here is my build - thoughts on luggage etc.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JKM

here is my build - thoughts on luggage etc.

Post by JKM »

TL/DR Just after points tips on this build really as it has a distinct lack of mounting points and is not really the idea frame but i did not consider bikepacking at all when i bought it.

It started out as a Specialized Chisel X1 comp, but it has morphed over the summer into a much more everyday bike.

Since then I have swapped the bars and stem for a very short dmr stem and carbon riser bars, carbon s-works 'overendz' (these scratch like hell!)

The forks are full carbon Lauf TR Boost with 60mm travel

The wheels were changed to a set built with hope pro 4 with CX-Ray blades spokes and carbonal rims and Vittoria Mezcal tan-wall tyres.
To be honest I commissioned these through lockdown boredom and for the looks rather than because they offer any real world advantage. I guess i am a bit of a weight weenie as well, the bike is less than 10kg as it is.

The seatpost is a Thudbuster LT topped with a Fabric scoop elite. this brings its own clearance issues.

hope people can see the pictures, let me know if you cant

These changes make it great for the local trails in suffolk which are mainly flat forest gravel and heathland. I live on the edge of a large heathland/forest/nature reserve with trails starting 1km from home.

It also needs to be an all-round bike as I am slightly challenged for storage, although I do also have 2 X Bromptons as well, plus an older sirrus hybrid, a Raleigh twenty awaiting restoration and an old Dawes English 3-speed that I keep at my mother's as a 'village bike'

So the Chisel is an everyday bike, though admittedly a rather OTT one.

This year I would like add a front rack/bag for going to the shops or work and also make the bike more bike-packable. im hoping to take my first bikepacking overnight in the spring once lockdown is eased. im thinking local first, then a couple of days in the new forest perhaps, then maybe a few days of the king alfreds way.

gearing is currently 1x 36 x11-46 but i have a 38T ring that may fit and would consider a 11-50ish although i would prefer 12-50 if one was made.

The chisel is devoid of braze-on and luggage mounts so this is a bit of an issue.

I have never been that fond of seat-pack bags anyway but the Thudbuster makes fitting one very awkward anyway.

I have ordered a pair of Baryak Mules to attach bottles/cages to the Lauf forks(not my photo, im waiting for them to arrive)

i bought a large bar bag (altura vortex) but it just flops on the front wheel and touches the tyre so im having a rethink and i don't like it getting in the way of the controls.

A conventional front rack is not possible (afaik,) so I am thinking of adding a Timtas steerer-mounted front support and custom bag. I debated trying to source p-clips and a more conventional rack but I'm also nervous or attaching something like this to the carbon fork. i suppose that the stresses the steerer is designed for (i.e. people/crashes) should far outweigh the stresses of a rack so it should be ok

At the rear, to get round the lack of eyelets and the travel of the Thudbuster seatpost, I originally thought if a carradice bagman support and bag, but am now erring more towards a simple rack.

For the rack I like the Tailfin racks or the nitto R-10. Both these options mount at the seatpost and then either the thru-axle or the seatstays which gets around the lack of eyelets.

The Tailfin can have eyelets/braze-on for cages on the support struts, this would be very handy and it would get used for more than just bikepacking so handy too.

but i also love the simplicity of the nitto

or the other option is a full custom timtas rear rack which would basically mimic the nitto but add cage mountings to the support strut.

just wondering about peoples thoughts and ideas really. any other mounting options for narrow tubes, carbon forks etc?
if you hate it, i wont be offended, i know the forks are a bit devisive.
JKM

Re: here is my build - thoughts on luggage etc.

Post by JKM »

regarding what i will be carrying on it.

there will be general use, family day trips etc.

for bikepacking im intending to just use a selection of my lightweight hiking gear which i have collected over the last decade.

tents:
Asta Mid with solid t-zip inner
Tarptent Stratospire 1
Tarptent Notch Li (DCF)

im thinking the asta will be the most suitable as i only have to carry one pole for it, not usually an issue when hiking with poles.

sleeping:
Gramexpert eLite 133 synthetic quilt (I must admit, this is a bit bulky)
Or
alpkit skyehigh 500 (havent really used the alpkit, its more just in case)
Exped Synmat Hyperlite MW

kitchen:
Evernew 600ml ECA251 & trail designs sidewinder
Evernew 1.3l & trail designs sidewinder for two+ people
various toaks 550L, alpkit 900, soto amicus, speedster shield setups as well

im sure there are some things i have forgotten.
Last edited by JKM on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Thule racks work very well and are also very secure. May seem like overkill when compared to some but there's nothing worse than a rack you can't fully trust.

May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think standard seat packs and thudbusters have been done. Pretty sure revelate do an strap extender for just that. A seat pack is defo better than rack for normal bikepacking loads.

For your bar roll people with low bars have used those handlebar accessory extender thingies to raise the height of the bar harness away from the wheel.https://www.amazon.co.uk/jiele-Handleba ... s9dHJ1ZQ== or similar.
JKM

Post by JKM »

htrider wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:49 pm For your bar roll people with low bars have used those handlebar accessory extender thingies to raise the height of the bar harness away from the wheel.https://www.amazon.co.uk/jiele-Handleba ... s9dHJ1ZQ== or similar.
Is the idea to attach the bag to it?
Or to have it above the bag to offer additional support and something to tie to?

Thanks.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JKM wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:29 pm
Is the idea to attach the bag to it?
Or to have it above the bag to offer additional support and something to tie to?

Thanks.
Both - there is a thread somewhere on the MYOG about using these mounted below the bar to act as an additional support for the bag (to keep it off the head tube) and above the bar to raise it away from the wheel. I think one guy even used two - one above, one below - to hold the bag away from the bars. Bit like a Salsa EXP anything cradle (which is another option but a bit spendy)