jones advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cocker

jones advice

Post by Cocker »

hope you don't mind,but i'm toying with the idea of a jones frame later on this year.i've seen a jones spaceframe 29,but with the unicrown fork on ebay.i was hoping any of you jones owners could advise me what size tyres it can take?
i normally ride 29+,but fancied trying a full fat front.
also is there any dealers still in the uk?

thanks
ton

Re: jones advice

Post by ton »

i must resist..................... :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Cocker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:13 pm hope you don't mind,but i'm toying with the idea of a jones frame later on this year.i've seen a jones spaceframe 29,but with the unicrown fork on ebay.i was hoping any of you jones owners could advise me what size tyres it can take?
i normally ride 29+,but fancied trying a full fat front.
also is there any dealers still in the uk?

thanks
Don't think you'll suit a Jones Cocker... You need a nice Indy Fab you do (so does Ton)
jameso

Post by jameso »

ton wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:17 pm i must resist..................... :lol:
Don't - the inevitable positives from owners needs balance?

OP, if it's the older QR frame they will take 2.4" Ardents at the rear with mud room, maybe a 2.5 in summer. The unicrown fork will take fat fronts up to 4" I think but not 100% sure.

The guy who was bringing them into the UK has stopped doing that now so it's all done via the retailers - Bothy Bikes, Keep Pedalling and a few others.

I have the Ti SF and a steel diamond with steel truss, both the older QR version / original geometry. The most engaging and addictive off-road bike I've ever owned and up there with anything I've ridden for XC, long distance and bikepacking. Also done some tarmac touring on the steel bike - really enjoyed it. It hits a balance of qualities that imo are very difficult to achieve in one bike design. Whether those qualities work for you is another matter. For me the mix/balance of technical/fun ability with the distance efficiency is just superb, partic in a rigid bike.
Wouldn't put it in the place of a full suss bike in rocky+fast places if I had the option but I have done some technical riding across Alps and other places on it. Depends what you want the fat front for.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I had a jones sf steel with truss and all ill say is the truss was the best part of the bike, by a long way. I'd like to have tried a diamond and truss, i wouldn't want a sf with unicrown tbh but that's maybe just me
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Spaceframe with a unicrown fork is a bit of an odd combo. Make sure the fork and frame are of similar vintage as the later frames have substantially different geo. Older forks will take up to a 4" only.

I'd say go for the latest one if you can stretch to it, particularly the LWB that takes 29+ or a 4.8" fat fr*ont. (SWB takes 27.5+ or 29er rear but also takes a 4.8 up front.) I've never actually tried mine with a fat front as I've never felt the need but I suspect it will make a great bike greater, downhill at least.

Jameso has it right, I'll just add that I've never felt so balanced on a bike which makes it the best I've ever had for riding through drastic nadgery stuff. Downside? a lot of dosh for a taiwan built steel frame.....
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

thanks for the replies,
i ride a stooge speedball 29x3,and had a fat bike on loan for a couple of weeks last year.found it good fun and very comfy.
just thought a fat front jones would compliment it nicely .