1 x 10 for a whimp

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Brothersmith

1 x 10 for a whimp

Post by Brothersmith »

Ok, just got a Krampus and it's going to be way easier to set up 1 x 10 . Only trouble is I like to spin and due to ton of metal work in my leg low rev grinding gives it jip.

So questions are;
Those who have dropped your granny ring do you miss it?
Is 1 x 10 better in the mud or do still need to give it some love to keep shifting smooth?
Anybody got experiance of a General lee adaptor?

Basically I think I need to be convinced to man up :roll:
Mart

Re: 1 x 10 for a whimp

Post by Mart »

I too cant SS grind too much, so have been using an Alfine hub (on my Swift)
34 wonky ring and 18T out back gives me a good range from low to high

Might be another option to consider
2924 miles per Gallon
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Haven't looked much, so I dunno if it exists...but.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/SRAM-XX1-O ... -2012.html

Check out the 42T cassette on there! ;)

so that's 11 speed, dunno if a 10 speed version exists...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I run 1 x 10 on my 'guiding bike', it's set up with a 32 front ring and a 11-36 block. I don't really miss the granny but I'm not dragging great big wheels and tyres about either.

I wouldn't mess about with a General Lee set up myself ... if I really thought I'd want something that low I'd just set it up with 2 front rings.

In all honesty, I can't tell you to 'man up' and get on with it because in reality it will be harder running 1 x 10 than 2 x something. Running a 30t front ring will help a little but you'll still have to push harder (or maybe push more) ;)

A 1 x 10 set up has a gear spread of around 325% which is about the same as an 8spd hub gear. Also remember that the bigger 29+ wheel radius will also make a difference (it'll feel harder for a given ratio).
May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Running 1x9 on a Swift - went with a Hope 32t on the front on old XT cranks and recycled the cassette on the back so I am guessing 11-34? Seems to be OK and I have to get off and push as before. Nice spread of gears for pottering about but occasionally miss the granny ring on steep tarmac as I like to spin too.
Pauls Chain Keeper but not really sure it's needed with the Hope ring.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Thanks for advice all. I do have an Alfine knocking round garage I considered putting on but I ran a Rohloff a few years ago and never really got on with all that weight out back.

I plan the Krampus to be my trail bike, will still keep Fargo with a triple for bikepacking duties. I think Stu may be right and a regular 1 x 10 may be too hardcore. I could live with a general lee adapter but the reviews on them are very varied. Ideal would be x01 but not that rich :(

May have to try and fit my existing double then and hope for x91 or 12-40 cassette from shimano ;)