BB200 - What MTB shoes did people wear ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chicken Legs

BB200 - What MTB shoes did people wear ?

Post by Chicken Legs »

Looking for a more comfortable, grippy pair of MTB shoes and I am interested to know what you chaps were wearing last weekend ?

p.s. My feet are fairly normal it's only my legs that are chicken like !!
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
johnnystorm

Re: BB200 - What MTB shoes did people wear ?

Post by johnnystorm »

AM51s & Sealskins. Feet stayed dry until 65miles/Strata Florida.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I wore inov8 fell shoes and some merino socks. Feet get wet quickly,but shoes are light and grippy and drain well. I put on an old pair of overshoes and cut the sole so I could walk in them when necessary. Neoprene socks do a similar job though I guess.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Shimano Winter Boots, MW80 or whatever they are. Feet were dry for a long time, not sure when they actually got wet but my tootsies were toastie for the whole ride.

I try to only wear them when I need long distance warmth as they take a fair while to dry. I forgot to dry them properly with news paper etc and they are still damp now.

For normal autumn / mild winter riding I go for summer shoes plus warm hiking socks or seal skins
composite

Post by composite »

Northwave Celsius winter boots. I love them and would happily replace them with another pair when they wear out. I had dry feet all the way up till I think the last but one river crossing.

My review here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... ts-review/
Dainiusd

Post by Dainiusd »

Cheap Shimano M077 shoes and two layers of wool socks. Got wet realy quickly, but shoes drain well and wool does the job - feet were warm while pedaling ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Standard shimano Jobbies (these ones I think, but different colour!) with some coolmax socks. The soles are more flexible than the gaerne's I race in, so it's possible to walk in them which helped. Feet didn't really get cold, it wasn't actually that cold for Wales though :|
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Thanks, that was useful info.

Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
royAB

Post by royAB »

Sidis (with studs), merino socks under gortex oversocks - wet from the 1st ford but still light, comfortable and gripy 39 1/2 hours later. Last year in Shimano winter boots - ended up with 1KG of mud on each foot. Hope that helps
slarge

Post by slarge »

I did it a week earlier, but same temps etc. Used very old Specialized race MTB shoes with added ventilation and merino socks. Feet were wet from the first ford and stayed wet the whole ride, but merino socks kept them warm. If it were colder (like last year) I would have used Shimano MW81 waterproof boots or overshoes and summer shoes. My feet (and hands) normally stay warm down to 0degC though.