Would this work around standard brake calipers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Would this work around standard brake calipers?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just randomly thinking this through this morning on the drive home from work...

https://restrap.com/products/bar-pack

Does it (and others of this design) look like it's not really appropriate for non-disc bikes. I'd be using it mainly on the road bike which has normal-roadie calipers brakes. The idea of it fitting between the road bars and being an all in one contained unit (and not Alpkit trash :-bd ) really appeals to me...

Thoughts appreciated/welcome (and sorry for trashing about on Alpkit/Sonder... I'm sure they're good folks really :smile: :lol: ).
PaulB2

Re: Would this work around standard brake calipers?

Post by PaulB2 »

Any bar bag has got the potential to interfere with brake cable placement if that’s what you mean. If you’ve got side exit brake cables as opposed to running along the bars, PLP used a brake noodle to route the cable away from his bag to avoid the friction.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ortlieb, Altura, Vaude etc all do bar bags with rigid mounts that avoid brake cable rub.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 am Ortlieb, Altura, Vaude etc all do bar bags with rigid mounts that avoid brake cable rub.
To go on the road bike with some aero bars Colin (they're really comfy) so mounts are somewhat a pain...
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:05 am Any bar bag has got the potential to interfere with brake cable placement if that’s what you mean. If you’ve got side exit brake cables as opposed to running along the bars, PLP used a brake noodle to route the cable away from his bag to avoid the friction.
Cablea come straight through the bar Paul... then straight down to the caliper over thr headtube... It was mainly the strap that goes over the headtube I imagined might causs interference/issue...
techno

Post by techno »

Restrap do an aero bar bag too shaf: https://restrap.com/collections/bar-bag ... ro-bar-bag
Gari

Post by Gari »

I don’t think it will fit aero bars looking at it. I’m going to order on shortly, it’ll be on both my commuter with v brakes and tourer/gravel/whatever with discs.
redefined_cycles

techno wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:11 pm Restrap do an aero bar bag too shaf: https://restrap.com/collections/bar-bag ... ro-bar-bag
Aha... i only have the aero handlebars and not the aero bars (sorry) to get myself looking stupidly superman... the 10L bag I like cos it seems simple to use with just he top openeing and Restrap class it as watertight which I've had good output from there stuff before om (bad english... sorry.. you know what I mean :o ).
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The Ortleib bag bracket attached with plastic coated wire that wraps aroun the bars a few times and is then cinched in.
It may work on funny shaped bars.
I could send you one to try out if you like.
Trad Ortlieb bar bags are great. Click on and off in a second and are solid as anything.
You get a whole load of stuff in them and if you carry one around whilst wearing Birkenstock sandles and socks people will think you are German.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:06 pm The Ortleib bag bracket attached with plastic coated wire that wraps aroun the bars a few times and is then cinched in.
It may work on funny shaped bars.
I could send you one to try out if you like.
Trad Ortlieb bar bags are great. Click on and off in a second and are solid as anything.
You get a whole load of stuff in them and if you carry one around whilst wearing Birkenstock sandles and socks people will think you are German.
If I got the smaller dry bag version thingy (I assume it comes in various widths for roadies) would it clear 42cm bars please Luke. Might take a look as I do need some more Ortlieb in my life and price might not be as eye watering... trying to aim for a full (saddle - check; half frame - check that; bar bag - still seeking out) setup by this Sunday as I'm booked for Nottingham for 5th til 8th... So plan to cycle down with my work shoes and ride back later in week. Bike stays in b&b and walk the 2.5 miles to work :grin:
redefined_cycles

Or maybe I'll just have to take the light backpack as it is a bit short notice and still trying to figure out the expenses :smile: :o
Gari

Post by Gari »

An ortlieb will fit 42cm drops, I use one on 44s with plenty of space. The risen and Kaul bar fitting is better IMO, as it’s easier to remove/refit unlike the Ortlieb one.
redefined_cycles

Gari wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:23 pm An ortlieb will fit 42cm drops, I use one on 44s with plenty of space. The risen and Kaul bar fitting is better IMO, as it’s easier to remove/refit unlike the Ortlieb one.
Is that a full bag system or is it extra expense. Thanks again Gari and everyone...

In other news, I just got a message from my agency abiut blokc bookings and accodmodation support in Wales (I only mention cos i know there's a few nurses on here... get yourself on the agency people :-bd )...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I mean one of these.

https://road.cc/content/review/213798-o ... dlebar-bag

Not a ‘bikepacking’ one.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Gari

Post by Gari »

Me too, they work really well. They don’t come with a bar mount though. You can normally get the bag and mount for about £70.
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:39 pm I mean one of these.

https://road.cc/content/review/213798-o ... dlebar-bag

Not a ‘bikepacking’ one.
That strap would sit straight on it seems... looks like it attaches with zip ties and I have the room for that (edit: erm.. have I ?)...

This is rather interesting discussion...
Gari

Post by Gari »

It needs a mount to fit to the bars, it won’t fit with zip ties.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FYI, that type of bag would mean having to relocate your front light. Probably some sort of extension bracket to lift it a bit higher. The cables that wrap around your stem might mean having to remove and refit your GPS mount (as a one-off).

This is the Ortlieb solution

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ortlieb_ul ... t-ID_76762?

other systems can be found
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

This was the bit I referred to Gari. I assumed it meant it comes with the bracket. My bars have about 3 or 4mm next to the stem on each side for something to fix there... :???:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - it's not zip-ties holding it on, it's a wrap-around cable.
Gari

Post by Gari »

In my opinion, and experience those mounts are sh*te, the wire is hard to get tension in, are a pain to remove and a nightmare to refit afterwards. And it gets worse every time you try to refit. You are probably going to need to move the light whatever bar bag you use.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rix ... ock-32-mm/
This one works so much better.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:22 pm FYI, that type of bag would mean having to relocate your front light. Probably some sort of extension bracket to lift it a bit higher. The cables that wrap around your stem might mean having to remove and refit your GPS mount (as a one-off).

This is the Ortlieb solution

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ortlieb_ul ... t-ID_76762?

other systems can be found
Oh... ok. That leaves me back at the drawing boards I suppose. Might just need to keep it simple with an Apidura handlebar roll end pack...
Gari

Post by Gari »

Also, there are several versions, the 5 or 6 will be much more usable than the urban thing. And probably a bit cheaper.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gari wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:32 pm In my opinion, and experience those mounts are sh*te, the wire is hard to get tension in, are a pain to remove and a nightmare to refit afterwards. And it gets worse every time you try to refit. You are probably going to need to move the light whatever bar bag you use.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rix ... ock-32-mm/
This one works so much better.
Yep, I'd agree with the easier fitting but it might not work with Shafs aero bars, unless the aero section starts far enough out from the stem.
Gari

Post by Gari »

They only sit about 10mm out from the stem, the flat bit would need to be pretty much up to the stem for it to be an issue tbh.