Meth Stove / Cooking Best Practices

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Callmedave

Meth Stove / Cooking Best Practices

Post by Callmedave »

Hi,

Looking for some advice on best practice when using Stu's 22g meth stove. Sorry for the complete noddy questions, I am new to using meth stoves. I have had a 'play' with the stove at home and managed to get 500ml of water boiling in about 6 minutes from lighting. I waited 2 minute for it to bloom, and then a further 4 minutes to boil the water. Considering how cold it is outside I was impressed with its performance. Can you please help with my following questions/thoughts:

1) How much fuel should I add to boil 500ml of water? I poured some in and the burner kept going for a further 4 minutes after I removed the pan once the water was boiling. I assume that once I know this I can plan how much fuel to take per day on a trip?
2) Once cooking is finished is there a way to put out the fire and preserve fuel? Or do I just let it burn out?
3) Can the fuel be topped up while burning? Or is this dangerous?
4) Do you need to clean the stove or do any maintenance on it? E.g. poke a skewer in the holes?
5) I cleaned it once and some of the black coating on the inside came away. Does this matter? Can I renew it?
6) Does anyone take anything to wash and dry the spork and ti pans after use? Or do you just rinse it round with some left over boiling water?
7) Is the fuel bottle which comes with the stove any good? I worry it might pop open on its own if something is pushed against it.
8) Any other tips?

Apologies again for the basic questions.

Cheers!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Meth Stove / Cooking Best Practices

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

1) How much fuel should I add to boil 500ml of water? I poured some in and the burner kept going for a further 4 minutes after I removed the pan once the water was boiling. I assume that once I know this I can plan how much fuel to take per day on a trip?
It will vary upon conditions but as a guide, try 20ml.

2) Once cooking is finished is there a way to put out the fire and preserve fuel? Or do I just let it burn out?
You'll struggle. Better to try and gauge the fuel going in rather than save it.

3) Can the fuel be topped up while burning? Or is this dangerous?
NO! You can refuel once it's out but please don't try before.

4) Do you need to clean the stove or do any maintenance on it? E.g. poke a skewer in the holes?
Not really and I'd advise against sticking anything in the jet holes as it may enlarge them. You can keep the outside clean with a bit of fine wire-wool if you like.

5) I cleaned it once and some of the black coating on the inside came away. Does this matter? Can I renew it?
Won't make any difference.

6) Does anyone take anything to wash and dry the spork and ti pans after use? Or do you just rinse it round with some left over boiling water?
Personally, I just give stuff a quick rinse but that obviously depends what your cooking. Moss works very well for cleaning out pans.

7) Is the fuel bottle which comes with the stove any good? I worry it might pop open on its own if something is pushed against it.
I recently changed lids to 'disc caps' which are better than the old style 'flip caps'. Store the bottle sensibly and you should be fine.

8) Any other tips?
Keep the fuel and stove warm and Insulate the base with something in cold weather.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Meths stoves are bit of a learning curve, they definitely aren't "plug and play"

1) It depends, mostly on ambient temperature and the temperature of the water to start with. You just have to sort of know how much to use, guesswork to begin with.
2) Not really, see point #1.
3) Never tried it. The stove has such little mass it cools down to below the self-ignition temperature of meths very quickly so as soon as the stove uses up the fuel you can refill it.
4)Nope
5)Nope, no need.
6) Tend to use pour and store bags: boil water in mug, pour into bag with meal in it to rehydrate. No cleaning of mug required.
7)The bottle's fine but I wouldn't jump up and down on it!
8) Warm everything up in your pockets prior to use, meths will ignite better if it isn't being a heat sink. The stove is so light it will warm up in a couple of minutes with hand warmth. Some form of wick is also useful - clothes dryer lint is what I use.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

1) 20ml works for me, as has been said above.

