Family holiday ideas - Scotland, kids, coast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Family holiday ideas - Scotland, kids, coast

Post by boxelder »

I know a fair bit of Scotland and would gladly spend time just about anywhere, but I'm trying to find a family holiday location for kids of 17 (son), 14 and 11 (daughters). They love beaches etc, paddle boarding and are usually happy walking, but also like to think they've had some holiday fun i.e. spending money on stuff, mooching around shops once in a while. I'm looking at Argyll (I've not really been and fancy seeing Dunadd and some other historical bits), Oban, maybe the Great Glen somewhere. Maybe Inverness area, or a few days in a couple of these. Self catering. Anyone provide any inspiration? Save me from the drive to Devon/Cornwall.............(Keswick based).
We went to Glen Elg last July and Kingussie in October.
Moder-dye

Re: Family holiday ideas - Scotland, kids, coast

Post by Moder-dye »

East Neuk of Fife is pretty nice and not far across to Dundee or St Andrews for some shops and cultural stuff? We've stayed near Anstruther and Elie. Some great coast and a coastal 'chain walk' for some mild excitement.

Also the Banff coast , Spey bay to Buckie with the amazing Portsoy ice cream shop :-bd

But I'm probably way off the mark!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

No, these are the sort of suggestions I'm after. Ta.
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

Inverness is a good largish town for spending a day or two in. Aviemore, 30 miles south for the Cairngorms and outdoor sports. Also its at the head of the Great Glen if you fancy a trip to see Nessie. The west coast and Skye is a 2 hour drive away and just north of Inverness is the Black Isle with nice beaches and dolphins. Also getting to Inverness you would go the classic route through Glencoe and up the Great Glen
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Would definitely agree with Argyll but living here I suppose I have to. :grin:

Oban is a good base and can easily jump on the ferry to mull and see some of the island. Dunadd is a day with all the associated bits around it but also some nice walks around there.

If you need any help with places or things to do fire me a message.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

If you don't want to travel too far, the area around Loch Ken is really nice. There's an adventure centre on the loch, mountain biking nearby, hillwalking and nice beaches. It seems odd looking back at the Cumbrian coast and fells too, and trying to put names to things from a weird angle.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moray Coast would be ideal. Beaches aplenty, a couple of decent sized towns, inland/coastal walks. Somewhere near Nairn? You're not far from Inverness/Black Isle/Aviemore. You get to see RAF Typhoons most days too :-)
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:50 pm Moray Coast would be ideal. Beaches aplenty, a couple of decent sized towns, inland/coastal walks. Somewhere near Nairn? You're not far from Inverness/Black Isle/Aviemore. You get to see RAF Typhoons most days too :-)
Much as I too am biased towards Argyll, I reckon Scotroutes might be onto something here. Dolphin watching at Rosemarkie fairly close by and Aviemore for some mountains too if you fancied a multi-centred holiday (plus the climate tends to be a lot drier than Argyll as well).
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Thanks all. Plenty of ideas there. @thecumbrian - we know Galloway well as folks have a cottage/chalet/but near Kippford. We've a week booked there too. Will look to split between Argyll and east coast I think :-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I really like the Angus coast - Arbroath and up towards Lunan Bay etc. great beaches, nice walks, good cliffs at Arbroath for paddelboarding around. Easy enough to get to Dundee or Aberdeen for a city, and you can get into the Cairngorms for a hillwalk too
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

There are some great tips on here, I might just subject my kids to a Scottish holiday this year. I'm sure that I'll enjoy it...
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

You are all assuming that Queen Nicola will let you come across the border of course! 😆 Dawg knows when I'll be allowed down south to visit my 84 year old dad in Yorkshire. 😔
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

So, will take all the tips and ideas for future reference, but booked a ferry to Santander for some Pyrenean shenanigans. Son's 17 and keen for uplift MTB (you gotta do what your kids want sometimes 😃). I suspect travel to Spain/France will open before Scotland.....
Cheers all.