Gloves for wet and windy weather

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisS

Gloves for wet and windy weather

Post by ChrisS »

Looking at my kit for the Highland Trail, I'm wondering if I might be a little under-gloved for cool, wet and windy days. I'm taking my usual summer gloves and will have my standby Buffalo mitts, The mitts have saved my hands on more than one occasion but aren't great for long periods of riding. I don't want to take my usual winter gloves as they're bulky, too warm and not that waterproof.

I know some folk use waterproof work gloves or similar for wet and cool conditions. Any recommendations for something that's fairly packable and readily available? :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gloves for wet and windy weather

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One word and it's pogies but if you don't want to go down that route, try Marigolds. Surprisingly hard wearing, easy to get and 100% waterproof ... they also come in a nice Hi-viz yellow :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A couple of people who's views I respect have recommended 100% Brisker (?) gloves. They seem to be lightly insulated. Both people have raved about them.

Not sure they're what you're looking for and it's all anecdotal but thought I'd mention them :cool:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I took Marigolds on the HTR and TDR, saved my hands from bitter pain more than once. Though they do act as a vapour barrier so don't expect hands to be totally dry - they will sweat badly.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What ever you choose have a back up.
I lost my new Sealskinz gloves going up the Corrieyairack Pass and that is a long descent with fingerless mitts for a SSJ like me.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:57 am One word and it's pogies but if you don't want to go down that route, try Marigolds. Surprisingly hard wearing, easy to get and 100% waterproof ... they also come in a nice Hi-viz yellow :-bd
Pogies feel like overkill for a spring ride, but Marigolds sound like they'd do the trick.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Mariner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:12 am What ever you choose have a back up.
I lost my new Sealskinz gloves going up the Corrieyairack Pass and that is a long descent with fingerless mitts for a SSJ like me.
Ouch, I think I would have dug out some spare socks to use as mitts :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This is what I'm going with
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303844649498 ... 2749.l2648
Hopefully they will go straight on over my normal riding gloves. Fed up of sealskins and dexshell gloves that seem to remain waterproof for a few rides and then leak.....
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

htrider wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:07 am This is what I'm going with
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303844649498 ... 2749.l2648
Hopefully they will go straight on over my normal riding gloves. Fed up of sealskins and dexshell gloves that seem to remain waterproof for a few rides and then leak.....
Hmm they look pretty cosy and worth a punt at that price.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've done some VERY wet rides in my 100% Briskers. Don't mind my hands being wet if they are warm. Would only work in warm to normal rain. Cold rain and it'd be a problem
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Came across these "overgloves" while I was shopping for some other gloves: https://www.biketart.com/clothing-c7/gl ... ove-p54276. Not seen anything quite like them before but have used gloves in that way before. Quite pricey and wonder if they'd done any better than the ones Phil linked (though much smaller and lighter probably). Layering seems just as sensible an approach for gloves as anything else - I'm always ending up under or over-gloved due to the wrong choice in the morning, unless I take other options (which I quite often do, can never have too many gloves really!).
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:00 am A couple of people who's views I respect have recommended 100% Brisker (?) gloves. They seem to be lightly insulated. Both people have raved about them.
I have a pair of Large 100% Brisker gloves that I have only worn once and realised they were too small. I bought and XL pair and they fit me better.

I can bring up to Tyndrum if anyone wants them ?
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

My plan was 100% Brisker gloves with Buffallo Mitts if necessary.

I tried various neoprene gloves after Nick Bubb raved about them after HT550 2019 but he is a tough yaughtsman and I didn't get on that well with them.
Boab

Post by Boab »

As a counter point, I thought 100% Brisker's were sub standard. No padding, so un-comfy on long rides; not particularly windproof; and utterly useless in the wet. YMMV, etc, etc...

Evidently, those Japanese fisherman gloves are the bomb; worth checking out if you're serious about Marigolds.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

stevewaters wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:18 am My plan was 100% Brisker gloves with Buffallo Mitts if necessary.

I tried various neoprene gloves after Nick Bubb raved about them after HT550 2019 but he is a tough yaughtsman and I didn't get on that well with them.
I've ordered a pair of the work gloves Phil has because they were a fiver and will apparently be delivered before Friday. Depending on the forecast I may take those and the mitts or go with Marigolds if I'm not sure about the work gloves. Final decision on Friday night! I think we're in the same start group Steve so I'll see you there.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

K1100T wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:41 am As a counter point, I thought 100% Brisker's were sub standard. No padding, so un-comfy on long rides; not particularly windproof; and utterly useless in the wet. YMMV, etc, etc...
Totally agree, I am very underwhelmed with the Briskers. They are ok at a very limited temperature range. Generally, I find that my hands are too hot & sweaty or too cold in them.
May satan walk with you
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've worn nitrile gloves in an emergency under other gloves. Similar principal to the Marigolds I guess, just a bit thinner / less protection. I always tend to have them onboard for working on the drivetrain.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Richard G wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:34 pm I've worn nitrile gloves in an emergency under other gloves. Similar principal to the Marigolds I guess, just a bit thinner / less protection. I always tend to have them onboard for working on the drivetrain.
Nitriles tend to rip really easily. I have used them in the past when I've been really, really weight watching (OMM and the like).
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I got myself some of these as a backup to wear over normal gloves in case of apocalyptic weather. Unfortunately I haven't needed to use them yet to comment on effectiveness!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/showa-281-te ... arge/23872
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 pm I got myself some of these as a backup to wear over normal gloves in case of apocalyptic weather. Unfortunately I haven't needed to use them yet to comment on effectiveness!

Thanks for posting this. Definitely worth a try at that price, and breathable too.
May satan walk with you
Dean

Post by Dean »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 pm I got myself some of these as a backup to wear over normal gloves in case of apocalyptic weather. Unfortunately I haven't needed to use them yet to comment on effectiveness!

These are very good quality but being made for the Japanese market the sizes are a bit small, I couldn't hold the handlebars comfortably in the XXL size (I wear a range of L/XL).
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Agree they are not as loose fitting as some. For reference, My hands are a definite large and I can fit the XL over woollen gloves or my Endura MT500s without an issue. Will depend on how chunky your fingers are really and how thick your normal gloves are?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

My ones in the link above just arrived - seem pretty good with a fleecy liner. The wrist bit isn't waterproof but given how much I'll sweat in them this won't be an issue....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

GregMay wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:16 pm Nitriles tend to rip really easily. I have used them in the past when I've been really, really weight watching (OMM and the like).
The basic ones do, it's possible to get them in different thicknesses though.
slarge

Post by slarge »

A few pairs of garage forecourt gloves can be good as overgloves for short sharp showers when it’s cold. Cheap, light, not very strong