great looking fatbike frame

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

great looking fatbike frame

Post by windjammer »

what are your thoughts on this frame,check out the massive tyre clearence 5.1 inches
https://bicebicycles.com/frames/off-roa ... -fat-bike/
ScotRoutes

Re: great looking fatbike frame

Post by ScotRoutes »

Looks nice but nothing special.

I'm not even sure there is a 5" tyre these days. The Snowshoe XL was always touted as the widest but that's 4.8" now and that's been a "common" size for a while.

No frame/fork lugs for racks and cages which would put many off.

Cost would be interesting.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Looks really good Matt. Think devil in detail though, note the need for specific Q factor cranks (chainstay clearance?) and couldnt easily see the cost? Looks like a custom sizing in Zona (4130?). Bice do some really nice stuff but need see more detail to compare to custom from Stooge etc
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:38 pm Looks nice but nothing special.

I'm not even sure there is a 5" tyre these days. The Snowshoe XL was always touted as the widest but that's 4.8" now and that's been a "common" size for a while.

£1650 with a chris king headset,fully custom any mount,boss possible
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hmm. That's Ti price.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 am Hmm. That's Ti price.
i have a ti fat bike but miss having a big 4.8 jumbo jim in the back
jameso

Post by jameso »

windjammer wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:14 am £1650 with a chris king headset,fully custom any mount,boss possible
Good looking bikes. That's not a bad price for a full custom build from a small company. Zona is basic CrMo, nothing wrong with that at all though I wonder if you'd get more for your money or just something equivalent and closer to home with a Shand, their fat bike looks just as nice, takes a 5" rear tyre and has adaptable Paragon dropouts, well thought-out cable routing etc.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And no import taxes :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

No import duty on EU-made frames either - as long as this frame is more of the cost price than the carbon fork which I assume is from Asia.
gairym

Post by gairym »

windjammer wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 am Hmm. That's Ti price.
i have a ti fat bike but miss having a big 4.8 jumbo jim in the back
I have a ti fatbike and love having a big 4.8" tyre in the back (Bud and Lou every time for me).

https://www.traversbikes.com/bat-fastard.html#

(That's my bike in the snowy photos :-bd )
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ooh that looks nice. Surly quote 5.5" for the latest ICT frame but bud / lou is the biggest tyre available at 4.8 and a bit. Just means lots of clearance, and more is always more when it comes to tyre clearance. Price isn't that far away from an ICT and it looks a fair bit nicer in terms of welds etc, as well as the fancy placcy fork.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

windjammer wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:14 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:38 pm Looks nice but nothing special.

£1650 with a chris king headset,fully custom any mount,boss possible
Or £650 without the chris king headset :lol:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Seems like it'll fit the Snowshoe 2 XL (https://veetireco.com/product/fat-bike-snow-shoe-2xl/). At 5.1, its a mahoosive tyre. I took a few pics of it during the SnowBike Festival in 2017.
Bear in mind this one has a black tyre wall, its friggin huge!
ImageIMG_3495 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
substandard

Post by substandard »

Terrene Johnny 5’s are 5” wide

Vee snow shoes 2xl are 5.05”

Not that I own anything that’ll take much beyond 4”!

Schwalbe are about to release another 4.8” tyre soon
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:48 pm but bud / lou is the biggest tyre available at 4.8 and a bit.
Vee Snowshoe XXL is the biggest tyre available.
It absolutely dwarfs the Bud/Lou, Snowshoe XL, JumboJim and other 4.8" tyres.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

substandard wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:18 pm Terrene Johnny 5’s are 5” wide

Vee snow shoes 2xl are 5.05”

Not that I own anything that’ll take much beyond 4”!

Schwalbe are about to release another 4.8” tyre soon
Beat me to it.

Jonny is comparebly to Bud/Lou.
Snowshoe XXL is the only significantly larger tyre.
Shame it doesn't come with studs.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I absolutely hated the ride feel of the Vee fatbike tyres.

No idea if they've changed anything in the last couple of years but the sidewalls were so flimsy that if I wanted to have any steering or even stay riding in a straight line I needed to run a really high pressure which kind of defeats the purpose.

I found that I ended up with a bigger practical 'footprint' with the Bud/Lou combo run at proper low pressures.

