Considering a Santa Cruz Highball.. or have I missed summat else!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Considering a Santa Cruz Highball.. or have I missed summat else!

Post by redefined_cycles »

I like a good light bike. Last one, even though it did come with a 5 year warranty, seems I missed the small print (I won't put horrible sarcastic comments regards them here :grin: ).

Anyway, fast forward a little and I'm not sure if I've pee'd them off (and I'm not bothered if I have as it's a total farce IMO... your opinion may vary). I'm also seriously considering the money I've managed to raise on a SC instead (knew I should've bought Daves when he was selling up a year or so ago).

Previously I missed out on the SC as I wasn't happy I'd not able to get a dropper in there and the price (obviously). But now after having raised the £400 already and having a spare IndyFab that I could sell. As well as the fact droppers in 27.2mm might be cheaper and easier available now, I'm seriously thinking the SC is the was forward for me.

I really need superlight as the BB200 is the highlight (bike ride terms) of my year and without as much help in the form of a cutting edge frame/weight/design, I'd really struggle (even more than I have already).

Just wanted to put my thoughts openly out there. I wouldn't mind a used frame but I believe they're like hens teeth.

Thoughts please if you might...
GregMay

Re: Considering a Santa Cruz Highball.. or have I missed summat else!

Post by GregMay »

They are nice. Overpriced, but nice.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

GregMay wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:43 pm They are nice. Overpriced, but nice.
Pretty much this. Faultless warranty of course.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

A: That's an XC race bike.

B: I'd not have a 100mm travel bike for a general duties MTB.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:48 pm
GregMay wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:43 pm They are nice. Overpriced, but nice.
Pretty much this. Faultless warranty of course.
Superlight was probably the best bike I've had previously (before going on a bike diet and rigid) and the bearings were still fine after it being at least 5 years old...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Trek Procaliber- the rear end is ridiculously comfortable

It will mean owning a trek though :oops:
redefined_cycles

A: That's an XC

B: I'd not have a 100mm travel bike for a general duties MTB.
That means i should get the BPing Chameleon version and just be happy with the extra weight/strength...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:02 pm Trek Procaliber- the rear end is ridiculously comfortable

Sold my Procal last month & kinda thinking i need a carbon hardtail back in my life for those fast xc days out X_X
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

(a) what on hell is wrong with having a Trek?

(b) what you want is a Supercaliber :lol:

Mate has one and it's lush.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am (a) what on hell is wrong with having a Trek?

They make me think of Lance Pharmstrong and I feel a little sick :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Have a look at the Pivot LES Shaf.
Good warranty too, had some lacquer come off mine & they replaced the whole frame.

Also with any carbon frame don't forget to allow for a full good helli-tape if you're going to strapping anything to it..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Wotsits wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm Have a look at the Pivot LES Shaf.
Good warranty too, had some lacquer come off mine & they replaced the whole frame.

Also with any carbon frame don't forget to allow for a full good helli-tape if you're going to strapping anything to it..
Thanks for this... Yes I briefly looked at them too but couldn't figure out the warranty properly (probably cos on the night shift) and prices were about 1800£ AFAIR. Maybe warranty was 10 years.

Mike Hall rode one of them on his record setting TD pace I think right. Yes, helitape (well another brand but its amazing stuff... Conva I think) is in the ahed waiting to go on and so it was on with the (rubbish) Sonder.

Just spoke to Stif MTB about the legendary warranty at SC. They agreed, i was numb from tiredness of the 2 night shifts, they were smily and polite, I investigated interest free finance options and checked how much I'd saved for a (crappy) Sonder already. The rest as they say is history and now its just a waiting game to see if the one they think will come into the in May will actually arrive. 60 dealers will be fighting for it but I'm confident it'll be mine. If not, then it was meant to be and an eye wateringly expensive SC wasn't for me afterall :shock:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 pm Thanks for this... Yes I briefly looked at them too but couldn't figure out the warranty properly (probably cos on the night shift) and prices were about 1800£ AFAIR. Maybe warranty was 10 years.
It's 10 years for any frame bought after June 17.
1 year for cosmetic defects.

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/warranty/

Have you not considered ti? IMO the practicalities of the material are ideal for bikepacking..
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am (a) what on hell is wrong with having a Trek?

