Line-Loks v Figure 9's for guylines?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Line-Loks v Figure 9's for guylines?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm just sorting out some new guylines for a tarp and was going to order up some mini line-loks but before I do I'm wondering what the advantages of using 'figure 9's' instead would be?

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... e_kit.html

All the bumph tells me that if I use figure 9's then I won't have to mess about with knots ... which would be the same if I use line-loks. At the moment the figure 9's just look a little bit more of a faff ... am I missing the point?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Re: Line-Loks v Figure 9's for guylines?

Post by Anthony »

Linelocks look a far neater IMO. Although unlikely, at least when the linelocks are in place they can't come off and get lost.

1.5mm dyneema and linelocks, simples.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Figure 9's look like they handle a greater range of cord diameters, but other than that they look over complicated for what they acheive. I'd rate the mini line lok's as the best solution for finer cord (<3mm diameter).

I can confirm mini line lok's are not entirely reliable with 1.25mm dynemma but are OK with 1.5mm.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I use fig 9's for my tarp ridge line in forested areas, very simple and effective and take only 2-3 seconds to tie around a tree/post etc.. Never had one come loose on me yet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can they be used by an idiot? The kind of idiot who'd be safer with slip on shoes thus preventing awkward knot 'moments'. ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Actually Flatfish has a very viable reason for them. I camped last night and needed to run a guy around a wire fence, the figure 9's would be a good choice if you tend to use obsticles for attaching guys to.

That said, for tarp duties I dont bother with anything, I just peg it out using a simple overhand loop.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bowlines are easier to undo after they've been tightened or subjected to a high tension
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Good point Ian, I do like a bowline especially for when only one end of the cord is available. The loops were made back when I got the tarp in April so I suspect they will be well and truely knitted now!

I keep contemplating lineloks for the tarp but it has worked fine all year without them so there really doesn't seem much point other than being slightly nicer in use.
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i use line loks. small and simple.

I tie a loop on the tarp and a loop on the end of the guy - this means i can seperate the guy if i need to go round a tree/ post.

whilst we're here does anyone know what these 'lineloks' are that MLD use? picture on page 7.

http://www.andyhowell.info/Colin-Ibbots ... review.pdf
Ian

Post by Ian »

http://eu.itwnexus.com/content/lineloc-3-ll

They're like a ladder lock but for cord rather than tape.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Learn to tie a tautline hitch at the peg end of the guy line and a bowline or figure 8 loop at the tarp end. Think of all the weight you can save. ;)