Cairngorms 25th September 2013

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Cairngorms 25th September 2013

Post by ericrobo »

Had a great 3 day ride of the outer loop clockwise, starting from Aviemore... set off the Wednesday morning at 7am in light drizzle. About 7 miles of quiet road before turning off into Abernethy Forest. The gap behind the tree is Eag Mhor
and a bit nearer:

How's this for singletrack !!

and it goes on:

going through Eag Mhor:

crossing the river just before Dorback Lodge was easy:

then 3 miles of easy but rough track to Glen Brown, which is good riding but criss crosses the stream several times:

then about 3 miles of road into Tomintoul, where I saw the first humans in 5 hours ! (and not many too).
From Tomintoul 8 miles of good track (some tarmac) to Linn of Avon. Straight on here to start the undulations of Glen Builg (below)
The singletrack along Loch Builg is good, and interesting, then after the end of the loch, a turn right leads to the flanks of Culardoch, on a newly made track which is a bit ugly and boring (hope it soon beds in):
The climb up Culardoch starts at about 500 metres and starts decending again at 730 metres (summit is 900 metres). Last time I did this a few years back I was unladen and managed to ride it, but this time it was push a bit, ride, recover,push !

Looking west:

then the descent to Invercauld House and Braemar:
Straight through Braemar as it was 4:30pm and going dark soon after 7, and I wanted to reach Geldy Burn, which I did - and camped near the derelict bothy, after 10 hours and 62 miles, and a sore butt, and shoulder giving me gip (through attempting to second Max at Wilton Quarry the weekend before !)...
A cold night and a slight frost in the morning :

Decided not to do the inner loop (woke up with a sore throat, and besides I had done it as a day ride about 6 weeks before), so headed south towards Glen Tilt.
Looking back just before Bynack Lodge:
And Bynack Lodge:
Some good, trick riding from here to where you head east just before Falls of Tarf - BUT don't fall off, it could be serious !

The singletrack is on the left, and the drops are much more serious than is seen here:

Looking south towards the Falls of Tarf:
then descend and cross the river Tilt before a steep push up to get to the other side:
Then it's about 1.5 miles of singletrack, on and off at first until it becomes more rideable, but always with a lot of effort. It's a releif when you finally see Fealar Lodge, and the good track beckoning:
Which goes on for about 6 miles, but there is a climb in the middle... finally you see Dhaldu in the distance:

Turn right there on a good up and down track until heading SE you start climbing (very rideable but I needed several 'recovery' rests ! Great views of Beinn A Ghlo to the right (except it was covered in mist), then some tricky singletrack through the heather (rideable) until you start descending towards the track leading from Shinagag (the route was scrappy here - I was following the gpx route from Self Supported - and you think it must be wrong but it does lead to a good rideable track). Reach the car park at Loch Moraig then 3 miles of descent all the way down to Blair Atholl at 3:30pm... and the worst bowl of chips like cardboard and mushy peas like puke, which I ate smothered with salt and tomato sauce !
Left Blair at 4:30 - need to camp somewhere en route to the Gaick Pass.

The route goes through Old Blair, tarmac, then track, then eventually after 3 miles it takes the old road north which is along side the A9. At Dalnacardoch Lodge it's a relief to get away from traffic noise and back to the world of wind, and streams...
But had to get through the forest first - didn't want to camp in the forest, too dark and gloomy, and most probably midgy, and no water. Emerged from the forest at about 6:30pm, another two miles got me to where the river was, so I got the tent up, ignored the midges, had a brew, and slept !
Another 10 hour day with lots of interesting riding, covered 43 miles.

In the morning, nearly ready to go again:
Heading north on a good track - you finally veer out of the river cleft to go over a bit of a featureless moor (very glad of the gpx route !):
Oh ye of little faith !!
Until Loch an Duin appears out of the mist :
and some neat singletrack, a bit on and off at first then rideable:

Then it's a good track, downhill, to Gaick Lodge and Glen Tromie:

Getting near to Loch an Eilean
and lovely tracks through the trees:

And finally a well earned pint in Aviemore (even though it cost £3.50 !!!):
36 miles of fairly easy riding took 6 hours.

A great trip !
Blackhound

Re: Cairngorms 25th September 2013

Post by Blackhound »

Nice write up and enjoyed the pics. Need do that route, probably next year now.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Superb.

Already on the "to do "list. I do wonder if it would be better anti-clockwise though. :D
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Nice one, must get up that way sometime.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Having ridden the inner loop this year, im eager to do the outer one
Nice pics
2924 miles per Gallon
FLV

Post by FLV »

very nice pics for a nice little trip there. Brought back plenty of memories of the route.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Don't know what it is about the picture of the trees outside Braemar but I recognised them straight away even though it was dark and I had my lights on the one time I've ridden through there. :shock:
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Want to do this ride! :-) Cracking write up, thank you!
As a winter ride, is that idea just daft?!
The noise goes quiet when I'm on my bike :)
FLV

Post by FLV »

I did most of it in december a few years ago.

Be prepared for cold, wet, dark. And be flexible. Otherwise go for it if its not covered in snaw...
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Speaking of Loch an Eilein heres me on my way back heading for the same £3.50 pint :)
:oops: Correction it was actualy Loch Eanaich I just dug the OS map out.