Rear rack for a krampus

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mactheknife68

Rear rack for a krampus

Post by Mactheknife68 »

I’m after a rear rack for an og Surly krampus with clearance for 29x3.0” tyres on rabbit hole rims.
Any recommendations
directdrive

Re: Rear rack for a krampus

Post by directdrive »

Just bought a Tubus Vega myself. There's an article on Bikepacking.com about fitting one on an ECR with 29x3.0 tyres on those rims, might be worth a look.

Otherwise Blackburn do a fat rack for big tyres.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I have a Salsa rack and an old man mountain one, both excellent,
Both have loads of clearance....the omm one would probably survive
A holocaust....
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Yes would certainly like an omm one but expensive to import from the US, same for the Tumbleweed one.
@directdrive I’ll have a read at that article cheers.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:13 pm Yes would certainly like an omm one but expensive to import from the US, same for the Tumbleweed one.
@directdrive I’ll have a read at that article cheers.
https://bikepacking.com/gear/tubus-vega ... extra-h20/ Here it is just in case.

If you do decide on a Vega, Spa have the regular 'Evo' version and the 29er version (might be better for tyre clearance) on offer at the moment for £65 and £75 respectively
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Cheers for that I’ll have a look
Fat tyre kicker

The tumbleweed one is very nice but expensive like you said, I picked
The Omm one up for £37 on eBay, I'm still after another Salsa minimalist
Rack though as I stupidly sold my last one :oops:
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Flip those omm racks are expensive but the fitting kit is off the chart price wise.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

What kind of thing you after? Steel or alu? And bag support/strapping, or panniers?
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Steel or aluminumno preference, no need for panniers on the krampus but if the rack was interchangeable with my Salsa Vaya I might use panniers
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Had originally looked at the Tailfin but currently sold out, :sad:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

directdrive wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:16 pm Just bought a Tubus Vega myself. There's an article on Bikepacking.com about fitting one on an ECR with 29x3.0 tyres on those rims, might be worth a look.

I have a Vega on my Krampus and it didn't work with Maxxis DHR II 3.0" on a rather narrow (for 3" tyres) i30 mm rim.
I have to use the Tubus extension (adapter) to make it work and it's a very close fit.
Whilst the Vega is a great rack, I don't think it works (extension or not) with true 3" tyres on a wide rim.

I'm convinced the Topeak Uni Super Tourist DX would work on 29+, since I used (the non fatbike version) on my former fatbike (170 mm rear) with 4.8 x 26" and i80 mm rims which have a similar diameter to 29+ wheels.

I used the above mentioned Topeak rack for a trip where I had to carry some serious amount of food (for 30 days) and water (for 4 days) across rough terrain and they (front and rear) were absolutely carefree, despite riding not quite sensible in places.

If I was looking into getting a new rack for free choice of tyre/rim combination on a Krampus, I'd get the Topeak one.
Fat tyre kicker

By the way, Carradice are Uk importers of Old man mountain and as far as I know
The fitting kits come with them....still not cheap mind :|
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Alpinum wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 pm
directdrive wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:16 pm Just bought a Tubus Vega myself. There's an article on Bikepacking.com about fitting one on an ECR with 29x3.0 tyres on those rims, might be worth a look.

I have a Vega on my Krampus and it didn't work with Maxxis DHR II 3.0" on a rather narrow (for 3" tyres) i30 mm rim.
I have to use the Tubus extension (adapter) to make it work and it's a very close fit.
Whilst the Vega is a great rack, I don't think it works (extension or not) with true 3" tyres on a wide rim.

I'm convinced the Topeak Uni Super Tourist DX would work on 29+, since I used (the non fatbike version) on my former fatbike (170 mm rear) with 4.8 x 26" and i80 mm rims which have a similar diameter to 29+ wheels.

I used the above mentioned Topeak rack for a trip where I had to carry some serious amount of food (for 30 days) and water (for 4 days) across rough terrain and they (front and rear) were absolutely carefree, despite riding not quite sensible in places.

If I was looking into getting a new rack for free choice of tyre/rim combination on a Krampus, I'd get the Topeak one.
Also had one of these and it was super solid. I just aesthetically don't like the stainless steel plate stays they come with. Also the reason I recommended the Vega, I like the minimalism.

Tubus Fat Rack would do it.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have used these Tourtec Expedition racks on my Pugsley for years. It fits my Longitude too.

https://www.merlincycles.com/tortec-exp ... 47169.html

It’s not pretty but it’s not quite the ugliest rack I have seen either. And it’s cheap.

I tried my Tubus Cosmo on my Longitude and it clears. 2.6 easily. But I’m not sure it would clear a 3.0 safely.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Looking for a bit more minimalist than the Topeak one cheers

Fat tyre kicker if your right about the racks coming with the fitting kit then that’s a definite option I’ll ring tomorrow and check.
Definitely cheaper than a custom option at £200
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

directdrive wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:22 pm Also had one of these and it was super solid. I just aesthetically don't like the stainless steel plate stays they come with. Also the reason I recommended the Vega, I like the minimalism.

Tubus Fat Rack would do it.
Yeah, super solid indeed.
Doesn't flex under load like the Tubus. But then one is alu the other steel...

Cut the plate off. It's alu, not steel. Easy job for a dremel. Did it with both Topeak I use, since it's only there for the Topeak bags.

Not much use the decent looking Vega if you're on a true to size 3 inch tyre on a 45 mm wide rim.
I'd suggest using what truly works, not what's nice to look at.

Also, the Vega is fairly narrow. Okay for panniers, or a drybag on top, not so handy for everyday use.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Spoke with Dan at Tailfin and there S Three rack clears 29x2.9 so could be an option, thinks it will clear a 3.0” tyre with the qr option as it lifts the rack up slightly.

Anyone running one?
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

I should have been clearer, apologies - I just suggested the Vega as it was what I'd done the most research into from my limited experience and had read talk of it fitting 3.0 rubber, especially the 29er version. Of course it's not the optimal solution in this case - more that if you are specifically after something minimal-looking, it would be under consideration.
Alpinum wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:19 am I'd suggest using what truly works, not what's nice to look at.
A small point in favour of 'nice to look at' though - not always mutually exclusive with 'truly works' and my personal view is that racks often look pretty rubbish, especially the £20 - £30 jobs from Topeak, Tortec etc, even if they are robust. I'm sure most people here have spent more than I have on their bike(s), and to me it seem like a shame to stick bolt a chunk of painted alloy with bendy stays onto the back of the old pride and joy. Entirely personal preference ofc.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Agree totally I’m struggling to find something that pleases my eye and is functional (moon on a stick). What do you think of Tailfin?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:38 pm Andy Cox (@doubletrackfanatic & @europeandividetrail on IG) has been using one for 1 year (I know because he sent it to my house to install it) and is very happy with it. Thousands and thousands of km's on various terrain, still going strong. I'm not sure, but think he's using the alloy version.

He raved about the ease of packing.
It seems well thought through.
I think he was on Terravail 29 x 2.8 tyres or so. I definately can't remember the rack being close to the tyre.

Quite a neat solution this Tailfin thing. Might be a really good option if price doesn't matter (that much). Alloy version obviously.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Yes absolutely it would be the alloy version and it is appealing to the eye :-bd

I like the e ability to use cargo cages as my krampus fork doesn’t have that ability