matter how fast or fit, there'll always be someone faster or fitter sooner or later. I have to say, I'm not really sure what the answer to this one is but I'd like to find one if anybody has any suggestions.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlasdairMc wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:21 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm
Alan G originally said 8 days.
I thought it was 8 days for an ITT but no cut-off for the group start. I could well be wrong.

Edit. The Highland Trail website finishers list includes Ionas 9 day trip.
Scud

Post by Scud »

One thing that was said to me years ago that stayed with me though, i used to ride with a large MTB club, and when i started out was nearly always at the back, and they'd have to wait for me at the top of the climbs etc, but i was always there and gradually got so i could be mid-pack, but after another time apologising for being slow up a climb, a friend turned to me and said "stop apologising all the time, have you ever thought maybe we like your company?".