A) They’re uninspiring to ride, had half a dozen and they’ve never had that ‘zing’ that other manufacturers have. Was on my carbon Procaliber yesterday and it’s an amazing ride, comfortable and fast but it just doesn’t excite me (FWIW, my favourite bike is my least ‘practical’ bike, rigid 29er SS)

B) That is an ace looking bike

Leerowe76 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:02 am [quote=voodoo_simon post_id=254491 time=<a href="tel:1616360575">1616360575</a> user_id=3402]
Trek Procaliber- the rear end is ridiculously comfortable

Sold my Procal last month & kinda thinking i need a carbon hardtail back in my life for those fast xc days out X_X
[/quote]

I know i will sound like a hypocrite from what I said above but you know what you need to buy :-bd

Below - Yesterday’s ride from the Trig point aboard the Procaliber
Attachments
89EA818F-6C2D-4E50-961A-EF57F02FDABD.jpeg
89EA818F-6C2D-4E50-961A-EF57F02FDABD.jpeg (171.34 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi Shaf,

As you know, I had a highball and sold it.
Two reasons, a bit racy and max tyre at 2.2 with sensible mud clearance left. It was very light, and very stiff. Newest ones are apparently more forgiving.
Third reason (I know, I said two) was that I had another bike doing the same job.

I now have a Carbon Chameleon. Its still light at 1750g (so Ti or slightly lighter may be comparable perhaps) in a large but certainly not Highball light. It clears 29x2.4 no problems on 28mm internal rims. I am told by the internet that its too stiff, but I do not find this to be an issue. It is not as stiff as the older highball, nor as stiff as a newest Karate Monkey.
I find with 2.4s I really like the ride quality. But, in the defence of the internet, it may feel different for my 97kg frame than for a 65kg race whippet.

For SS if that was a concern, the carbon is best limited to a 34t front ring. I have gears on it now but rode it SS in the dead of winter. The slidey dropouts are ok, but not on par with Salsa Alternators.

From what I have read, the Aluminium frame is also very very good. Well designed and nice to ride with a minor weight penalty of about 350g - 600g? weight source (https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... 29-review/) Its also HALF the price of a carbon one. Both are significantly cheaper than a highball and in my opinion more versatile.

There's lots of talk about materials and flex and ride quality and durability etc etc on't web. Its more about correct design for purpose in the chosen material for me.

With regard build quality, after a few frames in recent years with poorer quality of finish the Chameleon was refreshing. Everything as it should be. I haven't had it more than about 700km but so far I really like it.

Both
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:06 pm Hi Shaf,

Two reasons, a bit racy and max tyre at 2.2 with sensible mud clearance left.

Both
Thanks for that Dave. I was hoping you might get chance to input. I've ended up on the finance option with StifMTB. Used the money I'd saved to buy another Sonder as the deposit. I'm confident and happy it'll be a good choice for and I got the CC model :smile:

I did briefly consider the Chameleon but online showed weights of about 1900g in large. Hence why I just stuck with the highball. There is only 1 coming into the country from SC and its a large... and it's been taken by me. A wait of a couple of months in which time I can hopefully pay it all off and try and decide on finishing kit.

tyre size on the CC is being quoted as 2.4 so not sure if they're being a bit 'hairline-gap' about it all. Plus, I don't get why they'd spec it as boost if it only takes 2.4 :???: (if case anyone understands the proper logic behind it?). I assume its to get a good wide rim in there!
FLV

Post by FLV »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Both
Thanks for that Dave. I was hoping you might get chance to input. I've ended up on the finance option with StifMTB. Used the money I'd saved to buy another Sonder as the deposit. I'm confident and happy it'll be a good choice for and I got the CC model :smile:

I did briefly consider the Chameleon but online showed weights of about 1900g in large. Hence why I just stuck with the highball. There is only 1 coming into the country from SC and its a large... and it's been taken by me. A wait of a couple of months in which time I can hopefully pay it all off and try and decide on finishing kit.

tyre size on the CC is being quoted as 2.4 so not sure if they're being a bit 'hairline-gap' about it all. Plus, I don't get why they'd spec it as boost if it only takes 2.4 :???: (if case anyone understands the proper logic behind it?). I assume its to get a good wide rim in there!
Hi Shaf, my comments on tyre clearance refer to a reason I sold the older version. This was 142x12 rather than boost and more limited on tyre clearance. The new one should have more clearance. If I recall correctly manufacturers would have to have a 'standard' amount of clearance at 'design' condition. (IRO 6mm I think but dont quote me on that) So, if they claim 29x2.4 it 'should' be close to that.

Everything I read stated that the frame should be more forgiving than the one I had too, but I've not tried it. I'm sure it will be good and I hope you enjoy it :-bd

Just to note, my 1750g was my large frame, with seat clamp weighed on my own £15 luggage scales :grin:
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:54 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Both

Hi Shaf, my comments on tyre clearance refer to a reason I sold the older version. This was 142x12 rather than boost and more limited on tyre clearance. The new one should have more clearance. If I recall correctly manufacturers would have to have a 'standard' amount of clearance at 'design' condition. (IRO 6mm I think but dont quote me on that) So, if they claim 29x2.4 it 'should' be close to that.

