Apparently this bothy is on the HT550, which is it?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Apparently this bothy is on the HT550, which is it?

Post by Asposium »

Looks a fantastic place to stay when / if we’re allowed to ride in May

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134724601 ... 277864097/

Thanks
fatbikephil

Re: Apparently this bothy is on the HT550, which is it?

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup. I suspect it will be off limits in May as per other bothies but will make a nice lunch stop.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's the Badger Hide, somewhere down Glean Mor as you head down towards Croik, part of the Alladale Estate I think. Its location was discussed in a thread a couple of years ago. You can't see it from the track which is uphill of what that shot is looking at plus it's a pretty fast bit of track so unless you had an idea of where it was you'd probably zip past any path leading to it without noticing it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

unless you had an idea of where it was you'd probably zip past any path leading to it without noticing it.
Very true!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

More of a lunch hut for anglers and shooters than a bothy with one long table and benches/chairs.
Mart

Post by Mart »

As above - nice and cosy inside :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have spent a night there. Stove chimney wasn't comnected when I was there last. I'm not sure if you are 'allowed' to sleep there but nobody turfed us out. There are camp spots nearby too and the ride down the glen is really nice. The estate is doing some interesting things land management wise,.

One time I was there the Bear Grills lot were around in multiple LR Discoverys doing survival stuff with fee paying victims.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Love Alladale Wilderness reserve...

Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

It's not a bothy so much as a wildlife hide/shelter.

I've stayed in it a couple of times, but was very aware I might get told to bugger off as we had to move the table and benches aside to have space to lie down and wondered whether we'd get a late night or early morning rude awakening if the estate brought guests down for viewing. There was a stove but we didn't use it.

It is ace though with viewing right on to the river and opposite hills. Definitely a great one for a break, and I'd assume if you're there later evening you'd be ok.

Just for information though, when we were down in Orkney last October all the bird hides were actually screwed shut with brackets in the door. We were there to bird watch, but I've used some of them to overnight in the past too.
ripio

Post by ripio »

whitestone wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:27 pm . You can't see it from the track which is uphill of what that shot is looking at plus it's a pretty fast bit of track so unless you had an idea of where it was you'd probably zip past any path leading to it without noticing it.
Well I saw it from the track in 2018.
Went down for a look at it, decided to chance our arm staying the night inside but didn't get the sleeping gear out til late in the evening once confident no one was going to turn up and evict us.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

wow, that's stunning. Really nice shelter
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We slept there this summer. ATM goes right past it. The picnic table caught my attention, otherwise we probably wouldn't have noticed it. I didn't mention it in my write-up as I didn't want it over run. It's clearly a private lunch shelter for fishermen, most of whom have probably paid vast sums for the privilege. I appreciated it being left unlocked and so kept quiet.

It's gorgeous, but the lower walls are very damp and emitted such a rank smell that I had trouble not retching when lying on the floor to sleep. And I'm usually pretty hardy.

Still, with the issues we had with midges on that trip we were both very grateful for a place to sit inside and cook and play cards on a table for the evening. Little luxuries.