Etrex Stem Mount

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

trob6

Etrex Stem Mount

Post by trob6 »

I needed an Etrex mount for my wife's bike and there is not room on the bars for the usual slidey ebay ones so that left the stem.

I know Garmin do quarter turn mounts on some of there gps units but not the Etrex but found a file on the interwebs for a 3d printed one and all you have to do is buy the bit that fits on the stem, 3 quid from ebay :-bd

One of the lads that work at my local bike shop has a 3d printer and I asked him if he would have a look at the file for me, he's a smart cookie and said the quarter turn 3d printed bit would not be super durable but he could make the slide mount that bolts to the new stem cap if he alters the file a bit.

This is the first test one, he is getting some more durable plastic for the new one but so far it is working very well.

This first picture is the quid stem cap.

What's the worst than can happen?
boxelder

Re: Etrex Stem Mount

Post by boxelder »

When can we buy them and how much?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

That's great Tim. :-bd

How much and when can we buy them?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

another wanting to buy it
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Evening chaps

we will test this one first and then with the new plastic to make sure they last and I will ask Rob at the bike shop how much he wants for them and how you can pay him, he said it took 2 hours to make on the printer.
I will put a link on for the stem cap i got from ebay.
I imagine its a couple of months before we know if they are strong enough but will put some updates on and let you know.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

trob6

Post by trob6 »

They have gone up in price a pound since last week!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

That looks great. Much neater than my solution to this problem, which was to buy a stick-on quarter-turn mount (intended for use on a phone) and bolt it to a trimmed down Etrex slidey mount.

It’s not super-elegant but it works very well and was cheap. I’ll post pics if anyone’s interested.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes please as I have toyed with this
I have a RAM mount but its quite big and not easy to change between bikes - wont ever fallout though
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Sticky mount:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phone-Holder ... SwdHpcF9jB

I shaved the bottom of the Etrex mount, with a craft knife, I think, then drilled it and bolted the two mounts together. Not difficult and works fine. A bit higher profile and much less elegant than the printed version, though.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Well I'm sorry to say that the stem mount is not currently up to the job, works fine if your on the road but it broke off road, you can see the weave inside the break and its a bit like an Aero chocolate bar.
I will speak to my mate that made it and see what he says and maybe he can make it differently?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TXM9T ... 7&li=shops

I saw this - someone on here linked to the site for some reason but i forget why - and i found it seraching
To save a click its the 1/4 turn mount only with a hole to self tap it into the battery cover - not sure I would want to do that
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nearly a year on, anyone got any updates or improvements?
jay91

Post by jay91 »

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XF3QS ... arketplace

I've got ones of these works fine but definitely not cheap
Trying to ride bikes.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

benp1 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:30 pm Nearly a year on, anyone got any updates or improvements?
I use the same base mount from ebay and one of the cheapy bar mounts but file the base until it fits the base mount and but the little bolts it, it seems to work very well.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Got this today.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09D7K ... asin_title

Seems to do the job.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

ripio wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:37 pm Got this today.

Seems to do the job.
How does it attach to the stem - does it need an 'out front' mount or something?
ripio

Post by ripio »

boxelder wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:49 pm
ripio wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:37 pm Got this today.

Seems to do the job.
How does it attach to the stem - does it need an 'out front' mount or something?
The box contains two different mounts.

One has the quarter turn male interface and just clips in to any quarter turn female bracket, be it out front or stem top or band on style. It is effectively the same as the 3D printed mounts discussed above.
So you leave it attached to the GPS unit and clip it in and out of the standard quarter turn mount.

The other mount is designed to replace the female quarter turn bracket interface and turn it into a etrex style slide on bracket.
This would be left attached to the bike and you slide the GPS unit on and off.

I use the former one as it suits my bracket and purpose. Just back from a ride with it and all good.
javatime

Post by javatime »

Been following this as I don't have much space on my bars

I seem to have found a simple, free solution, so far good for a few hundred off road miles

I used a countersink drill bit on the square hole that would retain the rubber seat, so that the star fangled screw sits down nice and flush.

Dispensed with the rubber seat but added a rubber "washer" cut from an old inner tube prevents rotation and perhaps the slight up curve of the mount holds the Garmin tighter than before but always use a lanyard anyway.

Will add a photo later

[imgImage[/img]

[Imagenearest regions bank]
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Interested in that Amazon kit. My DIY effort, (v similar to Javatime’s) has worked well but now, after a good few hundred bumpy miles, the female stem-top bracket has failed. It may be down to a poor quality bracket but I’ve always thought the extra height of my DIY gizmo was likely to increase leverage.
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

jay91 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:41 pm https://www.shapeways.com/product/XF3QS ... arketplace

I've got ones of these works fine but definitely not cheap
Does this work with this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Headset ... 4741159455
ripio

Post by ripio »

Charliecres wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:38 pm Interested in that Amazon kit. My DIY effort, (v similar to Javatime’s) has worked well but now, after a good few hundred bumpy miles, the female stem-top bracket has failed. It may be down to a poor quality bracket but I’ve always thought the extra height of my DIY gizmo was likely to increase leverage.
Been using my Tusita mount from Amazon for over a month now and it works perfectly.
Al

Post by Al »

I used a spare exposure light ‘shoe’ for my home brew mount - very solid

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12094&p=148886&hil ... re#p148886
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

ripio wrote: ↑Mon May 02, 2022 11:37 am
Got this today.

Seems to do the job.
Yes also just got this and its really tight fit in the 1/ turn mount and holds the etrex incredibly securely - so securely i struggled so much to get it off that i just stopped trying - at least it wont jump out like some cheap units - yet to use it in anger on the bike but cannot see how it would fail - possibly the materials?
You do get two mounts

1, 1/4 turn on the bottom
2. bolt holds for the posh ones you can remove the 1/4 turn but form and bolt it up - i wont use this if anyone is interested in it [£5- which is what it cost me ]
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Mine survived the big descent off Rooley Moor Road, probably as a big a test as you are going to get