Combined hip/waist and handlebar packs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Combined hip/waist and handlebar packs

Post by benp1 »

Anyone use anything like this and can recommend them?

Had a little look around. There are a few available, from cheap (e.g. Aiguille Alpine but looks like it'll bounce) to expensive. Found one in the US that was north of £150 but out of stock anyway.

There are a few on here - https://bikepacking.com/index/hip-packs ... kepacking/ - but they're mostly normal waist packs.

I like hip/waist/lumbar/bum/fanny bags/packs. My main biking one is a Montane Batpack 6 but I wouldn't mind being able to mount a bag on the bars with the option to wear it when needed. To be used for exploratory/casual rides when the weather improves.

My favourite so far is the Swift Industries Ardea (https://builtbyswift.com/shop/ardea-pack/) but it's not cheap, at all. Any others?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Combined hip/waist and handlebar packs

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can do that with the Acepac bar bags Ben.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

You can do it with the ortlieb accessory pouch too
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are they both designed for it? I’ve just had a look and I can’t see how they do it? Unless you’re bodging on a waist belt somehow?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you want it to be a waist pack first and a bar bag as a secondary function? Would it be possible to mount the Montane one on the bars? Or even sew on some straps/buckles to use it as an accessory pack on the bars?

I think any that are designed as a bar bag first will be compromised as a waist pack.

I managed to mount my Lowe Alpine one on my bars using the compression straps and waist strap.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

You could definitely stitch some webbing straps onto the pack, which would let me use the same pack and would also be cheaper than buying a new one

That does involve being able to sew though...! I don't think the loop/strap set up on the pack would be conducive to it, but I suppose I could give it a go
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mine has 2 vertical straps down the front I could hook over my front loop to take the weight and then I just put the waist strap round the front bag horizontally to hold it in place, just a lucky coincidence it happened to work out that way.

Only did it a few times on very hot days to get more air to my back.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:04 pm Unless you’re bodging on a waist belt somehow?
That's how I sometimes do it when offroad touring and I take my camera along.
If I plan to do some day hiking I mostly use a seatosummit drybag that comes with shoulder straps.
Other great option for multi day hikes during a bikepacking trip is a rucksack you can cinch down easily and use as a bar bag.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

benp1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:04 pm Are they both designed for it? I’ve just had a look and I can’t see how they do it? Unless you’re bodging on a waist belt somehow?
The ortlieb one comes with an extra longer strap to thread through loops on the back that you use as a waist belt. I’ve never used it like that in anger, just tried it on once to see how it worked.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Acepac is as Paul says too ^ ... additional strap than be be attached to form a man bag or bum bag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think I'm viewing this from the wrong direction. My most favouritist hip-pack ever is my Ortlieb but that's due to the fact it has a proper belt - shaped/sculptured, adjustable, wing pockets etc. I regularly wear it for day rides. However, that is all a bit cumbersome for bar mounting.

Having done so, I don't find simpler waist straps adequate for actually riding (any distance) with. Too much bounce, slipping down etc.
jobro

Post by jobro »

Would this Pepo pack from Wizard works be suitable? Seems quite expensive.

https://www.pannier.cc/product/pepo-bik ... -bar-pack/
samwise

Post by samwise »

Not suggesting this is an option to buy as its pretty expensive and outside the UK.....but my partner used this design to make one and it turned out pretty good!

https://www.huuungry.com.au/shop/p/big-lunch-v-20
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The Pepo pack looks good but at that price I'd rather spend a bit more and get the Swift Ardea (also on their website)

Colin's point is similar to mine. I want a comfortable waist pack I can bar mount, rather than a proper bar pack I can waist mount. When it slips and moves around on your waist it's no fun.

I'm going to have a proper play around with voile straps and my main waist pack to see if I can get it to work. It's even got beer holders on it :grin:

PS - that pack above looks decent. Expensive though. Maybe find a local tailor who can stitch a row of webbing onto my pack if I can't mount it easily
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I have a Jaand hip/lumber pack that I used to mount on the bars using a setup similar to the drj0n strapdeck and GFunk system (but not as nice :smile: ). I've not used it like that for a few years but I think I have some pics I can dig out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, if I wanted the option I guess I'd use a couple of Voile straps onto the bars.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Had a little test fit last night and I reckon I can get my waist pack onto my Jones Loops quite nicely with a voile strap and some velcro wrap or similar. Not sure about drop bars yet, one to test another time
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

On the subject of hip packs, do people have issues hurting themselves landing on them? I have an Evoc pack that I use for running, but occasionally if I slip over and land on it, it really hurts. I figure if you land from stacking it, it could really hurt your back / bend your spine in a bad way?