Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Really?

Post by lune ranger »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:29 am :-bd
Finally some adress the whole picture.

I've stated this many times before and here I go again:
Since Jetboil is so fuel efficient, the system (incl. fuel) could be lighter than any other under certain circumstances. I have a stripped down first generation Jetboil and it is very fuel efficient. Gas is also much more fuel dense than meths.

Do the maths for a trip where you want to boil 20 L at above freezing (about 10 day solo trip in cool climate in my case). It will also work with shorter trips of 5 days if you require 2 L/day, or 10 days at 1 L; there are a few option in real life, where an efficient gas stove wins, despite the canister weight.
If you never go on a self reliant trip of such duration, don't bother. If you do and you're a weight weenie (which you all clearly are), do the maths with your numbers (experience from outdoor use of your various stoves obviously), add in their main target group (backpacking trips in North America of a weeks duration?) and find, that there is some truth in what seems a bold statement from Jetboil.

Only other lighter stove system would be making a fire, which comes with many other downsides.

These facts don't become false, just because I think this is not what they meant with their claim.

And lets no forget, that at the beginning of a trip your total weight is heaviest (food, fuel and other consumables) and likely the point, were you want to keep your total weight as low as possible. Towards the end of the trip, when food and fuel are less, you don't have to worry about the weight of the empty canister.

So... in my opinion:
Jetboil 1, Bearbones 0

Or to answer the thread title:
Yes, really.

:wink:
Doesn’t a pressurised petrol/white gas stove win in this situation - I mean over extended trips. Especially if used with a heat exchanger and wind shield.
An MSR Simmerlite is only 240g (stove/pump) and burns a 1000ml fuel over a about 235 minutes. Considering you can boil 500ml of water in 2 minutes you can easily get 2 weeks of cooking for 1 or 2 people out of that amount of fuel. Solo I’ve done almost 4 weeks.
With butane you are carrying a lot of metal in the form of the fuel cans and the can looses efficiency as it empties. A pressurised petrol stove if kept clean never drops efficiency and you can carry large amounts of fuel in light containers eg. pop bottles.
As far as I’ve ever seen most long wilderness expeditions go with something like an MSR petrol stove rather than gas. It’s certainly been my choice in the past and it would be in future even if I’ve switched to a tiny meths stove for trips of a few days.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Joe's titanium mugs are 96g + 71g for a Ti woodstove = 167g.

Packs down a lot smaller too.

200g for a cook system like the jeboil is pretty good, but they aren't counting gas as well presumably.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

200g for a cook system like the jeboil
If this was actually like a jetboil and an intergrated system, I'd agree. And no, they're not including the 200g weight of a full 100g canister.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

In Jetboil's own promo video they are making the " lightest" claim .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUv-uFz ... e=emb_logo

In Bikepackpacking.com announcement it says the 200g does not include the canister stabilising feet.

The disadvantage of any integrated system is that when any one part becomes lost, worn out or damaged the whole lot becomes junk .
RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:29 pm In Jetboil's own promo video they are making the " lightest" claim .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUv-uFz ... e=emb_logo
Sigh, you're right. So it IS their bad after all then.

What do I care anyway, 8g stove + 400ml + fuel = < 100g.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:51 pm
Surely you must be terrified about the extra weight and the sink hole in your access track
I only go as far as the hole before brewing up. :-bd
Chuffin landed gentry and their ginormous estates :roll: :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Okay, you win Stu.

It's marketing bs.

More later...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

What do I care anyway, 8g stove + 400ml + fuel = < 100g.
What Reg says. I've the same set, though I don't use it often as I am normally looking for more than a cuppa when I set things to boil. And I'm a complete messer and can't help peeking under the hood to check the boil which regularly results in a spill. Pfft.

As far as Jetboils claims on the longer term trips, I'd quite happily pit my Stormin Normin set against it over a longer term trip (not that I do these things anymore, leaving that to the younger folk.) even with having to carry a bit of meths.

But it aint gonna happen. And I dont care anyway. Just sayin' ..

