3/4 length sleeping mats

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

3/4 length sleeping mats

Post by sean_iow »

I'm thinking about a new mat and the Thermarest NeoAir UberLite has caught my eye. The short version is only 158g but it's obviously only 3/4 length, 119cm long.

I've previously used an Alpkit WeeAiric which was only 126cm long but that was only 2.5cm thick so I didn't notice the transition to my legs hanging off the end. The Neoair is 6.4cm thick.

I see that ultralight through hikers use their pack under their legs for the missing bit of mat but on the bike I wouldn't have a pack.

Has anyone tried a 3/4 (small) Thermarest? Experiences? Do you put something under your legs and if so what?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Re: 3/4 length sleeping mats

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cold feet keep me awake, consequently I've always accepted the (small) weight penalty of a full length mat.

HYOH :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I always used 3/4 mats and found that as long as it stopped below my knees, the sudden transition wasn't an issue ... obviously someone taller may have more issue finding something suitable. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think it would stop just above my knees, or maybe at them.

It's just occurred to me that the way to find out is to sleep on my current Neo Air but move down the mat so if finishes in the place where a 3/4 on would. I still need to think of something I could put under my feet to keep them off the floor, maybe just my luggage and the riding kit I've taken off.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have two 3/4 length thermarests.

I now have a full length Synmat. :lol:

* the shaped Thermarest does sit very nicely in the bottom of my packraft though
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sean, I used a short neoair for a few years and used to bung spare gear / jacket underneath my feet. This was OK but if your jacket was wet and you weren't carrying any spare gear you got cold feet. As a side sleeper I could curl up on the short mat but then I'd get a cold backside..... I then started carrying a bit of foil covered bubble wrap for my feet but eventually got a full length mat. It and my 150 quilt weighs less than the 2/3rds mat with an ultralight 250 bag and is far comfier.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

If you have a full size Thermarest NeoAir they can be DIY shortened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Fx6TLNEJQ
slarge

Post by slarge »

I use a 3/4 length Neoair - works well for me and I can have a good stretch out on it :-bd

In reality (cos I am not actually that short) I do have to keep my feet off the floor otherwise the cold comes through, but a Camelback, pair of shoes, or some other bag is always useful
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(cos I am not actually that short)
Compared to what?

May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 pm Cold feet keep me awake, consequently I've always accepted the (small) weight penalty of a full length mat.

This has always been my approach true. Have never tried a 3/4 length mat, so is based purely on theory, however. It's always struck me as a slightly odd way to save weight. You wouldn't buy a small bike if you fitted a large would you? (Not a watertight analogy, before anyone wades in :wink: )
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:40 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 pm Cold feet keep me awake, consequently I've always accepted the (small) weight penalty of a full length mat.

This has always been my approach true. Have never tried a 3/4 length mat, so is based purely on theory, however. It's always struck me as a slightly odd way to save weight. You wouldn't buy a small bike if you fitted a large would you? (Not a watertight analogy, before anyone wades in :wink: )
I tried it because "back in the day" mats were bigger and bulkier so a 3/4 seemed a good way to cut both these aspects down. For me it resulted in a sh1t sleep so I have never repeated. It was also in the days when I used a regular sleeping bag rather than a quilt. I assume it would be worse when using a quilt.

Whilst it might not be the determining factor, what is the weight saving between full > 3/4?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Another “I tried the 3/4 so you don’t have to” boner here

Yep, back in full length mat and I’m only 5’7
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 pm
I tried it because "back in the day" mats were bigger and bulkier so a 3/4 seemed a good way to cut both these aspects down.
+1
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:22 pm
Compared to what?

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:22 pm
Compared to what?

My kids have in the past called me "the tallest midget ever" - which is rich as my daughter is shorter than me. The lads are at least qualified to say that. And I am 5'7" in my thick socks so not really that short despite appearances
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 pm Whilst it might not be the determining factor, what is the weight saving between full > 3/4?
UberLite small 158g
UberLite regular 264g

My normal Neoair Xlite is 354g

So if I stuck with a full length mat I'd only save 90g but switching to the small I'd save 196g which 'might' be worth the outlay.

The small UberLite also has a tiny pack size. As I said above, I'll sleep on mine with my legs of the end to try it out, added bonus as it won't cost anything to try and if I wake up with cold legs I can just slide up my mat.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 pm Whilst it might not be the determining factor, what is the weight saving between full > 3/4?
UberLite small 158g
UberLite regular 264g

My normal Neoair Xlite is 354g

So if I stuck with a full length mat I'd only save 90g but switching to the small I'd save 196g which 'might' be worth the outlay.

The small UberLite also has a tiny pack size. As I said above, I'll sleep on mine with my legs of the end to try it out, added bonus as it won't cost anything to try and if I wake up with cold legs I can just slide up my mat.
More than I expected so I can see why you want to do it if poss. I think it's been said before "what price a good kip" though :wink:

HYOH, as always :cool:
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I use a 3/4 mat and I also use a pillow but not positioned on top of the mat which makes the whole set up longer and
with knees slightly bent I don't have issues with feet hanging over the end of the mat. (5'10")
The pillow is raised up to the right level with kit I am not wearing.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"