Pairing quilt with mat?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Pairing quilt with mat?

Post by Moder-dye »

Hi, I've just got a Paria down 0c quilt to use with my Exped synmat UL. I'm too broad to be comfy in any bag I've ever used so often have them open with a jacket over me as well if necessary.

Just wondering how people find it best to use them. Do you just keep the foot box closed up and have the rest draped over you or do you add straps or elastic to hold it around your kip mat to stop drafts?

This one doesn't have straps ,but I could easily add some elastic straps from the press studs you can use to close it up as a bag.

Hoping to get out for a camp soon as it's been far too long, and I'm looking forward to using a decent insulated mat too!
Teetosugars

Re: Pairing quilt with mat?

Post by Teetosugars »

I’ve an old Cumulus 250, and to be fair, I took the straps off the back of it..
I just have my feet in the foot box, and let the rest drape over much like a duvet at home..
I move around a lot while I sleep, but it seems to always be over me..
Far less restrictive than a doss bag imho..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have an EE quilt that has a foot box that zips up and straps to hold it in place.
Essentially, the colder it is, the more I close it up and strap it down. As a pretty wriggly side sleeper I appreciate the straps holding everything in place and stopping drafts.
When it’s warmer I’m not so fussed about using the straps although I tend to keep the foot box formed unless it’s very warm.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Teetosugars wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:17 pm I’ve an old Cumulus 250, and to be fair, I took the straps off the back of it..
I just have my feet in the foot box, and let the rest drape over much like a duvet at home..
I move around a lot while I sleep, but it seems to always be over me..
Pretty much this. The older Cumulus had a shaped bootbox that couldn't ne opened out so that was never an option. The Cumulus comes with some cords to wrap around the mat, and I can see how they would work, but I took them off after trying them out. What I have found is that a bivvy bag makes quite a difference. It keeps everything in place and prevents any inconvenient draughts that might occur if the quilt does move.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers everyone. I'm a right wriggler too, probably another reason I've always struggled with bags.

I guess it won't harm to get some elastic strapping to toggle on and try, but good to know some don't think they need it. I'll most likely try it in a tent first, but do have bivy bag too.

This one the footbox can be opened totally fat too. Can zip up maybe 2'.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Full on wriggler here too. I took the straps off (Cumulus 150) as they were a faff. I keep the footbox zipped and the bottom draw chord tight but the rest I just throw over me. Full length thermorest neo air and an exped pillow = lots of very long nights sleep.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I never bother with straps on any of my quilts.

My Sierra Designs quilt has little hand / finger pockets at each top corner. Doesn't sound like much but they're really good at helping you pull the quilt round yourself and preventing it moving during the night.

I suppose the smaller the quilt, the greater the chance of it slipping and leaving bits exposed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I've also got an EE quilt and the strap design on them is simple and effective. They really do make a big difference on colder nights if you move about a lot.

The EE is strap design is a massive improvement to the Cumulus quilt I had previously, it was way too much of a faff to get set up so I never used them on it.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

rudedog wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:54 am I've also got an EE quilt and the strap design on them is simple and effective. They really do make a big difference on colder nights if you move about a lot.

The EE is strap design is a massive improvement to the Cumulus quilt I had previously, it was way too much of a faff to get set up so I never used them on it.
No faff at all. I leave one one my mat and the other clipped to one side of the quilt ready to go. Very neat and well thought through.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The Cumulus quilt I had didn't have clips, you had to 'lace' the quilt using the elastic cord they had provided, tried a few different ways and they were all a far cry from the simplicity of the EE method.

Looks like Cumulus have since ditched this method
jobro

Post by jobro »

Well for me its a Rab silk bag liner inside a Cumulus 150 with foot box zipped on top of an Exped Synmat UL with straps loosely fitted from quilt around the base of the mat.
I use the silk liner as I find this does away with the problems of draughts and if I get too warm I roll the quilt down so I'm just in the liner.
I'm a hot, side sleeper ( that sounds a bit weird now I've read that but you know what I mean)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers jobro, had considered that but not having ever tried a liner I assumed they'd be even more tangly for hot side sleeping wriggler :lol: