Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by belugabob »

benp1 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:19 pm Finally got a personal laptop so thought I'd download the VV extension for Chrome and have a browse on the strava route planner. Work laptop doesn't let me download any extra software. Just discovered that I can't get to it, guessing it's a premium feature only

Have others been doing something to get around this?
Upgrade to premium, I'm afraid
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Some big miles following the lifting of restrictions has finally like Stu enabled me to turn 50 :-bd

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Impressive achievement that Stevo :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 pm Impressive achievement that Stevo :-bd
Cheers, it’s been fun. Chasing the squares has taken me to some great places, and Swindon.
I’ve waded through rivers, snuck through MOD land and found some great countryside. One thing it does is to give a deep understanding of how the landscape changes.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:38 pm Got out after work and filled a big hole out towards the Cotswolds, 27x27 :-bd
Just looking through trying to find where I was at last (now on 18)... Steve this phenomenal, since June 2020 you've managed to pick up the appropriate squares to increase staright to 50x... :-bd well done
redefined_cycles

I'm not doing very well with neatening up my square, which would allow me to showcase it on the 'show us your square' thread. It's the bottom left corner that I'm having trouble with as it overlaps lots of bog and footpath I believe...

So what I might do, to save myself from having to walk/run, I might start working on squaring it up towards the right (York top right corner and Doncaster bottom right).

In the meanwhile though, since I've managed to get some potential work opportunities in Wales - which if I'm careful and forward plan a bit, might not lose out on fuel and accomodation too much - so I'm hoping to fill my BB200 squares instead. Managed to nab a couple the other day and it makes sense as I doubt I'd ever be able to complete another BB200... They seem to only be getting harder, though I've only experience of the 2 so far :???:

Watch this space (or square)... :smile:

PS. BDS, your square looks rather neat... why not whack it on that there 'show us your sqaure' thread.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH, I'm more Cluster orientated. I reckon getting anything beyond 18x18 is going to be a no-go. I'm now trying to see how far I can stretch it, with Fort William as a medium term goal.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Was out again today, Beaconsfield, up to High Wycombe then a quick loop down into Marlow. Some good work and linked up with a little cluster around my work at pinewood studios, I’m now in contact with the M25 :shock: quite lumpy in the chilterns, over 100ft a mile for the first 30.
At the moment I’m pushing out east but there’s no getting away from the looming metropolis of Slough and Reading, aiming to push it out to 60 before top and tailing it, should really be out in the Lambourn downs while it’s dry and no chance of any more rouge snow!
I have to say shaf I live somewhere which makes veloviewer easy, most of the terrain around me is gently undulating (C. Pickers) I have to head quite far to find any real hills.
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Went on road ride with friends, today.
This took us out if my cluster, and over into an area that I'd planned to start bagging, soon.
9 new tiles bagged, and a couple of near misses.
Main thing is, it was was a nice ride (despite the chilly headwind) and the BLT, at the cafe, was excellent.

I do, however, have to go back and fill in some holes
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I hate holes! The most annoying is the single square which you thought you’d bagged but after uploading the ride turns out that you missed by 3 feet :roll:

redefined_cycles

Managed to nab a few on todays/yesterdays commute. Watch this space
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Last couple of weeks I've been trying to get in at least 7 new tiles per week. So far it's working out well and am enjoying exploring places I wouldn't usually visit or visited but didn't record or have been wanting to visit for ages.
Jumped from a 11 x 11 square to 13 x 13 square.
North and West of home is easy to extend, the Prealps fade into the what we call midlands. South and East is trickier, the Alps are like a wall (Eiger North wall for example) towards the SE.

I do wonder where this will take me and am looking forward to more exploring.

Hopefully of to a ride tomorrow to get some new tiles in an area I've ridden before but didn't record. Same area but new tracks. Should be fun.

Thanks to all taking part and posting on here, it's a fairly new way for me to get out on my bike and I take a lot of inspiration from it.
Have never before used such things like heat maps and segments to find single tracks used for mtb fun, especially outside areas I know. Good stuff.

*failed to share dropbox links from recent trips and my VWS*
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:32 pm Last couple of weeks I've been trying to get in at least 7 new tiles per week. So far it's working out well and am enjoying exploring places I wouldn't usually visit or visited but didn't record or have been wanting to visit for ages.
Jumped from a 11 x 11 square to 13 x 13 square.
North and West of home is easy to extend, the Prealps fade into the what we call midlands. South and East is trickier, the Alps are like a wall (Eiger North wall for example) towards the SE.

I do wonder where this will take me and am looking forward to more exploring.

Hopefully of to a ride tomorrow to get some new tiles in an area I've ridden before but didn't record. Same area but new tracks. Should be fun.