And, as an aside, Paul Messner, aka a great bloke with no pretensions and truly honest reviews of kits, does rate the new thingy. I like him.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And, as an aside, Paul Messner, aka a great bloke with no pretensions and truly honest reviews of kits, does rate the new thingy. I like him.
What is it he likes about it Tim? Genuine question, as it looks very similar to any other sit on top stove and pan.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 pm
What is it he likes about it Tim? Genuine question, as it looks very similar to any other sit on top stove and pan.
At a (totally unresearched) guess I would say the 'sit-in' stability of the pan and the heat-exchanger thingy [technical term] on the pan are good points.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm post_id=249264 wrote: Sorry Gian but you've added an awful lot of caveats to that, which I'm afraid still don't alter the fact that the statement 'the lightest stove system ever made' is wrong and misleading. They didn't say, this is the lightest system 'if' and 'but'. :wink:
I agree, an awful lot of caveats for you, but others often go on longer trips than just a few days, were the Jetboil is likely going to offer the lighter kitchen then you beloved meths, which is the point I'm trying to make.
You suggested that going with eg. the meths stove option, you can reduce weight even further, which is as misleading as the Jetboil ad.

I know you're not a North American backpacker (as all or almost all on here) and thus don't fit into the main target group, nor do I, yet I believe I'm much closer to it and this different view point seems interesting as it makes the claim 'more realistic'. But more on that later.

Real weights from Gearjunkie's review:
Here’s the weight breakdown by component:

Titanium burner: 2.1 oz.0.8L aluminum pot: 4.5 oz. (5 oz. with lid)Fuel canister stand: 1 oz.

Stove: 59.5 g
Pot: 127.6 g
Lid: 14.2 g
Stand: 28.3  g

201.3 g for the Jetboil Stash w/o stand.
I was wrong when I guessed that the stands were included and the lid (alu) is already quite light. When I had a glance at the Jetboil, I mistook the lid for being plastic. Not much to be done, 201 g, no way it can be cut down to 150 g, which makes the margin to be the lightest option very, very small and realistic only for long self-sufficient trips, very unusually long for backpacking.

My gas 'system' with a 39 g gas stove, similar sized Toaks ti pot (0.7 L, 115 mm diam, so the flame has more catch) and lid:

Stove: 39 g
Pot: 62 g
Lid: 25 g

126 g for my system. Sometimes I use a selfmade alu lid, which drops another 21 g, but sincw this could be done to the Jetboil, I leave it as is. So, I get...

75 g difference.

I agree Stu, with a 100 g or 200 g canister, the difference of fuel efficiency isn't high enough – well not in my case I'm quite sure.
I've not tested the Jetboil Stash, but the first gen Jetboil (I have a stripped down version of it – since 2004, thanks to a fun party at the "European Outdoor" exhibition) is about 20 % more efficient compared to my setup. I'd have to be on a 35 day solo trip in warm climate or 17.5 d trip in cool climate to get to the same initial weight. Since eg 'my' (example of) North American backpacker very, very rarely goes self-sufficient trips of such duration and the weight will be equal (anyhow, a 400 g canister would be needed), the claim indeed seems like marketing bs.

Just as much bs as saying that meths stove is lighter. Hands up, who has done it?
:lol:
Asposium post_id=249266 wrote: To be fair, I don’t see the stash as a stove system.
Merely an open burner stove with a pan.
I consider all my stoves and pans and windshield as a system, since I use them together and since I want them to work well together. In an extreme case I've modified a XGK II stove and made a tight windshield for a special pot et voilà, 40 % more fuel effective(!), fantastic for really long trips or shorter trip in winter, when the only water I have access to is in solid form. Bot pot and stove will work in different combinations, just less effective (albeit perhaps better for short trips since lighter). Same goes for the Jetboil, it's not going to explode if you use it with other pots or the pot with another stove.
Asposium post_id=249265 wrote: I’m sold on the windburner.
Yes, it’s bigger and heavier than the standard stove.
But
So much more gas efficient.
As said above, burn time equals gas.
Gas equals weight.
Exactly, a heavier stove system can actually lead to a lower total weight.
RIP post_id=249274 wrote: go again and again
Sure you want to go that route? Sometimes I don't know when to stop…
RIP post_id=249274 wrote: Pretty much an expedition.
Or, just a multiday hike with no resupply option in my books. And what makes it any different if it was an expedition (vy my definition)?

