Was it fun?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Was it fun?

Post by psling »

This made me smile :grin: :grin:

We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Was it fun?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

:lol: :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Peter :lol: . But in This Place the response you'll get will be 50% :lol: and 50% :-W .

But there's 3 :lol: already so maybe not!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

:-W only joking :lol: very true though. Mine tells me how long until full recovery, it must have a sense of humour as it always says it will be a day more than the time to my next activity :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I once cycled 100 miles with an average speed of 22mph and 5000 ft of climbs and I can assure you, it was not fun.

Love the hipster beard and top knot ... why do you have to be hairy to be cool?
I'm just going outside ...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:27 pm Love the hipster beard and top knot ... why do you have to be hairy to be cool?
Have beard, amongst other hairy places and I can assure you I’m not cool
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The other week I cycled 100 odd miles at an average speed of 11 and a bit km/h and it was a huge a mount of fun, particularly the bacon roll.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I love looking at my average speeds. Don't think I'm boasting but 5 mph the other day over 12 hours :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Brilliant, I've robbed that one :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

on the dales divide thing, the 12 hours i did were at 6.9mph. or so my phone told me so. :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

An obvious candidate for a (possibly rather large) sticker/badge....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

I never attempt to make any measurements of the 'system' that forms one of my rides. I'm in a continual superposition of bikepacking states, whereby I have no idea at all what's going on or at best am in a weird condition of fuzziness. Any measurement would instantly collapse this into a definite state, meaning I might suddenly have an exact idea of where I was or what my velocity was, and that would completely spoil the ride.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ok I will take the bait. When I used to properly race road bikes I had top fun in groups and riding solo at high average speeds. I used to train on a 50 mile hilly loop and loved the challenge of getting it done at 20mph+

But now I’m old an incapable of these sorts of things so side with the cartoon. It’s all riding bikes ffs each of us gets off in different ways, and round here we’re just a bunch of inverted snobs SMILEY FACE.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slarge

Post by slarge »

did make me smile (although I do resent the manbun man image of coolness - in (not very many) years time it will be looked back on as a poor fashion choice) :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

I think the thing that makes me chuckle isn't so much the portrayal of the two characters, the laid-back dude and the honed athlete, nor the numbers achieved but the way it suggests how the modern-day reliance on technology is dulling mental awareness of our surroundings and achievements.
[For balance, I pinched the image from an article on Mental Awareness Week, this being Mental Awareness Week this week :-bd ]
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm I never attempt to make any measurements of the 'system' that forms one of my rides. I'm in a continual superposition of bikepacking states, whereby I have no idea at all what's going on or at best am in a weird condition of fuzziness. Any measurement would instantly collapse this into a definite state, meaning I might suddenly have an exact idea of where I was or what my velocity was, and that would completely spoil the ride.
Makes perfect sense, Reg.
"Fuzzy logic" in action :geek: :d.
May you always have tail wind.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

/points at every BB200 ride I've ever done.

No.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

You don't have to be in team :lol: or team :-W
You can go for a ride without caring how fast or how far, without criticising someone for measuring either.
Similarly, you can go out to cover a set distance at a set pace, without making assumptions about other people's hairstyle choices.
And you can do both on different occasions.
Am I stating the bleeding obvious here? :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm Am I stating the bleeding obvious here? :wink:
Yep :grin: .

Anyone can do whatever they like (but with an eye on Rules #1, #37, #43b, & #107-2b) of course :smile: . This is all just good clean fun for a bored Wednesday afternoon :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed May 12, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although i stand with both feet firmly in Reg's camp, I do have a Strava account. It sits unloved in a drawer just like the Mankini you once thought was a good idea. I genuinely always feels sorry for anyone who decides to follow my account on-line - they must be 'kin bored out of their minds waiting for something to happen. Same applies to an Instagram account I lost down the back of the settee.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:52 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm Am I stating the bleeding obvious here? :wink:
Yep :grin: .

Anyone can do whatever they like (but Rule#1) of course :smile: . This is all just good clean fun for a bored Wednesday afternoon :smile: .
Of course. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't poke fun at each other, either :grin: Think the cartoon's brilliant. Interestingly I've been sent it with alternative running-related captions in the first frame - I wonder if that was the original, since he looks more like a runner. Edit: now I look more closely he's wearing a "Dumb Runner" top. Clearly a heretic so the two-wheeled tramps and KOM-hunters should unite and burn him, obviously.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:

and "Dumb Runner"? Yes I must admit I've never seen the point, when it's much more fun on a bike :wink: .