MYOG pot stand / windscreen

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

MYOG pot stand / windscreen

Post by Charliecres »

Just finished this and thought someone on here might be interested. It's made of 0.5mm aluminium sheet (£6 from ebay) with four tiny bolts holding it together and a couple of coat hanger wire skewers to support the pot. I based it on the Firebucket design but made it in two sections so it would nest neatly around my MyTimug. It weighs 210g inc coke can stove and mug. Not as light as a Caldera cone and probably not as efficient but it works and it's reasonably rugged.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: MYOG pot stand / windscreen

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nice job Charlie ... a couple of things spring to mind though (feel free to tell me to bugger off) ;)

Is your stove a centre or side burner? If it's a side burner, it looks like there's quite a gap between the base of your pot and the top of the stove ... centre burners tend to work far better with heavily enclosed windshields.

You only seem to have a single air intake. This tends to make the flame burn towards one side and starve the side furthest from the intake. Also, I'd consider adding some 'exhaust' vents about 30mm down from the edge of the top section.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks for the tips - it's a first go for me and definitely experimental. I'm using a top burning coke can stove which is about 40mm high, giving about 30mm between it and the pot. I did wonder about putting some more vent holes near the top and I'll probably give it a try at some point to see what effect it has. Would you add them all the way round the top?

The single intake is taken from the Firebucket design. The guy who designed it reckons it's better than multiple holes but I can see why it might make the stove burn off-centre. I didn't have any problems on this afternoon's test runs but it was fairly sheltered. It burned clean and boiled a full mug from the outside tap in a few minutes (didn't time it). Would you recommend trying some circular holes all round the bottom?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Slots actually work better than round holes (for both intake and outlet) but round holes will do the trick. If you're experimenting, try leaving the single intake and adding an 'exhaust' on the opposite side ... that should* pull the flame across the base of your pot. Kind of chimney effect.

* Remember I said should ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Ta, I'll try that