When my girlfriend and I hiked the Great Divide Trail through the Canadian Rockies from the US border at Waterton to N of Mt. Robson, we met other backpackers on the more famous routes in National Parks like Jasper NP, Banff NP, Waterton NP, Kootenay NP and Yoho NP, where many of them (routes) are long enough, like the Brazeau Loop (80 km), that most backpackers will be out for 3 - 5 days. There are many other famous routes, which would be called an expedition in GB. As a teenager I accompanied the leaders during a bunch of DoE trips (Hulme Grammar School, Oldham), since a good friend was involved as one of the leaders and learned about how differently expedition is defined in GB.

What is a regular hiking holiday (eg the Brazeau Loop, John Muir Trail, Rockwall Trail) for many in North America, is often called an expedition in GB.
It's these 'expeditions' where down right lightness doesn't mean an overall lighter rucksack, since fuel economy comes into play.
RIP post_id=249274 wrote: Your facts don't become false, no. But their "fact" is totally separate from yours. What they meant is different from what they said: "the lightest stove system ever made".
I'm not sure what they meant. How can you be sure? :wink:

[quote="lune ranger" post_id=249390 time=1612693807 user_id=4302]

Doesn’t a pressurised petrol/white gas stove win in this situation - I mean over extended trips. Especially if used with a heat exchanger and wind shield.

An MSR Simmerlite is only 240g (stove/pump) and burns a 1000ml fuel over a about 235 minutes. Considering you can boil 500ml of water in 2 minutes you can easily get 2 weeks of cooking for 1 or 2 people out of that amount of fuel. Solo I’ve done almost 4 weeks.

With butane you are carrying a lot of metal in the form of the fuel cans and the can looses efficiency as it empties. A pressurised petrol stove if kept clean never drops efficiency and you can carry large amounts of fuel in light containers eg. pop bottles.

As far as I’ve ever seen most long wilderness expeditions go with something like an MSR petrol stove rather than gas. It’s certainly been my choice in the past and it would be in future even if I’ve switched to a tiny meths stove for trips of a few days.

[/quote]

It depends on how much water you want/need to heat and how light and efficient the two systems (gas and petrol) are. You can do all the same with any stove system that has fuel you need to carry.

I very rarely (almost never) use petrol apart from "snow melting" trips, since my gas "systems" (oohhh… naughty word!) are so much lighter and require less fuel, that my most efficient petrol system only wins after … well… it's 69 days… (for a solo trip with 1.5 L hot water/day, no snow melting).

We've had this before:
[quote="lune ranger" post_id=222639 time=1593174065 user_id=4302]
As far as cooking is concerned for extended trips without resupply you are going to be best off with a pressurised petrol stove
[/quote]
Remember? My answer:
Very true. I went with a modified XGK and 1.7 L Reactor pot. I went with a large pot since I could/had to melt snow for water for about 1/3 of the trip duration. The XGK may be the loudest, but in my experience the most reliable and efficient stove of the three (Whisperlite, Dragonfly and XGK).

During some tests melting ice (always with some water in the pot), I was happy to find my stove was able to melt and boil 1 L of water with only 25 g of fuel. That's close to half of what usually has to be expected for suxch stoves. Some may find this a lot, but remember it takes twice the amount of fuel to melt and boil ice/snow.

Whilst my kitchen seems heavy, it saves so much weight with its efficiency (and the ability of transporting fuel in PET bottles), that I indeed save a few kg's compared to any efficient gas or alcohol stove (given I'd be stupid enough to use an alcohol stove at 6000 m, at - 18 °C, to melt ice and snow). Also running it half powered, not waiting 'till a proper boil and soaking my food in pouches all adds up to saved weight and volume.
Finally, the lighter fuel options:
I too have argued before that wood is lighter,
but for many/often it's not an option (treeless environment, National Parks/other areas
where making a fire is illegal, areas and circumstances where making a fire is down right stupid etc.) and then there's the lightest of light – crotch cooking. Sounds worse than it is and works astonishingly well.

