Surly Extraterrestrial 29x2.5 alternatives?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

directdrive

Surly Extraterrestrial 29x2.5 alternatives?

Post by directdrive »

Anybody aware of a half decent alternative to this tyre? Looks like a good blend of low rolling resistance, protection, gravel to moderate off road capability, volume, and reasonable weight - but hugely expensive at least in the UK.

Currently running X-Kings in 29x2.4 flavour which are fine, pretty nippy on pavement/hard pack considering the tread, and light, but something a bit beefier wouldn't go amiss. I'm also not particularly confident in their ability to avoid punctures.

The ET looks a bit like a Marathon from the tread pattern but those are like hauling tubes full of water, so I don't want or need to go back down that route.

I tend to ride maybe 50% gravel track or forestry paths, 30% doubletrack or 'light' singletrack, 10% really gnarly stuff and 10% tarmac. So I'm aware there's no tyre that's going to be perfect in all scenarios. Rigid Longitude and neither rider nor bike is ultralight.

Any faves?
ton

Re: Surly Extraterrestrial 29x2.5 alternatives?

Post by ton »

these are very good. not draggy like some of the schwalbe offerings.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m14b0s142p2 ... al-Folding

i am running Teravail sparwood 2.2 tubeless
no problems so far and i weigh 21 stone. done 1000 miles on em.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

They look alright actually. A good write-up on Bikepacking.com too.

The Sparwoods look amazing, although the same price as ETs - it might just be time for me to accept that decent boutique bikepacking tyres are expensive and start saving...
Loki

Post by Loki »

I am currently waiting for my ET's in 27.5x2.5 for my Bridgeclub to arrive, I did look at the Marathon Allmotion but in both wheel sizes it is only available in a 2.15, Vittoria do the Mezcal in a 2.6?
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Loki wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:45 pm I am currently waiting for my ET's in 27.5x2.5 for my Bridgeclub to arrive, I did look at the Marathon Allmotion but in both wheel sizes it is only available in a 2.15, Vittoria do the Mezcal in a 2.6?
Mezcal might be the sweet spot actually - that would be an ideal size. Vittoria stuff often comes up on PX on sale, so I'll keep an eye peeled.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

directdrive wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:02 pm
Loki wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:45 pm I am currently waiting for my ET's in 27.5x2.5 for my Bridgeclub to arrive, I did look at the Marathon Allmotion but in both wheel sizes it is only available in a 2.15, Vittoria do the Mezcal in a 2.6?
Mezcal might be the sweet spot actually - that would be an ideal size. Vittoria stuff often comes up on PX on sale, so I'll keep an eye peeled.
I use Mezcals for everyday riding during summer and took them across Iceland twice.
Good tires. The 2.6 measures true to size on an i30 mm rim. Have been holding up really well, both tread and sidewalls. For the fast rolling speed they still offer pretty good grip, dry and wet.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve wanted to try a set of the ET’s but the Mezcals roll so well I don’t think I’d gain anything but weight.
My wallet would be much lighter so it might balance out :???:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Cheers all, seems to be a consensus that the Mezcals are the way to go. Someone on eBay has got them for £25 each, so I'll take a punt. That's a third of an ET. Plus they've got the same pretty grey sidewall :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Check if they are wire bead, if not that’s a great price.

directdrive

Post by directdrive »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:45 pm Check if they are wire bead, if not that’s a great price.
Folding bead. There's still a few left, I'll pop them in the bargain thread.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheers I might bag one for the front

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I've had a pair of 26 x 2.5 E/t's for a couple of years, used them on my Mukluk
As a gravel/ training tyre and they're excellent, also used them on a very muddy
Winter ride when I couldn't be arsed putting my fat tyres on :oops: and I
Survived ! Pretty much all round great tyre, I now have spare wheels and a
Dedicated fattie so the Muk is 29+ ( the Mezcals look good for that) so I'm
Hoping the e/t's ( mainly the rear) will go in my 'Dale Ultra touring frame :-bd
Disco

Post by Disco »

Hard to find any ET's in 27.5 x2.5's in UK, did you buy from somewhere in Europe?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Just bought a couple of those Mezcals - thanks for the link. One will replace the Vee Trax Fatty on my singlespeed, as I’d forgotten just how awful the Fatty is.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:29 pm Just bought a couple of those Mezcals - thanks for the link. One will replace the Vee Trax Fatty on my singlespeed, as I’d forgotten just how awful the Fatty is.
Man they are awful.
They were the first tyres I had on my Krampus and they made me think I had made a terrible mistake.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

https://bananaindustries.co.uk/collecti ... e-29-x-2-6

2 left if you're fast - 2.6 Mecals for £18
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Deals! Shame I missed that.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:19 pm
AlasdairMc wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:29 pm Just bought a couple of those Mezcals - thanks for the link. One will replace the Vee Trax Fatty on my singlespeed, as I’d forgotten just how awful the Fatty is.
Man they are awful.
They were the first tyres I had on my Krampus and they made me think I had made a terrible mistake.
I fitted mine as my Chronicle wouldn’t fit in my fork. It’s just awful. No side knobs to speak of so it suddenly breaks traction, noisy as hell, and quite a drag on it.

I’m hoping the Mezcals turn out better. They look quite like the Saguaro which I ran for a while.