Thanks to all taking part and posting on here, it's a fairly new way for me to get out on my bike and I take a lot of inspiration from it.
Have never before used such things like heat maps and segments to find single tracks used for mtb fun, especially outside areas I know. Good stuff.

*failed to share dropbox links from recent trips and my VWS*
Just a little tip Gian to identify the empty squares whilst route builidn. In Strava route builder (not sure if specific to premium members) by connecting the Veloviewer account to strava you can get the plugIn. That way when making a route and going through a previous empty sqaure, it activates it green so you definitely know you've not recorded that area before. Pretty nifty tool which will help me populate the area betweeen me and York (work)...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I usually have the veloviewer explorer map open which shows my previously explored squares/ current location and my garmin set to a screen which highlights squares as I pass through them. I don’t plan rides, I set set off and make it up as I go along. It usually works out pretty effective although I do have to stop and look at my map more often. If you use an android phone I believe there’s an app which does both functions. Personally I find the Strava route planner tedious.

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:15 pm Just a little tip Gian to identify the empty squares whilst route builidn. In Strava route builder (not sure if specific to premium members) by connecting the Veloviewer account to strava you can get the plugIn. That way when making a route and going through a previous empty sqaure, it activates it green so you definitely know you've not recorded that area before. Pretty nifty tool which will help me populate the area betweeen me and York (work)...
Thanks Shaf, I did read a bit on here and saw that about the Chrome plugin. I've a very good mapping tool with the Swiss topo maps which shows many tracks the usual maps (as on Strava) don't display, so almost all my domestic route planning is done with that, rather than Strava, which I only use to make sure I get the new tiles.

I don't do roads :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Woo! Finally some new squares. :grin:

I'm absolutely gutted about missing these two... seems I didn't go quite far enough. :sad:

Anyone know how I can find out how many new squares the WRT rides got me in total?

Edit - Can I request next year's WRT waypoints go into the blank areas on my map @Bearbonesnorm ? :lol:

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Went out for a couple of hours yesterday in the last of the sun and only managed to bag a single new square, apparently I should have zigged instead of zagged at one particular junction to get another one, hohum. Up to a mahoosive 6x6 square :grin:
slarge

Post by slarge »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:47 am Went out for a couple of hours yesterday in the last of the sun and only managed to bag a single new square, apparently I should have zigged instead of zagged at one particular junction to get another one, hohum. Up to a mahoosive 6x6 square :grin:
Even the big hitters up there started somewhere!!

And 6x6 is great - easy target to get 7x7!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Richard G wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:20 pm Woo! Finally some new squares. :grin:

I'm absolutely gutted about missing these two... seems I didn't go quite far enough. :sad:
Rich, if you have a recent Garmin there’s a screen you can add called ‘Every tile’ it’s very basic and just turns a tile green when you pass through it. Sounds basic but you know with certainty that you’ve bagged it and on unplanned meandering rides it helps me keep track of where I’ve been and the most effective route back to the van.
Talking of vans, I’d also recommend saving your parking location on google maps, I’d hate to admit how many times I’ve arrived back at some town or village only to completely forget where I parked :lol:

arkay

Post by arkay »

Richard G wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:20 pm Woo! Finally some new squares. :grin:

I imagine you know this but sometimes Veloviewer doesn’t give you the square until you open the ride and view the full data, as the summary map uses a simplified version of the data that can miss squares you just enter.

There’s a column in the summary table called “Tiles calculated” (I think) that will say “Yes” if you have opened the ride and forced VV to check every single GPS point
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Aye, sadly the detail view misses by even more. lol
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Went out again this evening and bagged 20 odd new squares in under 50k - only up to a 7x7 square but 9x9 is only a couple of 2 hour rides off. A couple of firsts on this ride, the first time I used my new garmin to follow a plotted course which worked well and also the first time I went down a track for 100m just to get a square before turning around :)
arkay

Post by arkay »

It soon gets addictive. I’m up to 17x17 so increasing the max square now means quite a trek to reach the outliers, or planning some trips out by train/car. I’m certainly not a purist about having to reach the squares from my door.

I found VV really valuable during lockdown for motivating me to go and find some new local places - I discovered lots of great areas by filling in the gaps relatively close to home.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My rides tend to be time limited so starting this exercise made me realise just how often in the last few years I’ve just done the same routes because I know exactly how long they take.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Exciting veloviewer news :-bd
I finished a job early and as I’m leaving the company at the end of the month I decided to slack off and go for a ride :-bd
A little jaunt from Uxbridge towards central London and I’ve managed to join my main cluster to my London one, well not officially as it’s only two squares wide in two places so doesn’t count towards the cluster but still happy.