Treespotting

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Treespotting

Post by Verena »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 am
faustus wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 am It's an ex- oak shaf :-bd
That's ace... thanks Faustus. I'll name it now and will try and do better next time.
No, it's "acer"
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Just in case you didn't know, hollow trees are very important bat roosting sites. Though that particular tree is probably a bit too far gone to be as useful as it could be. Have a read of:

https://cdn.bats.org.uk/pdf/Bats-Trees. ... focal=none

I was out for a walk the other day at the Gemenc nature reserve* and one of the info boards quoted counts of up to 600 bats roosting in a single sessile oak (can't remember the species of bat now sadly).

*southern Hungary on the Danube just before it flows into Croatia, where it links up with the Drava/Drau to form iirc a biosphere reserve.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

PeterC wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:35 pm Just in case you didn't know, hollow trees are very important bat roosting sites. Though that particular tree is probably a bit too far gone to be as useful as it could be. Have a read of:

https://cdn.bats.org.uk/pdf/Bats-Trees. ... focal=none

I was out for a walk the other day at the Gemenc nature reserve* and one of the info boards quoted counts of up to 600 bats roosting in a single sessile oak (can't remember the species of bat now sadly).

*southern Hungary on the Danube just before it flows into Croatia, where it links up with the Drava/Drau to form iirc a biosphere reserve.
Thanks for this Peter
redefined_cycles

Todays ride home after work (well, yesterday now) and i realised why the obession with trees maybe. Its what fills the horizon and makes my long commute much more beautiful. Words or pics can't do justice to how amazing they look... But here they are (some of them).

That pic was to share the cyclist who I was gonna overtake. A phenomena that happens only on rare occasion for me. But there's a tree too and it looks kinda nice.

This one's a right corker but sadly the camera didn't pic up the colours properly, sorry.

Shade of light green and really sticking out from everything else.

The hedgehog tree :smile:

A whole army of beauties all hanging around together and keeping each other entertained. Pretty sure they don't look 2 metres apart from what I can see. Might need to report em to our prejudiced/racist PM.

This pic was to show how 'wel-ard' I am after reaching the bridge 12 miles away. But really, twas to show how packing my saddle pack left it looking a bit limp this morning. But there's trees, so I'll take it as a 'treespot' having taken place.

Last but not least. Another fee trees that I have no clue as to what they're called. Lets call em a bunch of Harries...
redefined_cycles

Managed to accumulate a few over the weeks. Not sure what they were, probably birch or oak. All looked lovely though.

[Image]
redefined_cycles

Just now on way home from work and in need of a rest, spotted this beauty. Pretty certain I know what it is too.. a weeping willow ?

Or maybe a couple of weeping willows...