There you go, lightest stove system; put water in a sealable pouch with food to rehydrate ("cook"), shove it down your croth, give it half an hour, enjoy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While I agree with much but not all of what you've written Gian. The simple fact remains that this is NOT, the 'Lightest stove system ever made'.

You said it yourself
My gas 'system' with a 39 g gas stove, similar sized Toaks ti pot (0.7 L, 115 mm diam, so the flame has more catch) and lid:

126 g for my system. Sometimes I use a selfmade alu lid, which drops another 21 g, but sincw this could be done to the Jetboil, I leave it as is. So, I get...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:52 am The simple fact remains that this is NOT, the 'Lightest stove system ever made'.
That's the point. End of.

All our debates about whether we're on expeditions or multidays or single days or overnighters, or whether we're cooking a ten course gourmet dinner with port and cigars or just brewing some porridge are fun, interesting, useful - but completely irrelevant. The lightest stove system capable of cooking 'a meal' (porridge and tea/coffee!) is probably 8g stove + 70g 400ml pot + 2g windshield + 13g 13ml meths + 5g fuel bottle + 2g matches/striker = 109g. Let's not talk about wood stoves or esbit either...

They could have said "lightest ever stove system capable of cooking full meals on a multi-day trip". But they didn't.

Reckon they're going to have to Do A Carlsberg :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:52 am While I agree with much but not all of what you've written Gian. The simple fact remains that this is NOT, the 'Lightest stove system ever made'.

You said it yourself
My gas 'system' with a 39 g gas stove, similar sized Toaks ti pot (0.7 L, 115 mm diam, so the flame has more catch) and lid:

126 g for my system. Sometimes I use a selfmade alu lid, which drops another 21 g, but sincw this could be done to the Jetboil, I leave it as is. So, I get...
Yes... very true. And?
Alpinum wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 am I agree Stu, with a 100 g or 200 g canister, the difference of fuel efficiency isn't high enough – well not in my case I'm quite sure.
Alpinum wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:15 pm Okay, you win Stu.

It's marketing bs.

More later...
Alpinum wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 am Since eg 'my' (example of) North American backpacker very, very rarely goes self-sufficient trips of such duration and the weight will be equal (anyhow, a 400 g canister would be needed), the claim indeed seems like marketing bs.
How often do you want me to say "you were right, I was wrong?"

Shall I write Jetboil to remove the claim in the next 7 days or I shall have my lawyer take legal action?

It remains an interesting and important thought - what's truly the lightest option for a given trip. It's a variable we can freely play with. Sometimes we want ease of use or speed, sometime the calm sizzling of meths, sometimes the roar of a Dragonfly for proper cooking... and yes, sometimes we just want the most compact and bloody lightest. Horses ...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:52 am While I agree with much but not all of what you've written Gian. The simple fact remains that this is NOT, the 'Lightest stove system ever made'.
That's the point. End of.

All our debates about whether we're on expeditions or multidays or single days or overnighters, or whether we're cooking a ten course gourmet dinner with port and cigars or just brewing some porridge are fun, interesting, useful - but completely irrelevant. The lightest stove system capable of cooking 'a meal' (porridge and tea/coffee!) is probably 8g stove + 70g 400ml pot + 2g windshield + 13g 13ml meths + 5g fuel bottle + 2g matches/striker = 109g. Let's not talk about wood stoves or esbit either...
Well... it's not. My meths stove (Skurka type cat food can) is 6 g. No Sh!t. Whole different ball game. 2 g!

!!!

You define a framework condition in which your example is the lightest. The frame being "a meal". Overnight trips. Fine.
Not every trip is an overnight trip. Perhaps for you.
It's presumptuous to think this is the right framework.

Whilst I agree with above, I also see that many go outdoors in a different framework, where your example isn't the lightest at all.
But as you say yourself, "probably".
Thankfully.

