PFD - Yak Xipe or High Back

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

PFD - Yak Xipe or High Back

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just wondering if anyone has used either of these and has any comments? Either my Google-fu is carp or there don't seem to be a lot of reviews.

Generally flat water pottering, maybe a bit of mucking about on rivers, wondering/considering an inflatable raft (NOT a lightweight packrafting, kudos to those that do but strikes me as a palaver, for me it's more than likely car based stuff). Current boats are a bright yellow Inotex double with the kids, an old Perception Arcadia (?) plaggy and an inflatable AE (both the latter seem to foul the back of existing PFD's).

Currently using "cheap" palm PFD (IIRC). Nowt wrong with them but not the comfiest and nae pockets / storage. Do love a flat paddle on the lake and some tunes. If my plans ever come to fruition there might be some sea-yak stuff, pandemic permitting.

Xipe:

High Back:

Neither cheap but what price safety :wink: Although saying that they seem to be at the slightly more affordable end of the "performance" gear by some of the bigger / popular / cooler (?) brands. I am not cool :lol:

Feel free to go off tangent to these, really just mooching. Not like it'll get used for a while yet :|
ScotRoutes

Re: PFD - Yak Xipe or High Back

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've been thinking of a high-back too, for Packrafting on moving/coastal water. I have an inflatable Baltic lifejacket/gilet for calm waters that is much lighter and easier to pack/carry.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a High Back. Can't really fault it but I've nothing to really compare it to. It's comfy, doesn't get in the way of my manly paddling stroke and I'm sure would help prevent me drowning ... or at least delay it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I had the older version of the XIPE for a long time and I was really happy with it. The two front pockets are great for items that you want to keep readily accessible (camera and snacks in my case) and I kept a basic emergency ditch kit in the back pocket in case I was separated from my canoe. I was possibly using mine in a different context though as I used to (and hope to again soon) go on solo trips to some quite remote Scottish lochs and rivers.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Jason at Tirio has some new lightweight (650g) Astral touring and whitewater PDFs. Might meet needs and selected for rafting... stock arrived recently.
https://www.packraftadventure.co.uk/buoyancy-aids
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Excellent. I've been waiting for someone UK to start stocking Astral. I think a V-eight might be just the job.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:10 pm Excellent. I've been waiting for someone UK to start stocking Astral. I think a V-eight might be just the job.
I think I have my name on one too :-)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've had an Astral Sea Wolf (now replaced by the C-Wolf) for a few years. It's basically an open water/sea kayak version of the Green Jacket WW PFD. It was a bit pricey but it's very good with loads of pockets and nice features and I use it for paddling my open boat, sea kayak and in my sailing canoe. I've tended not to use it while packrafting as it's quite bulky to pack (although it doesn't feel bulky while paddling). In my experience more expensive PFDs are like expensive helmets, they have more features but don't really provide any more protection than a basic model.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Jurassic wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:18 pm I've had an Astral Sea Wolf (now replaced by the C-Wolf) for a few years
Same here. Love mine, but it's bit much for packrafting (especially when there's a fair amount of the trip outside the water, yet I'm still sticking with it, dangling it from the rucksack when not on the water. Despite all its functions, mine weighs only about 800 g.

I fancy a lighter PFD with a high back for packrafting duties and have been looking into very similar options like those mentioned.

Not a high back but very light is the Palm Quest. Should be a great PFD for packrafting.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

99percentchimp wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:57 pm Jason at Tirio has some new lightweight (650g) Astral touring and whitewater PDFs. Might meet needs and selected for rafting... stock arrived recently.
See, the price of those seems to be rather a leap (£100+) from the Yak stuff (c£60 or £70, model dependant). So is it really a case of this:
In my experience more expensive PFDs are like expensive helmets, they have more features but don't really provide any more protection than a basic model.
... or that Yak are just a manufacturer at the "Lomo" (functional, value) end of the price point, or something else?

I'm pretty ignorant about kayaking gear other than having formed the general impression that it's a bit steep price-wise, particularly if you want something suited to saltwater ;-) So just curious, really.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 am
99percentchimp wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:57 pm Jason at Tirio has some new lightweight (650g) Astral touring and whitewater PDFs. Might meet needs and selected for rafting... stock arrived recently.
See, the price of those seems to be rather a leap (£100+) from the Yak stuff (c£60 or £70, model dependant). So is it really a case of this:
In my experience more expensive PFDs are like expensive helmets, they have more features but don't really provide any more protection than a basic model.
... or that Yak are just a manufacturer at the "Lomo" (functional, value) end of the price point, or something else?

I'm pretty ignorant about kayaking gear other than having formed the general impression that it's a bit steep price-wise, particularly if you want something suited to saltwater ;-) So just curious, really.
Yes as long as it is EN or ISO certified it will be tested to the same standard irrespective of price point. The only other variable is how many Newtons of buoyancy it provides (the bigger you are, the more buoyancy you require). WW PFDs will have more webbing built in to them to support WW rescue equipment and techniques whereas touring or sea kayaking PFDs tend not to have that and may have more pockets or hydration bladders etc instead. I've not seen a PFD for sale in the UK that isn't certified (maybe they are out there but any self respecting watersports shop will only sell certified stuff). HTH.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Went for the Highback. Seems well made and comfy (in the house, not used yet).

Also picked up a natty set of fleece lined shorts / 3/4s by Peak. Curiosity purchase really to see whether they're much comfier than my usually board shorts.

Good service and prices from Escape Watersports.