Could be an issue with me being a weightier mammal but I've heard others complaining about the same issues.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

gairy - that sounds like they've tried to keep the weight down and the "natural" place to do that is the sidewalls. The only person I've seen do extensive testing on the Snowshoes is Mike Curiac - he seems to like them for very soft conditions but I don't know what weight he is.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:28 pm Seems like it'll fit the Snowshoe 2 XL (https://veetireco.com/product/fat-bike-snow-shoe-2xl/). At 5.1, its a mahoosive tyre. I took a few pics of it during the SnowBike Festival in 2017.
Bear in mind this one has a black tyre wall, its friggin huge!
ImageIMG_3495 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
That's Andi (yes, not Andy), we get our fatbiking tyres and other gear from the same shop and were invited to the event, since the shop owner had a stand there (mainly for KHS bikes).
gairym wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:31 am I absolutely hated the ride feel of the Vee fatbike tyres.
I've so far ridden the Snowshoe XL, XXL, Bulldozer and Mission and as soon as I rode on harder surfaces, the feel was indeed awkward.

Bud, Barbegazi and JumboJim all felt much more neutral when it came to riding on harder surfaces. But... well... where's the point of riding a fatbike on hard surfaces :wink:
gairym wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:31 am No idea if they've changed anything in the last couple of years but the sidewalls were so flimsy that if I wanted to have any steering or even stay riding in a straight line i needed to run a really high pressure which kind of defeats the purpose.
The Snowshoe XXL is anything but flimsy, probably the sturdiest sidewall of any fatbike tyre I ever came across.

My Snowshoes XL have held up very comparable to Bud/Lou, Jumbo Jim and much better than Barbegazi.
gairym wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:31 am I found thati ended up with a bigger practical 'footprint' with the Bud/Lou combo run at proper low pressures.
Compared to what?
gairym wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:31 am Could be an issue with me being a weightier mammal but I've heard others complaining about the same issues.
I completely agree.

Currently waiting for Vee Snow Avalanche and hopping for less self steering.
I'd love a Bud/Lou with studs...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 am The only person I've seen do extensive testing on the Snowshoes is Mike Curiac - he seems to like them for very soft conditions but I don't know what weight he is.
I know a whole group of riders who have done heaps of rides in varying conditions on a bunch of Vee and CST and others. The only difference to Curiac - they didn't write about it.
My experience with the XXL is limited, but enough to keep me from using it. The conditions I ride in go well with 4.8" and those moment where the 5.1" would be beneficial are just too few to justify riding it. It would be 10 % better of the time and 90 % worse, since it's such a beast.
Also I regularly encounter ice and need studs (and am not going to DIY).
Bedmaker

Post by Bedmaker »

£850 delivered to my door. Full custom 4.8 tyres with as many mounts and whatnot as you fancy.
Just as another option if full custom was something folk are looking for.

I'd love to support a small scale artisan UK builder but I really couldn't justify that sort of cost.

gairym

Post by gairym »

Alpinum wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:44 am
gairym wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:31 am I found thati ended up with a bigger practical 'footprint' with the Bud/Lou combo run at proper low pressures.
Compared to what?
I'm saying that by the time I had the Vee's pumped up to a useable pressure (enough to offset the insane squirm) they were so inflated that I didn't benefit from them being, on paper, a bigger tyre than the Bud/Lou combo.

The opposite in fact.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

That's Andi (yes, not Andy), we get our fatbiking tyres and other gear from the same shop and were invited to the event, since the shop owner had a stand there (mainly for KHS bikes).

Yes, I did speak with him, nice fella. Fat Andy he called himself. Mahoosive tyres
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

gairym wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:21 pm
Compared to what?
I'm saying that by the time I had the Vee's pumped up to a useable pressure (enough to offset the insane squirm) they were so inflated that I didn't benefit from them being, on paper, a bigger tyre than the Bud/Lou combo.

The opposite in fact.
Which Vee tyres Gairy?
Snowshoe XL? Avalanche? Bulldozer, or any other?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

summittoppler wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:37 pm Yes, I did speak with him, nice fella. Fat Andy he called himself. Mahoosive tyres
He rides this beast all year round as pictured.
Currently with a 22/50 as smallest gear.
Bedmaker wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:16 pm £850 delivered to my door. Full custom 4.8 tyres with as many mounts and whatnot as you fancy.
Just as another option if full custom was something folk are looking for.

I'd love to support a small scale artisan UK builder but I really couldn't justify that sort of cost.

Gorgeous looking bike.
:-bd
Waltly frame?
I've one made by them and am very impressed with the quality.