"That's the point, end of" - my favourite argument :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It remains an interesting and important thought - what's truly the lightest option for a given trip. It's a variable we can freely play with. Sometimes we want ease of use or speed, sometime the calm sizzling of meths, sometimes the roar of a Dragonfly for proper cooking... and yes, sometimes we just want the most compact and bloody lightest. Horses ...
It is interesting - I was playing with some figures last week based around a 2 week trip, boiling 2.5l a day. Once you factored everything in, the difference between fuel types was virtually zero. Certainly close enough for the balance to be tipped by a tiny increase / decrease in stove efficiency.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm
It remains an interesting and important thought - what's truly the lightest option for a given trip. It's a variable we can freely play with.
Ah now that's a MUCH better and more interesting question, totally worthy of our valuable time :smile: . Separate thread? Or maybe stick with this one. It's been very entertaining :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:36 pm

You define a framework condition in which your example is the lightest. The frame being "a meal". Overnight trips. Fine.
Not every trip is an overnight trip. Perhaps for you.
It's presumptuous to think this is the right framework.
Nooo-o-o-oooo! There IS no framework! Apart from the ability to 'cook' a basic something. Let's say 400ml water. Without that there's no definition of even what 'a stove [system]' is at all never mind a framework within which it is being used. Apart from that I'm presuming nothing other than basic physics: the weight of something is an absolute. Of course, plainly it's going to be lighter at the top of a mountain, gravitational potential energy etc etc - I'm happy to follow that line if we like :smile: . OK, its mass then if we're going that route (*).

(*) And we can bring in acceleration too if you like. If you have the misfortune to be cooking on your stove whilst accelerating rapidly down a slippery Welsh hillside then it will also be heavier than that of your mate's who astutely set up on the flat patch below that big rock and is therefore cooking in a stationary (**) situation.

(**) Relativity? Yeah ok... so....
"That's the point, end of" - my favourite argument :roll:
Yeah sorry about that. I bloody hate it when people say "end of". I'm lowering This Place to the level of the Comments section of a bbc.co.uk article about EU-exit or C19. It's shoddy debating. I apologise unreservedly to the assembled throng :lol: .

And now amongst other crisis-management jobs I have to go and measure my inlaws' toilet seat because it's bust and I've got to get a new one. And yes I shall be considering the question of within what framework are they utilising the said seat when I evaluate it :roll: .

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

There is a framework condition.

Under quite a few framework conditions in quantum mechanics, Einstein was actually wrong. In others he was right.
Not just because of that (physics blahblah) a framework condition needs to be established in many cases, one is the stove discussion.

Depending on the framework condition of a trip, my different stove systems are each and singularly the lightest.

Thus, with out framework there no statement is valid. etc. etc.

I think by now I've said enough and repeated my statements (hopefully not) too many times.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

While all this ‘lightest stove, discussion is interesting (we all know our personal answers) my main area of intrigue is whether Reg will return from his bog seat trip with it carried around his neck? If so I want pictures.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm While all this ‘lightest stove, discussion is interesting (we all know our personal answers) my main area of intrigue is whether Reg will return from his bog seat trip with it carried around his neck? If so I want pictures.
I think the World Gurning Championships use a horse's collar usually but I would think a bog seat is permissible.

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:23 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm While all this ‘lightest stove, discussion is interesting (we all know our personal answers) my main area of intrigue is whether Reg will return from his bog seat trip with it carried around his neck? If so I want pictures.
I think the World Gurning Championships use a horse's collar usually but I would think a bog seat is permissible.

It's Cumbria (Egremont IIRC) and quite frankly, anything goes there :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Including strawberry korma. Puts beans on weetabix into perspective.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good old Egremont. As you may remember I bivvied in a hen-house just outside the town a couple of years back after they wouldn't let me kip in the pub garden during a storm "because it would upset the other customers" :smile: . I turned down their very generous offer of a £16 room for the night. Sixteen. I almost went for it.

Strawberry korma? Does that help the gurning then? It'd certainly make me pull a funny face.

Or did you mean strawberry karma? I think that was a late-60's flower-power band wasn't it?

mark

Post by mark »

Field test of the latest ultra light stove system is a disappointment

Attachments
sgt_bampbell_and_cook_spencer.jpg
(74.17 KiB) Downloaded 43 times