Going abroad at this time

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: Going abroad at this time

Post by Taylor »

tobasco wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:40 pm
*If that is representative of the new IT industries to take the UK into the Brave New Post Covid world, lord help us.
The wife had a friend working on upgrading the NHS systems about 10 years ago and they threw good money after bad. After at least a couple of years on, she was no further forward from the day she started so it's not new for government based IT systems to be unfit for purpose. :roll:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Yep, HMG track record with IT in NHS not good, wouldn’t survive out here in the private world. The problems go back to the 90s, so it’s not just this gov. Such a complex set of issues, multitude of inputs from lots of departments with agendas. And a public/media waiting to jump on the slightest problem doesn’t help. Maybe Dom Cummings was/is correct, he identified this sort of thing as an issue needing root and branch pruning.

Oh how I wish lockdown would end, need to get out there and reduce the amount of time spent thinking about this sort of thing.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

tobasco wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:53 pm

Oh how I wish lockdown would end, need to get out there and reduce the amount of time spent thinking about this sort of thing.
I was thinking about this today. It's not just the lockdown/restrictions, it's that fact that the virus seems to have taken over all of the usual conversation. TBF, it's not helped by the act that my wife is a front-line care worked in the NHS and so it's a massive thing in our lives. I'd like to be able to switch off and ignore all the news but I just can't - it's not the way my brain works.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:28 pm I'd like to be able to switch off and ignore all the news but I just can't - it's not the way my brain works.
I spent many of my younger years without tv and not paying much attention to news. Blissful ignorance; probably. Once you become interested in something (politics, Covid, etc) the internet makes it far too easy to overload on information. As a Sci-fi fan of many decades, I have to remind myself we are living through a historic period straight out of a novel, and I don’t hear any fat lady singing.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

tobasco wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:48 pm As a Sci-fi fan of many decades, I have to remind myself we are living through a historic period straight out of a novel, and I don’t hear any fat lady singing.
Brave New World, 1984 or World War Z?
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:53 pm
Brave New World, 1984 or World War Z?
:). Started with Z, we’re now in 1984, post Covid will be BNW.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I did think we were veering towards Fahrenheit 451 for a while with the ‘who needs experts’ talk from a couple of back. :grin: