FS: Jamis Dragonslayer 27.5+ Steel Hardtail (19” Large), Custom Build, Trail / Bikepacking Bike

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

InspiredRamblings

FS: Jamis Dragonslayer 27.5+ Steel Hardtail (19” Large), Custom Build, Trail / Bikepacking Bike

Post by InspiredRamblings »

27.5+ Steel Hardtail (19” Large), Custom Build (Shimano XT/SLX, Hope, Thomson, Wolftooth, 120mm Fox Float, Handbuilt wheels with SON dynamo)

Hey all... I’ve had this bike for nearly five years, but the only stock parts are the frame and forks. In 2020 I had the frame professionally stripped back to steel, prepped and repainted by Argos Racing Cycles and then I rebuilt the bike with mostly new parts. The forks were serviced by TF Tuned in 2020, which included replacing the air can due to a scratch on the old one. The bike has hardly been used since - just for a handful of days.

Before the rebuild this bike had carried me on bikepacking trips across Greece, Baja Mexico, Armenia and various parts of the UK, but has now been rebuilt to almost new condition, and considerably better spec than its stock build. When I rebuilt it, I had intended to keep it for the next few years, but have decided to try to reduce my fleet from 3 bikes to 2 (I live on a boat and space is limited) and so am switching to a bikepacking friendly full suss that I had an opportunity for a good deal on, and a rigid 29er (yet to be purchased).

It's a difficult bike to price - worth it for someone wanting a ready-made bikepacking bicycle. I originally had it up for £1999, then reduced to £1795 (Facebook listing here). I've had a few serious enquiries but they have all needed a slightly smaller frame (Med). I'm happy to discuss sensible offers, and do want to actually sell it...!

Fits 27.5 x 3” tyres max, and is Boost spaced front and rear. Head angle is 68 deg. 3 sets of bottle mounts on the frame (two inside the triangle and one underneath) plus rear rack eyelets. The wheels were handbuilt by DCR Wheels in 2016 & 2017, using their own rear hub designed for UK conditions and a SON Dynamo front hub paired with a Sinewave Reactor USB top cap to let you charge battery packs on the move, and run a dynamo light at the same time. Always been true, never had any issues with them. The rear wheel was built after Greece and Baja so hasn't actually had all that much use.

It’s a great platform for bikepacking, whilst still being fun for every day mountain biking, and is ready to start taking someone on those adventures (when we’re allowed) with no upgrades needed. Bikepacking.com did a review of the bike in its original guise here. Jamis spec sheet of the stock bike, including geometry is attached with current photos below.

The current spec is as follows:

Frame: 4130 triple-butted steel frame. Painstakingly Invisiframed after being painted, before being ridden. There is a little dulling of the tape where a top tube bag has rubbed, and a couple of sections where the edge of the tape has lifted.

Dropouts: Sliding 12x148mm dropouts. Alloy dropout inserts replaced in 2020.

Fork: Fox 34 Float Performance FiT4 27.5+, 3 position compression & lockout, rebound adjust, air spring, 120mm travel, 110x15mm thru-Axle. Last serviced by TF Tuned in 2020, with new air can fitted, and hardly ridden since then. Handpainted with a metallic black enamel paint, new decals added, then Invisiframed. If you look closely, you can tell that it’s been handpainted, but it’s kind of cool. There are a couple of paint chips in areas not covered by the frame tape.

Bottom Bracket: Hope external (new for 2020 rebuild).

Crankset: Shimano XT cranks with Wolftooth elliptical 30T chainring (new for 2020 rebuild). Slight rubbing on protective tape.

Rear Mech: Shimano XT 11 speed (new for 2020 rebuild). Slight scrape on outside.

Shifter: Shimano XT 11 speed (new for 2020 rebuild).

Cassette: 11 speed, 11-46 Shimano XT (new for 2020 rebuild).

Brakes: Shimano SLX with 180mm rotors front and rear (brakes unused until 2020 rebuild but I think they may be the 2018 model; rotors were used before but can’t remember when they were fitted).

