Reynaulds sufferers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Reynaulds sufferers

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Apologies if this has already been covered but tried a search and couldn’t find anything.

I seem to have developed reynaulds in the last few years which is getting progressively worse, now at the stage where even with giro winter gloves and merino liners on I get pain in my hands bad enough to stop me from riding.

I wondered if any fellow sufferers had found any modern gloves warm enough to prevent the pain - I’ve tried several pairs now but with no success. Thanks
voodoo_simon

Re: Reynaulds sufferers

Post by voodoo_simon »

Flat bars? Pogies work wonders

I’ve got hot pogs Arctic ones, in terms of warmth, brilliant, in terms of fit, I reckon there’s better on the market
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've hotpogs as well and echo Simon, they do the job but they have a mind of their own moving around on the bars.

I've fitted some usb powered heatpads on the tandem for my 7 year old stoker. Only a fiver (plus whatever usb battery pack you use).

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B6PMPX ... UTF8&psc=1

The supplier i bought mine from is out of stock and these were the first I found, shop around, they can be had a lot cheaper!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 am I've hotpogs as well and echo Simon, they do the job but they have a mind of their own moving around on the bars.

I've fitted some usb powered heatpads on the tandem for my 7 year old stoker. Only a fiver (plus whatever usb battery pack you use).

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B6PMPX ... UTF8&psc=1

The supplier i bought mine from is out of stock and these were the first I found, shop around, they can be had a lot cheaper!
How did you fit these? Straight onto the bar and then road tape over or straight onto the grips?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:26 am
How did you fit these? Straight onto the bar and then road tape over or straight onto the grips?
I'd just fitted fresh tape so they are on top. I might be tempted to try underneath if adding fresh tape, but the tape might trap the heat too well and if they stopped working you'd be stuck! I have just held them on with elastic bands and put a pair of old socks over the top! They work a treat, haven't tested how long they last but a 5000mAh keeps going for at least an hour!
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check out these pads.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would also recommend pogies. I can't really recall anyone trying them and then not continuing to use them. In my mind, they really are a game changer.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Fellow sufferer here and can highly recommend pogies. I have tried so many different gloves and even heated glove but all were rubbish on longer rides but pogies have been incredible.

I bought the cheapest pair of pogies I could find just to try and see no need to spend more just yet.
Was out today and cycled 40km and temp with windchill was -5 but thin pair of gloves and pogies was more that upto the job.

Feet are still an issue as can’t find any shoes that tick everything I’m looking for that aren’t really expensive or last few months. Need one pair of shoes for the full year but doubt I will find anything. Next to try is overshoes to see if they help.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thanks all.

Keith - I have found a solution with Scott gore tex winter boots and Crikey, how much winter socks. Hands are always way worse than feet though.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I also suffer, I think (after years of walking around saying "my hands are always cold, got crap circulation me" someone told me about Reynauld's and it was a bit of a lightbulb moment - not that having a name for it makes a blind bit of difference)/

I also have pogies (got the Alpkit ones as a present, though if I was buying myself would probably go Hotpogs, unless I was feeling very flush, and then would maybe look at 45nrth and the like). They're great, but I haven't found them a magic bullet for me. I used them out the other morning with some thin-ish gloves and one of those reusable phase change heat packs in each, and my hands were numb after an hour's ride. The next day I tried them with some more substantial gloves - still numb hands :shock:

In fairness, I'm not sure mind are the best design - I've modified them a bit to stay more rigid and attach to the bars and they're still not perfect. I think wind getting through the bar opening due to the brake lever is also an issue. I guess what I'm saying is choose your pogies carefully and use them carefully and they should help you quite a bit.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Hot pogs are great but it's a pain having to constantly pull them back up all the time. (With stubby Ergons) They are the only thing that work for me though.

I've gone flat pedals this year with the same Shimano boots (were SPD before) and it makes a big difference. Thin socks as liners then wool rich hiking socks. Toasty.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I don't have Reynaulds but do have cold extremeties on rides.

My favoured gloves are Gore Therma and they still manage to be quite minimal to give some feel. Beyond that I had some Sportful Fiandre deep winter gloves that were warm but also bulky.

I've heard that Dissent 133 ultimate are good, which are 4 gloves used in combo. No personal experience though.

But I'd echo what others have said, especially if you've got gloves that are rated as good and they are cold when it's also dry. Cold & wet is a little different and harder to get through.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Hi.
I have a small amount of frostbite damage on some fingers. Pogies all the way. Carbon bars not alloy. Think about your grips, silicone foam ones inuslate better. Softshell gloves are fine for me inside the pogies at -18C.
Feet, bigger than normal shoes, size up socks if layering. Beware of neoprene as sweat build up can make your feet cold. Make sure lower leg is well insulated, long knee length socks, windproof longs. Metal pedals are heat sinks, so if you ride flats use composite pedals.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thanks. Carbon bars is an interesting suggestion- not thought of that before but obviously makes complete sense.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I’ve got the furry Hotpogs. They’re pretty good. I made a hole in the sides & pushed through some hope bar end plugs which keeps them in place nicely.