Everything I read stated that the frame should be more forgiving than the one I had too, but I've not tried it. I'm sure it will be good and I hope you enjoy it :-bd

Just to note, my 1750g was my large frame, with seat clamp weighed on my own £15 luggage scales :grin:
Thanks for that Dave... Really looking forward to it (now Stu just needs to issue a date for the bb200 hopefully) as SC is my original dream bike (well, the Superlight which I ended up winning - ebay- and riding and loving). Thankfully I've managed to wait ling enough that the top end hardtail has been properly tuned and fettled. Comes with 3 bottle cages to :grin: (Alhamdulillah)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Shaf - Why are you even buying another new bike ffs! Didn’t you just travel half way across England to buy one :roll:
You need to shake off the n+1 thing and love the bike(s) you have.
That Pinnacle will be a lovely BB200 bicycle. If you ain’t trying to break FKT’s then set up a comfy bike. Tweak the position and ride slow and steady. I’ve done all my ITT like that and it’s tactic that paid off very well. For example 2018 BB200 22hrs, Black Badge. 7th person to finish at a sloth like 8.7km/h (moving average). Done on a 17kg Rohloff equipped Krampus.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

:wink:

Might be on to something there. Almost as if it's not at all to do with the bike.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:21 pm If you ain’t trying to break FKT’s then set up a comfy bike. Tweak the position and ride slow and steady.
This^ 100%
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:21 pm Shaf - Why are you even buying another new bike ffs! Didn’t you just travel half way across England to buy one :roll:
That Pinnacle will be a lovely BB200 bicycle. If you ain’t trying to break FKT’s then set up a comfy bike. Tweak the position and ride slow and steady. I’ve done all my ITT like that and it’s tactic that paid off very well. For example 2018 BB200 22hrs, Black Badge. 7th person to finish at a sloth like 8.7km/h (moving average). Done on a 17kg Rohloff equipped Krampus.
I agreed he is getting dangerously close to being a bike tart.. :mrgreen:
He was faster than me on the climbs, I am not in shape, but the rohloff cube franken bike kept going last time out... Even on only 3 chain ring bolts (don't asks!), now replaced, £5.99 post maintenance, that was an expensive weekend! :mrgreen:
PS I have 2 bikes and the missus has been bleating that to many for years.... :shock:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:33 pm
lune ranger wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:21 pm Shaf - Why are you even buying another new bike ffs! Didn’t you just travel half way across England to buy one :roll:
That Pinnacle will be a lovely BB200 bicycle. If you ain’t trying to break FKT’s then set up a comfy bike. Tweak the position and ride slow and steady.
I agreed he is getting dangerously close to being a bike tart.. :mrgreen:
I retract the Shaf, 'bike tart' sound slightly vulgar and would be a stain on your good characte. I meant to say' Hoarded Bike Collector', (careful how I say that) :grin:
- but I couldn't articulate the correct vocabulary! :oops:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:16 pm cutting edge frame/weight/design
Cutting edge everything including geo:
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en ... m_store=de
The best carbon HT I've ridden in ... ever.
stiff in the right place, compliant in the right place. Super comfy and super fast. Can go really rowdy and do dirty.
That's what I'd buy if I was looking for a modern carbon HT.

https://www.ghost-bikes.com/en/bikes/ha ... /lector-sf
May looks strange (even more so live) but rides lovely. Smart cable routing.

https://www.arc8bicycles.com/framesets/evolve-frameset
Familiar look? Who was first? Rest assured, this is not one of the many relabelled frames.
Competitive price for cutting edge.

Cutting edge everything (except for geo - but that's just me :wink: ):
https://www.stoll-bikes.ch/english/bikes/r1-race/
Not a geo I'd choose, but my crystal ball tells me there's an update in the doing (and guess what direction? Yes, steeper STA, slacker and longer front). Will probably be another year though. On the other hand, you might get a good deal. Very expensive - made by Bike Ahead in Germany. Huuuuge frame triangle. Could fit a very big frame bag.

Then of course, there's Scott Scale.
I just had a quick look and the XT version can be bought for 2200.- CHF at one of the large sport outlets in Switzerland.
Not what I'd want geo wise, but still one of the cuttests edgiest frames out there I guess.

My choice:

1. BMC
2. Arc8
3. Ghost
4. Stoll or Scott

If weight is the single most important factor, Stoll is the way to go. Size M was just a bit above 850 g(!). BMC and Arc8 (both M) were 1040 g and 1020 g, respectively.
lune ranger wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:21 pm You need to shake off the n+1 thing and love the bike(s) you have.
You need to get a Stoll. Get the full susser too whilst you're at it.
Throw away the old (2 months or older) gunk.
n+1 keeps the wheels turning. Hail the bicycle industry!

:lol:
redefined_cycles

Lol... did the breaks on the Pinnacle aftwr my night shift this am. Well, one side of the break. That's the pizza bike Luke... come on!