HT550 2021

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

elliptic

Re: HT550 2021

Post by elliptic »

Yep favourites start at the back! There'll be a lot of reshuffling in the first few hours.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I thought Alan's Instagram post said the fast group was going first.

Over a year ago I told Dotwatcher that my 2018 ride was singlespeed, they were going to update the results they have... still waiting :roll:

They appear to be as good at details as our local paper, half of each weeks issue is corrections from the week before :lol:

Edit, I stand corrected, 8 favourites start at 8:55.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There is a nice steady climb up the Auch Glen which will spread everyone out.
Rental tracker arrived today and after a bit of faffing I got it to speak to Trackleaders so nay excuses now. Hoping to get a good placing in the over 50's singlespeed class :grin:
robbie

Post by robbie »

Well I'm starting anyway and will just take it as it comes.
After two visits to the osteopath I can bend a bit better I've got inflammation between a few lower vertebrae on rh side. Still in a bit of pain but is improving daily. Repacked the bike as not sure about taking a back pack now. Will make that choice on Friday which gives me 3 days more recovery :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Pack plenty of paracetemol Robbie.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

htrider wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:50 pm
Chicken Legs wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:48 pm
Borderer wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm
woodsmith wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:47 pm OBH wasn't open to non residents last year. Can't see any change to that on their website.
No, they wouldn't serve us, even outside last year, but a friend has just come back from there and they said they got served outside, so it seems that is an option this year.
This is what OBH said,

Hi yes we are open I will have a small menu running for them for mostly take away foods, snacks and drinks, our bar is small so eating in is not going to be easy booking preferred.

"Them" = HT Racers
Nice one. One less dried meal to take with me then! Although serving times are limited for bar menus - up to 6.45pm??
Achness hotel not clear as there website is 'under construction'
Kinlochewe hotel looks like pre book only. Poolewe hotel not really saying whats what.
There's a TripAdvisor review for Achness hotel from May 2021, which hopefully means they're open. Positive review as well!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

ChrisS wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:43 am There's a TripAdvisor review for Achness hotel from May 2021, which hopefully means they're open. Positive review as well!
When a group of us rode the northern loop a few years ago, after the OBH, let’s just say, weren’t the most welcoming, the Achness hotel were brilliant..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike and myself ate at the Achness in 2018 on the outward leg (and were joined by Bas, Pascal* and Rich Munro) and the food was excellent. The portion size was even enough for Mike :grin:

Stopped at the OBH on the return leg the next day. If was late(ish) but it didn't seem very welcoming.

*Pascal was looking at the menu and as the landlady approached he said (in the little English he did speak to warn her of the language difficulty) 'I am French' to which she replied, 'Don't worry love, it's not your fault' :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Anyone else looked at the weather forecast... :roll:
robbie

Post by robbie »

Karl wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:49 am Anyone else looked at the weather forecast... :roll:

:lol: It's been like that up here for the past couple of weeks. At least its warmed up a bit as was very cold for time of year.
It looks like there will be some heavy showers but some bright spells. :-bd
robbie

Post by robbie »

htrider wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 pm :-bd
Pack plenty of paracetemol Robbie.
Was thinking about packing the hip flask :lol:
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Hi everyone. Having a faff break. Just thought I'd share experience of late September "in between lockdowns" trip to the Northern Loop.

I didn't bother with OBH as I wasn't in the mood for a short shrift. Timed Invercassley for a late lunch instead.

Kylesku was serving but PACKED. Lads in front of me got the last table then they were turning folk away.

Drumbeg Stores was closed early (though they're back this year) and the hotel was only serving residents so I ate dehydrated dinner and breakfasted at Clachtol beachut which was mint!

Lochinver Cafe was requiring people to book on line and the motorbikers were offered a slot in 1 hours time for a brew! So we all decamped to the tea shop down the road instead.

Anltnachealagh Hotel was residents only but they waved as I rode past.

