The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by woodsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:55 pm
Which one? Very interested
One of these Dave. I couldn't really find a bad review.

https://thermos.co.uk/ultimate-flask-500ml
Looks good. Does it fit in a standard bottle cage?
Verena

Post by Verena »

A jar of posh honey from Uganda, cheers Shaf :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

...with a PNW Pine dropper post and loam lever. This was my pref after my debate on droppers last year sometime except they weren't available then so ended up with a KS lev. This has been OK (and was cheap) but the PNW is much nicer with a machined saddle errr saddle rather than one that slots over the post. Lifetime warranty and full spares back up. The lev will go on the Kramp and the PNW on the Jones. The thompson will be launched over the back hedge....

Interestingly I ordered it direct from PNW in the states last Wednesday and it arrived today. They sorted all the taxes and the only bugger is getting stiffed by paypal for foreign currency payment fees. That said it worked out the same as buying it from a UK dealer but no-one had it in stock.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

RIP wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:17 pm :-bd We look forward to seeing a few photos?

If you run out of ideas:
:lol: Looks like that lot will keep me busy for a while, the neighbours will think I’ve taken up supersized napkin folding.
Although if I got it right then I could fold my tarp into a real sized swan instead of a napkin sized swan... I’ve digressed.
Back on topic - I’ll try to get some photos!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
RIP

Post by RIP »

shutuplegs wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:01 pm napkin folding... Although if I got it right then I could fold my tarp into a real sized swan instead of a napkin sized swan...
It was my father's 88th birthday recently; he's into birds so I made an origami flapping bird to put inside his birthday card. If you could manage that with the tarp that'd be seriously impressive :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does it fit in a standard bottle cage?
Yes but you may need to tweak the cage a fraction depending what cage it is.

I put boiling water in it earlier and six hours later it was still hot enough to scald ... ask me how I know :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

How do you... No, never mind.
ton

Post by ton »

.........and brought me a xxxl Gravelwanker t shirt, and it fits ace. :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:16 pm
I put boiling water in it earlier and six hours later it was still hot enough to scald ... ask me how I know :-bd
I hope you didn't tell it off too much....

SORRY... :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Peter - letting the side down there somewhat. Now dealt with and thank god Bridget didn't see it :wink:
psling

Post by psling »

:grin:

I received some post today, one of those gas adaptor valve thingies to fill from flat gas to flat gas that was linked on here the other day :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

psling wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:24 pm :grin:

I received some post today, one of those gas adaptor valve thingies to fill from flat gas to flat gas that was linked on here the other day :-bd
Don’t you just end up with two equally flat gas canisters?
psling

Post by psling »

jam bo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:25 pm
psling wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:24 pm :grin:

Don’t you just end up with two equally flat gas canisters?
I've absolutely no idea! When I say "flat gas" I mean the dumpy primus type canisters of LPG so it'll be one over the other transferring liquid. What could possibly go wrong.... :cool:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

and delivered a very nice #Gravelwanker Tee-shirt and a Cranked magazine!!
:-bd
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Verena wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm A jar of posh honey from Uganda, cheers Shaf :smile:
Had wondered about this and just noted the tracking confirmed delivery... which lead me to here :-bd Do let us know how it tastes and whether I should be buying some myself :smile: Enjoy (and don't let any bears get wind it's there)...
burty

Post by burty »

A pair of 45nrth Ragnarok shoes . Hopefully to keep the feet warm , if they don't expect the in the classifieds by Sunday :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:00 pm
Verena wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm A jar of posh honey from Uganda, cheers Shaf :smile:
Had wondered about this and just noted the tracking confirmed delivery... which lead me to here :-bd Do let us know how it tastes and whether I should be buying some myself :smile: Enjoy (and don't let any bears get wind it's there)...
Will do, but am on keto for a few weeks to shift the Christmas bulge, so will have to wait for a bit can't wait :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Massive box for a tiny lens
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What does it do John?
RIP

Post by RIP »

... with 550ml Ti pot. So I now do have a pot to piss in if I so wish. No no, cook pot of course.

It's the 'ultralight' version (surely we should be swearfiltering that word out :smile:) and is an insane 72g.

Already got a 400 and a 750. 400 is good for brews and the 750 for longer trips. The 750 has always been too large but never 'needed' to change it. Why now? Unfortunately another piece of gear has just given up the ghost and needs replacing, a separate story, but my pot is related to it and one of its dimensions now needs to be less than 8.5cms. The 750 is 10.5cm x 11cm, but the 550 (a rare size it seems, was dead pleased to find it) is perfect at 9.5 dia x 8 high - quite low rise for the capacity. Curiously the 400 is 8.5 dia by 9.5 high.

Only problem now is my 'russian doll' kitchen setup needs another yogurt pot that will fit exactly into the 550. After a lot of effort fiddling, the other pots have everything nested in them for a brew and porridge - pot, windshield, eating bowl (yog pot), folding spoon, stove, stove mat, fuel, matches, porridge and ovaltine/teabags/sugar. The 400 does one breakfast and the 750 two or three. Hoping the 550 will do the same as the 750.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Is it a Toaks one? I've got a cut down plastic pot of some sort that's just the right size to fit inside mine, cant remember what it had in it originally though, I can look tonight.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yah it is indeed. If you could check your pot that'd be much appreciated. I'm sure it must have been your good self who was 'watching' my russian doll contortions a couple of years ago, and the most important question (correctly!) for you was what originally came in the pot! Turns out the 750 needed Morrison's cream but the 400 had to have some sort of very expensive posh pudding from Waitrose.

It was interesting that the Waitrose staff didn't bat an eyelid while I spent half an hour checking the dimensions of all the pots in the yogs and puddings aisle with a tape measure one day. To be honest they normally just bob down behind their counters or slope off into the store room when I go in anyway. We actually get on fine after my 30 years of custom, despite the slight wobble years ago when I took my Brompton in (easy to put shopping into the front bag) and the security fellow opined that they would look upon Sir in a kindly light if Sir might avail himself of the cycle stands provided outside, or some similar statement in Waitrosese. I thanked him cordially for his considerate thought and continued into the shop with it. It's never been mentioned again since even though the Brom is my regular companion.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A sledgehammer and two pairs of work gloves from Screwfix. Trail maintenance here I come.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:40 pm Yah it is indeed. If you could check your pot that'd be much appreciated.
I have programmed a reminder in my telecommunication device so I don't forget as on the ride home all of the days thoughts often get blown away by the headwind, which is no bad thing :smile: I looked back through my photos but it's never quite in the picture.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

ta chap :-bd .

I'm now on tenterhooks about what was in yours...