Bearbones Bookclub - On the Red Hill

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

javatime

Bearbones Bookclub - On the Red Hill

Post by javatime »

Pleased that this has just come through on a library reservation - another good book by Mike Parker (Map Addict)

Just over the hill from BBHQ, many of us have probably cycled past the ox eye daisies outside Rhiw Goch on that 90 degree bend just before Tal-y-Wern.

The twitter promo film clip doesn't really do full justice, the review below is more comprehensive as the book goes beyond the story of George and Reg to cover the local landscape that we may have cycled through. Also there is more detail on history, nature and a specific record of changes during the year (and George re-found the vigour of his youth through cycling!)

https://twitter.com/WindmillBooks/statu ... 7296865281

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... ker-review
techno

Re: Bearbones Bookclub - On the Red Hill

Post by techno »

That sounds fantastic, thanks.

I'd submit Nan shepherd - the living mountain her beautiful and physical description of the Cairngorms always makes me want to head somewhere wild.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/ ... erd-review
javatime

Post by javatime »

So, no other readers of "On the Red Hill" - I finished it last night, really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who has pedalled around Wales.

I liked the mix of personal and bigger world histories, the geography and familiar places and landscapes and the connection of it all through the house.

I think next up will be :

Real Powys : A psychogeography of Wales's 'empty quarter' !!
javatime

Post by javatime »

There didn't seem to be much interest in the book from my first post way back - but I recently stumbled on this short film which includes some familiar landscapes of Mid Wales.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/rhi ... e-red-hill

I would also recommend Mike Parker's first book Map Addict.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

techno wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 pm That sounds fantastic, thanks.

I'd submit Nan shepherd - the living mountain her beautiful and physical description of the Cairngorms always makes me want to head somewhere wild.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/ ... erd-review
Just read the Guardian review and the quote in that is beautiful, I'm getting this book. Thanks for pointing it out.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

javatime wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 am I would also recommend Mike Parker's first book Map Addict.
I've read that, quite enjoyed it.

The Living Mountain has been on my list for a while, should really go buy a copy.
JackT

Post by JackT »

It's a lovely book, am part way through. Here's George, having "re-found the vigour of his youth through cycling". Some boner merch potential here, I'd have thought.
redgeorge.jpg
redgeorge.jpg (124.16 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

JackT wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:01 pm It's a lovely book, am part way through. Here's George, having "re-found the vigour of his youth through cycling". Some boner potential here, I'd have thought. redgeorge.jpg
:shock:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Brings back memories of Stu in his rubber ring :???:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Thanks for recommending, I just finished it having bought it after seeing this thread.

A cracking read, I’m always impressed at the way some authors delve into their own character traits. Food for thought sometimes.
JackT wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:01 pm It's a lovely book, am part way through. Here's George, having "re-found the vigour of his youth through cycling". Some boner merch potential here, I'd have thought. redgeorge.jpg
Is there a story behind the colour photos Jack? The photos in the book are fantastic, I’m sure even more so in colour.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.