First Aid Training

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

First Aid Training

Post by slarge »

Learnt a valuable lesson today. Was out for my Sunday morning ride and came across a small group of cyclists - 1 on the floor and the other 3 and a car driver stood around on the phone. Asking if everything was OK / any help one said "go up there and stop the traffic" - then as I went to do that someone else said "he's not breathing". I spoke to a dog walker and told him what was going on and he told me a paramedic lived up the road - and went off to get her.

I went back to the guy on the floor and he really wasn't breathing, but had 3 blokes standing around him not knowing what to do - neither did I so 4 of us being absolutely clueless. I started doing some very rubbish chest massaging until the paramedic arrived and took over - it made me realise what proper "urgency" and CPR looks like. She assessed the situation in around 20 seconds and was doing CPR until the ambulance arrived. The ambulance crew knew her so within 10 seconds had the history, the defib out and PPE on and were getting to work.

It really made me realise how important first aid training is (and regular training at that so that things don't get forgotten). And taking charge of the situation - no one really had a clue what to do except phone 999. One guy was on the phone to the emergency services but the CPR instructions weren't coming through.

Lots of lessons in hindsight - proper training is essential. The 1st Aid phone app on my phone is bugger all use if I have never looked at it before and forgot it was there. Taking charge of the situation and the emergency call is essential to get the advice from the experts. And a clear head (which probably comes from being prepared).

Spent the rest of the ride home thinking how crapily prepared we all were - no knowledge, no organisation, but a strong reminder to get some level of first aid training just in case there is a next time.....

Ride safe people, and get yourselves trained!!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: First Aid Training

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All very true Steve. I can highly recommend anyone / everyone to book themselves a place on a REC 16 hour first aid course. These courses are tailored to an outdoor environment and especially those types of situations where you're possibly miles from help and carrying very little in terms of first aid kit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I did a two day course down in the South West which was excellent. I badly need a refresher to be honest.

This lot, can recommend: https://www.firstaid4life.com/
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I'm lucky in that my first aid training is refreshed every few years due to the industry I work in (electrical engineering; first aid training is mandatory on many sites). This has highlighted to me that it is a perishable skill and even though I've been on some quite in-depth, week long courses, there is always something that I've forgotten when I attend my next refresher.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would just say that not all courses are the same and the REC courses provide training for just the type of situations we might (hopefully not) find ourselves. Very different to your standard HSE type course.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Always worth asking work if they'll put you through a first aid course. The 4-day First Aid at Work course is pretty comprehensive, I've probably had the cert for the thick end of 20 years.

It's rare that it's ever required but it's been handy to have on a few occasions in unexpected circumstances. :-bd
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Sounds like you did great. There was CPR, local help found and a 999 call made. I'm glad you've reflected and decided on seeking more training as it will definitely help. These events happen when you least expect them and going from zero to taking control of a scene is a big ask.

Witnessing and being involved in resuscitation is hard emotionally. A rule of thumb is the event shouldn't be popping into your thoughts after 7 days unless you want it to. Talking helps. I'm a paramedic and if you need a chat or I can help answer any questions you may have please reach out.

Well done today. You make a difference.

Dave
psling

Post by psling »

Terrifying situation to find yourself in without training and can also be just as terrifying with unpractised training!
Agree with Stu, try and get onto an outdoor activities first responder course if possible where you can learn the delights of checking for femural bleeds, dealing with broken collar bones and how to move someone with a potential spinal injury but struggling to breathe. Had first hand experience of that last one after a rider had an OTB landing a jump, came down on the back of his neck and ended up face down in loose earth, initially unconscious and breathing in dirt. Luckily (and surprisingly to me I have to admit) the training kind of took over, almost sub-conciously, and we did OK. He ended up in hospital with broken ribs, a punctured lung and a badly bruised shoulder but no spinal injuries. That was a few years ago but I bump into him now and again at the local cycle centre and he always stands me a coffee 👍
You may not have to use the training much but it is amazing how things become automatic once you have the basics
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, I've done a number of Outdoor First Aid courses over the years - BASP are highly recommended.

If you can get a group of cyclists together to organise one they'll try to match the course to your activities a bit more too. Less emphasis on falling off cliffs perhaps, or making use of the tools and equipment you might have with you (for instance rucksack straps make handy slings). It'll make you think about what you should carry and you get a chance to practice CPR which is, as described above, a lot more brutal than you'll see on TV.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ballibeg wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:03 pm Sounds like you did great. There was CPR, local help found and a 999 call made. I'm glad you've reflected and decided on seeking more training as it will definitely help. These events happen when you least expect them and going from zero to taking control of a scene is a big ask.

Witnessing and being involved in resuscitation is hard emotionally. A rule of thumb is the event shouldn't be popping into your thoughts after 7 days unless you want it to. Talking helps. I'm a paramedic and if you need a chat or I can help answer any questions you may have please reach out.

Dave
+1
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:03 pm
ballibeg wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:03 pm Sounds like you did great. There was CPR, local help found and a 999 call made. I'm glad you've reflected and decided on seeking more training as it will definitely help. These events happen when you least expect them and going from zero to taking control of a scene is a big ask.

Dave
+1
+ another.
Having the courage to act is to be applauded
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thanks all - to be honest I posted this for 2 reasons- one was getting it off my chest, and the other was to encourage people to do a course. The 4-5 people standing around were all 50+. So that’s 250 years of experience between us and we were pretty clueless - my last training was over 20 years ago, and whilst I can remember the basics putting it in to action wasn’t happening. With many of us on here riding alone or in small groups in out of the way places, knowing what to do when there isn’t a phone signal might be useful.

And the more people who get trained the higher the chance of at least 1 person knowing what to do.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Just redid mine this week. https://www.medskillsacademy.co.uk come highly recommended.
I've seen a simple chin tilt save a kids life, as a several adults looked on, trying to work out why he wasn't breathing.