Internal hub set up

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sqibjib

Internal hub set up

Post by sqibjib »

Hi All

I am thinking of setting up my 29+ bike with an alfine 11 speed up. Has any one done this and know what are the best ratio's front ring size and rear cog size. Looking for the best trade of for climbing and flat riding.

Cheers
Stuart
Life is better on a bike
After work bivi film https://youtu.be/N-xxarJkrpE
HUX

Re: Internal hub set up

Post by HUX »

I've setup a Swift with an alfine 11. 32T on the front and a 20 or a 21t on the back. I'd go 21T for 29+ for that low spinny gear. Theres quite a jump between 1st and 2nd gear
sqibjib

Post by sqibjib »

Cheers hux

I am setting up a singular rooster.

Does that work out like a 32t x 50t on the rear or more like a 42t cassette.

Let me know how you get on as the bike will be fully packed up and heavy.

Cheers
Stuart
Life is better on a bike
After work bivi film https://youtu.be/N-xxarJkrpE
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

No direct experience of Alfine but I do run a Rohloff on a 29+ bike. For loaded riding in steep hill country my advice would be to fit just about the lowest gear you can - whatever that is with Alfine.
I know with a Rohloff there is little difference in lowest gear you can produce with the different permissible ring/sprocket combinations.
Eg 26 ring /14 sprocket = 1.2m progression vs 40 ring /21 sprocket = 1.23m progression (for 2.32m tyre circumference)
What you do get is better ring/sprocket/chain wear characteristics with the larger sizes. Therefore I opt to run a bigger ring/sprocket for that reason.
Currently I’m running 34/18 on 29+ and 36/19 on 29er.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ton

Post by ton »

my fargo is rohloffed. it is on the lowest possible combo for a rohloff hub. i wouldnt want any higher gearing.
HUX

Post by HUX »

No idea what the gearing equates to in cassette size. I've had the hub since they were 1st introduced and it's been on a couple of bikes and apart from leaking abit has been trouble free. I seem to remember the advice was dont go any bigger than a 20T with a 32T front. 21T has been fine.