Front Wheel: Handbuilt by DCR Wheels in 2016 with WTB Scraper rim, 32h, i45, 27.5+ with SON 28 15x110 (Boost) dynamo hub and Sapim D-light spokes. Teravail Cumberland 2.8” tyre, set up tubeless. Some paint scrapes to rim but no dings. Rear tyre showing wear on central tread.

Rear Wheel: Handbuilt by DCR Wheels in 2017 with WTB Scraper rim, 32h, i45, 27.5+ with DCR 12 x 148 (Boost) hub, (steel freehub, HG) and Sapim D-light spokes. Teravail Cumberland 2.8” tyre, set up tubeless. Some paint scrapes to rim but no dings.

Axles: Wolftooth axles with captive steel washer.

Headset: Hope (new for 2020 rebuild).

Top cap: Sinewave Cycles Reactor USB charger with cabling to dynamo hub.

Stem: Thompson Elite 80mm (not the longer stem in the images with the greenery - replaced with a more appropriate shorter stem as shown in the other images)

Handlebars: Stooge Moto bar, 800mm wide, 38mm rise, 17 deg sweep, 31.8 clamp. Some rubbing from bar bags is visible)

Grips: Sonder Love Mud Grasp Comfort grips (new for 2020 rebuild)

Seatpost: Thompson Elite setback

Seatpost clamp: It’s NOT the Hope clamp which is pictured, in some shots, but an unbranded QR clamp pictured in the others.

Saddle: Brooks Cambium All Weather (new for 2020 rebuild) (if you don’t want this, I would happily keep it)

Pedals: Not included

I’m based in Bath. Would much rather have an in person collection / delivery just to avoid the pain of packing the bike into a box, and to let you inspect it before paying. Happy to consider how we might meet to exchange somewhere in the south-west but will ship if necessary.

If you want to check I’m genuine, you can find me here: www.instagram.com/uninspiredramblings and www.uninspiredramblings.com.

ImageImage
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
mikehowarth

Re: FS: Jamis Dragonslayer 27.5+ Steel Hardtail (19” Large), Custom Build, Trail / Bikepacking Bike

Post by mikehowarth »

Good luck with the sale Chris....

Just how long are those valve stems :shock:
InspiredRamblings

Re: FS: Jamis Dragonslayer 27.5+ Steel Hardtail (19” Large), Custom Build, Trail / Bikepacking Bike

Just how long are those valve stems :shock:
Ha! I know... That wasn't intentional, just bigger than I imagined when I ordered... More valve stem for your money though :roll:

trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Sorry, slightly off topic, but do you know the name of the paint colour of the boat?, i'm about to repaint mine and i really like that colour. Also, any more pics of the boat? Don't want to hijack your thread though :smile:
InspiredRamblings

Sorry, slightly off topic, but do you know the name of the paint colour of the boat?, i'm about to repaint mine and i really like that colour. Also, any more pics of the boat? Don't want to hijack your thread though :smile:
Ha, no worries :-). Its Epifanes 214 Dark Grey

Few more snaps here...Doesn't look as shiny right now - needs a proper clean and wax. It's a 70ft narrowboat. What's yours?

trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

InspiredRamblings wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:39 pm
Ha, no worries :-). Its Epifanes 214 Dark Grey

Few more snaps here...Doesn't look as shiny right now - needs a proper clean and wax. It's a 70ft narrowboat. What's yours?
Looks lovely, mine is 57 foot narrow boat and in need of new paint and a bit more work inside. I agree on the bikes, 2 is manageable but 3 would be impossible in mine...some people say I should keep them on the roof :lol:
InspiredRamblings

I agree on the bikes, 2 is manageable but 3 would be impossible in mine...some people say I should keep them on the roof :lol:
Ha :). People suggest that to me too, but it’s generally folk with no idea how much bikes cost...! I tell them there’s no chance they’re going on the roof but can never quite bring myself to admitting how much they’re worth!