I have one of these in with my cook kit so I can measure out the fuel, I scrounged it from a chemist for free (the shop not the person) but that was pre-covid when you could go in a chemist, they have other priorities these days,

Others mark 20ml increments on the side of their fuel bottles. I have multiple fuel bottles and not all are see-through so find the measure more convenient.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Callmedave

Post by Callmedave »

Thanks for the swift responses and for not taking the piss of my naivety. Ill try prewarming and using a wick next time.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've not used the 22g stove, my wife has the 8g and I use a homemade beer can stove (cheapskate!). A bloom time of two minutes seems very long, 30-60 seconds would be more normal. The long time to bloom might be due to no pre-warming of stove and fuel.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Callmedave

Post by Callmedave »

whitestone wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:31 pm I've not used the 22g stove, my wife has the 8g and I use a homemade beer can stove (cheapskate!). A bloom time of two minutes seems very long, 30-60 seconds would be more normal. The long time to bloom might be due to no pre-warming of stove and fuel.
Yes I reckon it was due to not pre-warming and it being below freezing outside. A good test for it in difficult conditions!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A bloom time of two minutes seems very long, 30-60 seconds would be more normal.
A warm stove will bloom quicker but do remember that a 22g has much thicker walls than a pop can stove, so takes longer to warm up.

Also just thought with regard to tips - don't underestimate the importance of a well thought out windshield. Windshields need to provide two contrary functions (a) keeping the wind off the stove and (b) allowing adequate air both in and out. Simply wrapping the entire thing in a close fitting blanket of foil (as often seen) will result in poor efficiency.
RIP

Post by RIP »

What's the optimum gap at the top of the shield Stu - between shield and pot.

One thing I'd like is a tiny sliver of mirror so I can see if it's gone out after putting the pot on. I know it shouldn't but it's just happened to me for no apparent reason (8g, 400ml, indoors and warm). That's the only thing which gives me a little frisson of apprehension when using it :smile: . Or maybe cut a small viewing slot in the shield but I guess would need to be careful with its dimensions.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tend to think if the shield is parallel with the pot, then you really want at least 10mm gap all round. If the shield goes some way up the sides of the pot, it's worth increasing the gap beyond 10mm. A tapered shield can be made closer fitting around the top if you add vent holes 10mm or so above the base of the pot. Think of the stove as an engine and the windshield as both the carb and exhaust.
it's just happened to me for no apparent reason (8g, 400ml, indoors and warm).
Wait a little longer before putting your pot on.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:23 pm One thing I'd like is a tiny sliver of mirror so I can see if it's gone out after putting the pot on.
Use it outside in the dark and you'll be able to see the light of the flame. Being indoors is where you're going wrong, that's what the kettle is for :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:35 pm
I tend to think if the shield is parallel with the pot, then you really want at least 10mm gap all round. If the shield goes some way up the sides of the pot, it's worth increasing the gap beyond 10mm. A tapered shield can be made closer fitting around the top if you add vent holes 10mm or so above the base of the pot. Think of the stove as an engine and the windshield as both the carb and exhaust.
it's just happened to me for no apparent reason (8g, 400ml, indoors and warm).
Wait a little longer before putting your pot on.
Ta. My gap has been 5mm - seemed to work ok - but will increase to 10. My shield is slightly tapered.

Could've sworn I'd left it long enough before mounting it (ooer) but yep will try longer.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:14 pm
RIP wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:23 pm One thing I'd like is a tiny sliver of mirror so I can see if it's gone out after putting the pot on.
Use it outside in the dark and you'll be able to see the light of the flame. Being indoors is where you're going wrong, that's what the kettle is for :wink:
Doh, I was wondering what that thing was for! I've been washing my socks in it.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could've sworn I'd left it long enough before mounting it (ooer) but yep will try longer.
The 8g has such a small internal air volume when full that burning vapour or burning liquid is a fine balance Reg.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Got you. Will have a tinker. Needs caressing then. Just shouting at the 22g generally works though.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've got my 8g stove siliconned onto a bean tin base. As well as adding stability, if you slightly overfill the stove so that fuel dribbles out onto the grooves in the tin lid and light this, the flare time is a couple of seconds. Can lead to a bit of a conflagration if you get carried away mind...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

htrider wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:39 pm I've got my 8g stove siliconned onto a bean tin base. As well as adding stability, if you slightly overfill the stove so that fuel dribbles out onto the grooves in the tin lid and light this, the flare time is a couple of seconds. Can lead to a bit of a conflagration if you get carried away mind...
Now that, sir/madam, is a great idea. I will do exactly this.
I'm just going outside ...