See y'all there, we'll miss you Sean. Happy Birthday to Mrs, I'm amazed she's put up with you for another 12 months, Ralph must be winning her over.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:59 pm See y'all there, we'll miss you Sean. Happy Birthday to Mrs, I'm amazed she's put up with you for another 12 months, Ralph must be winning her over.
I'd maybe have entered for this year but as they are last year's carried forward then Jane's 50th has got in the way of 2 years worth.

Mind you, as I got out of my bivi bag at 6 this morning, in the rain, packed up and headed for work I did think to myself, I'll be there in half an hour, thank god I'm not in Scotland and have to ride for another 18 hours in the wet before I can get back into my still damp bag :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Trep
Looks like the burger van is back at Lochinver - 9.30 - 3pm.
The pie shop website suggests they are running a deli to 6.30pm so mebbes takeaway pies are possible :-bd
The grocer shop in the back street as you enter Lochinver from the coast path is open until 7.
touch

Post by touch »

htrider wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:11 pm The pie shop website suggests they are running a deli to 6.30pm so mebbes takeaway pies are possible :-bd
I was at the pie shop last Friday. The main building is closed and there's no inside seating but they have a trailer around the back to order from and lots of picnic benches in the garden to eat at.

The trailer is just an order point, they are still using the kitchen inside so the normal menu was available (pie, mash, gravy, peas).
mikedeber

Post by mikedeber »

When I went though Poolewe a couple of weeks ago the cafe had a sign saying they would be opening from May 1 for takeaway. I didn't catch what hours, the google says 10-3.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Is the GPS trace on Trackleaders right? At Auchindrean the trace heads towards the main road then follows the river but there doesn't seem to be any track there - http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=219500&Y=880366&A=Y&Z=115 whereas the marked track simply follows a straight line along the edge of the glen.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
touch

Post by touch »

whitestone wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pmthere doesn't seem to be any track there
Welcome to the Highland Trail :lol:

I think the trackleaders route is correct, the strava global heatmap is handy for checking where trails exist:
https://www.strava.com/heatmap#15.11/-5 ... 10/hot/all
I think it's a singletrack path close to the river, although I've never been that way before. I'm sure Alan posted some pictures on instagram before (could have been back in 2019)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I think this applies to the "track" that the HTR often takes.

If you are too young to know the quote that goes with this, or what this is, I fear for you and humanities future.

In other news, I'll be the scratch point again this year.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pm Is the GPS trace on Trackleaders right? At Auchindrean the trace heads towards the main road then follows the river but there doesn't seem to be any track there - http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=219500&Y=880366&A=Y&Z=115 whereas the marked track simply follows a straight line along the edge of the glen.
Its called the 'Auchindrean path' and is apparently a nice grassy riverside trail as far as the old bridge then a roughish quad track for a while, then a gap following some pipeline markers, then a gravel path to the road. I'd suggested to Alan he just went along the track to its end near the old bridge but he insisted on this extra wee loop. Looks like a good bivvy spot though, down by the river. A couple of locals have been up it recently so should be a considerable improvement over the coffin road.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

touch wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:16 pm
Welcome to the Highland Trail :lol:
Oh, I know the rideability or otherwise of where Alan takes you :lol:

Just seemed odd that the route left a track, went around a couple of fields to rejoin the same track maybe 400m later.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

<Greg's pic>
Ha!
postierich

Post by postierich »

That track is fine very undulating with a few tricky hike a bike up some steep bits vast improvement on the Coffin Path
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

postierich wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:29 pm That track is fine very undulating with a few tricky hike a bike up some steep bits vast improvement on the Coffin Path
:-bd
Still haven't decided if that and the trail from Loch a bhraoin will take longer or less time than the coffin road and Dundonald climb. Guess I'll find out next week....
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

According to Facebook of a rider who set off (twice) last Saturday, OBH is open for food from midday and the pie shop in Lochinver is, as already suggested, doing 'eat out'. He didn't make any comment about new route sections after Ullapool, so presume all good. Took the 'old route' via Poolewe and Tollie to restock. Now in Glen Affric. No midges.