Highland trail 550!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Highland trail 550!!

Post by ianfitz »

I just happened to notice earlier that the new extended route is now online on the HT site. The Northern extension looks good. Plus it now goes through lochinver home of a genuinely world class pie shop. Contenders will need to time their arrival for when the shop is open. It could be a devastating and race ending catastrophe to see it shut!
FLV

Re: Highland trail 550!!

Post by FLV »

dont believe him. It'll be longer. i covered nearly 450 on the HTR400...
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

I see they've had a minor toys-out-the-pram about the discount for locals! Good reading on Tripadvisor. :lol:

The chef in the pub is a roadie, gave some helpful advice when we went through drop-bar touring last year. He didn't tell us the hill out was so steep though... 2 pints didn't help the bladder on that uphill. :shock:
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Wow, a pietown. It's like a mini TD now. We need to get a petition to release some bears.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I notice the GPX file is named 560...

Despite the pain and suffering of earlier this year, this might be a challenge too big to resist!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:I notice the GPX file is named 560...

Despite the pain and suffering of earlier this year, this might be a challenge too big to resist!

And when I imported it into menorymap it says 915km which is 567 miles anyway. I think we all know to take any quoted distance with a pinch of salt :) and in any case the last 25km of the bb200 took me about as long as the first 60.

At least the extension looks mostly very rideable. Should only add a day :0 to the ride. For the fast 'uns that is.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Should've added on another 85km to take it to 1,000 then - "in for a penny, in for a pound" eh?

:lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ian wrote:I notice the GPX file is named 560...

tell me about it.

also, i think the fisherfield section is worth double miles...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Alan tells me he found a better way into Fisherfield on a 4x4 track, which dramatically reduces the push in. Couple of of route changes should also help make it more rideable.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ive run in to the fisherfield bothy before. From memory the new route is considerably more rideable than the original.

I'm going to see how I feel over the next few days but would love to do the HT550. Just need to think about whether six months time is too soon...
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I wanna do this!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ian wrote:Alan tells me he found a better way into Fisherfield on a 4x4 track, which dramatically reduces the push in. Couple of of route changes should also help make it more rideable.
Looks like the run down to the river crossing goes around the mountain rather than over the top.

Want to ride the route, but undecided as to race or tour
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bugger ... dates clash with the WRT again. When I saw the HT date I hadn't realised that the bank holiday was that early :(
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:Bugger ... dates clash with the WRT again. When I saw the HT date I hadn't realised that the bank holiday was that early :(
I think it always will. June is the ideal time for Scotland so the second bank holiday works very well for anyone taking the week off to take part.
Move the WRT to the first May bank holiday?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've never done the WRT, but isnt it and the HT550 very very different events?

How likely is it that you get a lot of people going for both at that sort of time of year?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hmmmmmmm.... :geek:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never done the WRT, but isnt it and the HT550 very very different events?

How likely is it that you get a lot of people going for both at that sort of time of year?
Yeah you're right, any 'overlap' is pretty small ... but I was kinda thinking about me ;)

Chews idea of the WRT at the start of May might not be bad though. I'm thinking that the weather at the start of the month is usually better than the end.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I see the Toridon descent has changed too. Pity it'll miss out on one of my favourite little bits where the track around edges of a small loch were very slightly submerged. Quite a magical little place to ride that was.
But, the new descent is longer, higher and allegedly betterer according to Alan.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I enjoyed the toridon bit too, but according to Alan 'I'll love the new bit'

Which could mean anything....
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Will not be racing it but would love to tour it next year sometime.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Likewise ^ not done much riding in Scotland and this sounds like a good loop. Don't really fancy racing through any more beautiful places in the dark again yet though.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I experienced some spectacular scenery because of the dark.
But I hear what you're sayin' ;)
FLV

Post by FLV »

At the top end there, it's probably light till 11:30 / 12:00
jameso

Post by jameso »

And I hear you both and you're right and I'm still not persuaded, much, for now )
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So I've done some contemplation on this one. I have no intention of doing the group ride in 2014...

This is because saddle time is going to have to be reduced whilst I start my new job and finish off my master course in the free time I would be otherwise riding....

I also learnt at the BB200 I can without really realising it push a bit too hard - on a normal length event this doesn't really present big problems, but with my lack of experience (and slightly competitive streak if I think I can be competitive...) I'd do some damage and need to build up some experience first - The last 8 hours of the BB200 really hurt!

So, I may well have a crack at this solo at some point, or with someone else if they wanted to, but more socially. I suspect if solo, I may well have a crack at a half decent time, but without the pressure of racing for a position.

I think as the BB200 as my sort of first go at this type of racing; I can see me pursuing this a bit more than I did social XC racing - something about a lot of it being about mental toughness and knowledge of your bike/kit than pure fitness that has me hooked. I also really liked everyone I met on the Bear Bones, everyone seemed like a genuine person - thankyou all for that :)

I might also have to try some big wheels...not tried them yet, and I can't use the "it's difficult to find parts" excuse anymore :geek: