Recommend a saddle bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rapideye

Recommend a saddle bag

Post by Rapideye »

As well as my post on a sleeping mat, I'm also after your expertise on a saddle bag. I have done a fair bit of digging and there are some really nice but more expensive options. I guess the decision to make is around how much I want to pay for a 1st bag. I don't mind spending on quality but I'm also aware of the fact that I'm new to this. So, with that in mind, what are the better options? Any decent mid-range options that a reliable, waterproof and stable?

I'll be starting with overnights and will work up from there. I would imagine going for 2-3 nights will be realistic for me, although I have plans for a longer trip or two in a year. I'm therefore thinking I don't need a massive bag, maybe 10l-ish? Is it better to go for a higher capacity and leave room? I'm assuming bags can be reduced down if not completely filled?

I'm also likely to eventually go for a handlebar bag or dry bag on the front, as I start to need more capacity, and then a bar bag. First things first, they can wait.

Again, any help is appreciated.
mattpage

Re: Recommend a saddle bag

Post by mattpage »

Ortlieb or Wildcat both very good for premium options. Miss Grape good too.
I've tested lots and do far those stand out so far.

As for size, go bigger and if you think 9 is enough, go up a size. If you don't need it all, you can close the bag up.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I really like my Revelate Viscacha but would also give a thumbs up for the ortlieb.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A harness system will allow you to chop and change capacity easily, so worth considering.

Matt says he likes the Ortlieb but I couldn't get on with it. It was just too big and appeared to have an inbuilt hinge in the centre. Maybe they've altered the design since I tested one?
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I think they’re on the 3rd iteration now, albeit with minor tweaks. I’ve got the first gen and the only issue I’ve had with it is that I regularly have to tighten the orange straps to stop it sagging onto the front wheel. The recent long term review on advntr.cc was interesting - she solved the same issue by crossing the main straps instead of in parallel and using an extra voile strap as extra support. It actually feels better on a drop bar bike where you can’t put as much in because you have to fit it between the bars / brake levers

Edit: disregard, I was thinking about the bar bag, not the seat pack.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:54 am A harness system will allow you to chop and change capacity easily, so worth considering.

Matt says he likes the Ortlieb but I couldn't get on with it. It was just too big and appeared to have an inbuilt hinge in the centre. Maybe they've altered the design since I tested one?
I have this hinge issue too on same pack. But it only manifests when forced into carrying heavier loads farther back... Soft goods packed tightly and well dont seem to be as much an issue...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:36 am I think they’re on the 3rd iteration now, albeit with minor tweaks. I’ve got the first gen and the only issue I’ve had with it is that I regularly have to tighten the orange straps to stop it sagging onto the front wheel. The recent long term review on advntr.cc was interesting - she solved the same issue by crossing the main straps instead of in parallel and using an extra voile strap as extra support. It actually feels better on a drop bar bike where you can’t put as much in because you have to fit it between the bars / brake levers

Edit: disregard, I was thinking about the bar bag, not the seat pack.
It is valid. I solved the sag issue by crossing the straps on my seat pack. No amount of repacking could solve it after 5 days of riding. The down side was that this caused a clip to snap a few days later. I can’t recommend the Ortilieb as a result and I think mine has been tested harder than many.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Harness with a removal dry bag as its makes it easier to pack [ you are not redoing straps to the bike just retightening them and you also get to empty it in the dry/inside your tent.
As for what is the best at this I dont know I got a blackburn one cheap second hand and its worked so well I have never replaced it
I do agree with get big - you dont need to fill it
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm very tempted by the new Revelate bag. It seems to offer the QR nature of a harness but it requires a part to be fitted to the saddle and I use too many different bikes to be bothered moving it about.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Actually on the actual subject of seat bag, I really like my wildcat harness, just loosen the straps and take the dry bag out at the end of the day and just empty it out in the dry. I've tried a friends apidura bag as well because it had a bit more capacity than the wildcat but apart from the handy webbing on top it wasn't as convenient to use.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Ok thanks everybody. I like the harness idea and have had a look around at Wildcat and Acepack. Where else should I look? I like the flexibility of the items, different sizes, replace one item instead of the whole lot. That makes complete sense.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Rapideye wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:29 am . Where else should I look?
Quite possibly, here https://www.cyclingabout.com/complete-l ... facturers/

Also, if you wait patiently at some point someone will break and forfe themselves to sell some of their gear. I'm holding out for a frame bag with that very method...

In the meanwhile, if you wanted one of the above mentioned Ortlieb 17L saddlepacks then I have one that I could sell on for £55 plus postage (needs must). :smile:

Regards the buckles braking (breaking), I had that happened at the very start and got a replacement. I since learnt to hold everything taut whilst tightening the strap and then release the pressure onto the buckle/whatsitcalled (plus, spares are available :smile: ).

Welcome to the forum (in case I forgot to say earlier). Lovely place to be..
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:54 am A harness system will allow you to chop and change capacity easily, so worth considering.

They have several sizes now and I've not had issues with any hinge. This was the 2020 bag, so it may well be different.
I really like the air valves on them as it makes packing much easier.

The tapered separate bag of the Wildcat is also very convenient to pack.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I can't praise ace pac harness enough. Happy to say when something is sub standard and they're are great. Done about 20 days with mine last year and anyone I ride with always say "I can't get over how solid your setup is".

Also their dry bags, kinda had a moment in Fisherfield and fully submerged them. My undrybagged sleeping bag etc all stayed bone dry.

That's my 10p.

Buy them from the shop here though. Good luck with your search