camper van bike storage ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

camper van bike storage ?

Post by ton »

i will be purchasing a camper van or a van to convert in the next couple of month.
looked at a few, they seem full of loads of stuff we dont want, like toilets, sink, cooker. they do seem to have a distinct lack of things i find i need, like bike storage.

just wondering if anyone on here has a camper van, that is as basic.
my needs are a captains chair for the passenger, a comfy sofa type chair / bench that folds down to make a full size bed.
some storage for clothes / essentials.

anyone ?
benp1

Re: camper van bike storage ?

Post by benp1 »

Very much depends on what size van, Ton

if it's T6 size, you won't get a double bed and a bike without a serious amount gymnastics

if it's bigger, Crafter/full size Transit, then that would work pretty well. The garage is inside, or a bike mount inside, and then you customise away
ton

Post by ton »

it will be a transit or similar. i dont lust after a transporter or owt flash.

i was thinking of a bulkhead placed 2 ft in from the back doors. with one bike stood on the floor, and my wife's smaller bike on a rack above. so the bikes are in their own garage type thing. other bike stuff will go in there too.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

transits have changed names now. the normal panel van is called a transit custom, that's transporter size. the bigger one is called a transit, that's crafter size

you'll need a LWB model if you want them inside and want a transit custom size van, it can work OK, particularly if you don't want anything except captains chairs and a bed. you can get a medium top transit custom as well, that might help if you don't want a pop top

As you're a big lad you'll want a full width rock n roll bed (e.g. a RIB) and then one long enough to fit you. Some are only normal double bed length so your feet will be hanging out the end
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi,

Have a look at 'race van' type conversions. These seem to be a little more basic.

https://convertyourvan.co.uk/race-vans/

That link has some examples
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I had a long wheelbase T5 transporter, I fitted a rock and roll double seat in the back. Folds down to a double bed. Sits on runners so it can go all the way to the back or the front, making room for a couple of bikes or even a motorbike.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

my bikes went on a full length roof rack. I carried a telescopic ladder and locked them to the rack. The paintwork on the bikes did get a bit abused though and it kind of felt like an accident waiting to happen but mine is a smaller van that only just fits a double bed in. It also has a ramp so I cant have a tow bar so there wasn't a lot of options.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

If you aren't after a hotel room on wheels then something like the Stitches and Steel conversion might appeal:

https://stitchesandsteel.com/pages/the-conversion

They have a couple of ready to go vans on ebay, will convert a van you buy or they can find one for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Transport ... 890.l49292

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Transport ... 890.l49292
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

I've converted a few over the years. My old T5 initially had a home made wooden framed bed (worked as a sofa when upright) that was designed to have enough space underneath for a white water kayak or two mountain bikes. Was good but couldn't carry passengers in the back. Also a bit close tot he ceiling when sleeping leading to a few bumped heads.. Upgraded to a proper rock n roll bed but bikes had to go on a rear rack.

Current van is a Ford Custom L2 (only slightly longer than the short wheel base but makes a lot of difference inside). It has an Autobeds pull tested rock and roll bed that folds back rather than forwards. This leaves a huge garage area at the back in normal use, and the bikes generally get locked underneath overnight. I also have a towball mounted carrier which slides to allow the barn doors to open. Obviously not as secure as having the bikes inside, but pretty convenient and keeps the mud outside.

Captains chairs are easy if you only need two seat up front. Swivels are available for most double seats if you hunt around but they're all a bit rubbish and hard to use.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

As above, have a look at race vans.
Generally have a fixed bed at the back of the van, but raised up. Underneath would be a "garage" where you could put your bikes - accessed through the backdoors. Handy since it keeps the dirty stuff (mud/oil/wet clothes) out of your living area.

I ended up going with a more normal caravan style one - that had a kitchen and bathroom in the back where the garage would go. I got a great deal on a van during lockdown and had had to reduce my budget as lost my job.

I just have a bike rack on the back of the van. However, I can run a heavy duty Almax chain around some bull bars that are solidly attached to the chassis if I need to leave the bikes on the back of the van. They can go in the van (wheels off and in a 1 ton bag), but not while I was sleeping in there.

I do worry a little bit about it, but I have found I rarely lave the bikes alone for long on the back. There's also no way someone would get the bikes off the back while I was sleeping in the van. Also, in a way, having the chain on is pretty secure. I keep a tarp over the bikes too. Some folks get their bikes nicked from in their vans, where I'm assuming they're not locked to anything?